Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

What is superceding the K5

Hi, the answer is probably buried in another thread, but I'm a bit lazy
Any clues as to what is in storef store for the next "flagship"
The K30 looks pretty much like a built down K5 to me, more or less the same camera but with a consumer build.

08-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB Quote
Hi, the answer is probably buried in another thread, but I'm a bit lazy
Any clues as to what is in storef store for the next "flagship"
The K30 looks pretty much like a built down K5 to me, more or less the same camera but with a consumer build.
There:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/193453-pentax-announce...photokina.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/196401-k-5-successor-updates.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/144302-k-3-speculation.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/194622-k5-replacement.html

That'll keep you busy for a while.

JP
08-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

N O NOT another one . STOP enought what next. REfer to the other post PLease per jpzk
08-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
MrB
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you, jpzk, I'll check those links out
Sorry bobmaxja, I didn't mean to cause you high blood pressure. Like I said, I'm a bit lazy.

08-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah ... this better end right here ... it will give us Canucks a "lazy"reputation !

JP
08-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

by the time this thread ends, there will be rumors of 4 different cameras replacing the K5. We will probably get an advanced bridge camera with an APSC sensor
08-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
4 different cameras replacing the K5
Wow! Where did you read/see/imagine this!!!??? Can't wait for them to be announced at Photokina!

08-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

well, one was announced already, X-5 it looks good from a distance.......
08-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That would be the K-3.

Pentax has a history of pairing up there mid range and prosumer models such as K100/K10, K200/K20, and so it would make sense that they'd follow suit and pair the K-3 with the K30.

As for the specs it's anyone guess at this point, though all fingers seem to point to a 24mp APS-C camera this round. This in spite of what alot of people are hoping for(FF).

Anyways... my gut tells me that the K3 will come as more of a catch-up system in terms of what's out there(MP wars) and perhaps a few new features such as focus peeking which will be nice for us MF shooters. Other than that... I'm thinking we won't see Pentax entering the FF arena any time soon I'm afraid. Not that I wouldn't want that, but that's what my gut tells me.

PS. some people use their noses to tell them stuff. Whereas I use my gut. (similar but different ).

Last edited by JohnBee; 08-28-2012 at 01:31 PM.
08-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

We know that something will have to replace the K-5. Chances are very high it will be APS-C. I thought this information sounded credible:
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
K-5 Successor Updates
There will almost certainly be a higher-end APS-C camera announced around the time of Photokina; there may be an entry level model as well. Although K-3 would be logical, I wouldn't count on any particular names - I think it depends on how many models Pentax is coming out with and how they are positioning them.

The FF model could be released any time in about the next 6-9 months - there's no concrete information as to when, or what the name will be. But we know some kind of FF is coming because Pentax all but said they were creating one last January. I don't think Ricoh had a chance to get the project going before early last fall, so it must have started sometime between then and January. Add 12-18 months for development and you have your time frame. Because of the market situation we know Pentax would prefer to shorten the time frame, but that doesn't mean it can be done. It could also be delayed because they have to prepare 2-4 lenses (whether their own design or someone else's, like Tokina's) - probably all zooms (e.g. 2 kit and 2 pro). The focal lengths would be so obviously FF they wouldn't even dare put them on the lens roadmap. As for the camera's name? It's immaterial right now - I could believe just about anything.

Actually, the biggest mystery to me is whether Pentax would dare announce a FF model more than 2 months before they can actually sell it? If not, the probability of hearing about it next month seems rather low. But I do believe that by December or January we'll begin to get some credible rumors, telling us it's near. But until then we know they're working on it because of what Pentax has said (and what they've refused to deny) about it - in fact, some representatives were so excited about the project they could hardly contain themselves! .

I know some people get "tired of hearing about FF," but denying it now is just as senseless as believing it was 2 years ago, when Hoya was clear they were not working on one! If we can just stop denying it, we can all quietly wait and see how much longer it takes now.

Last edited by DSims; 08-26-2012 at 01:59 AM.
08-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh goodie, a new thread so we can start afresh and pretend as if we have never been here b4. I wish I could put myself in suspended animation for a month as I am sick of the wait and all the predictions. South Park here I come.
08-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

bossa
I am happy I am not alone
08-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
Forum Member

Too Funny . . . if people want full frame and want to use old manual focus lenses, maybe they should get a Nikon full frame and use those wonderful old Nikkor lenses. . . . or just sit back and wait to see what gets introduced year to year . . . . and maybe they'll all be jumping for joy when a Pentax FF comes out . . . they hope.
08-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
The FF model could be released any time in about the next 6-9 months - there's no concrete information as to when, or what the name will be. But we know some kind of FF is coming because Pentax all but said they were creating one last January. .

They did? I totally missed that. To what I've seen theres not a hint from Pentax about FF....
08-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
They did? I totally missed that. To what I've seen theres not a hint from Pentax about FF....
I could of sworn it was the complete opposite. Pentax rep stating on record that they were not planning on entering the FF market anytime soon.

That being said, I get the feeling that market penetration would be difficult given the competition that's out there. ie. Sony and Nikon duking it out on the entry level FF market front. Then again... this might be a great platform for Pentax to start on. Though something tells me that lens remains a challenge.