Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Crescent City Quote
Probably, a dumb question, but after you have transferred your images off the card do you delete them from the card using explorer or do you insert the card in the camaera and format it? ch
I use the camera to format the card most often, I've also used delete all, cut and copy on the computer and formatted on the computer and it really makes little difference practically.

Formatting in camera used to be convenient (*ist D), now it's a little more buried in the K10D menus but mainly it's a case of maintaining a consistent card clearing protocol so that I don't screw up and lose files.

01-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Just to add my $0.02, when you delete image on your card, it doesn't take the image off the card, it just tells the system that it can "write" over that location. That the reason you can recover pictures from a card that has been "erased". Just hope this info shed some light on the subject.
01-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Just to add my $0.02, when you delete image on your card, it doesn't take the image off the card, it just tells the system that it can "write" over that location. That the reason you can recover pictures from a card that has been "erased". Just hope this info shed some light on the subject.
Likewise, formating just writes the skeleton of index data, and you may be able to "unformat" it and get your data back. (I wouldn't count on it, though.)
01-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Likewise, formating just writes the skeleton of index data, and you may be able to "unformat" it and get your data back. (I wouldn't count on it, though.)
I've managed to recover files that I accidentally deleted plus many files from previous sessions that had either been deleted or had undergone formatting using PC Inspector

CONVAR & PCinspector Data Recovery Datenrettung recupero dati datarecovery récupération données

01-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I transfer via an external usb card reader and I format in the camera after each transfer. I started doing this 3-4 years ago and just got in the habit of formatting after transfer. Never had a problem doing it this way.
01-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All great stuff. Thanks for the replies. Since we are on the topic of sd cards. I got an sdplus card which folds up to reveal a usb plug. No nead for a reader or a usb cable, works great. ch
01-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crescent City Quote
All great stuff. Thanks for the replies. Since we are on the topic of sd cards. I got an sdplus card which folds up to reveal a usb plug. No nead for a reader or a usb cable, works great. ch
Yes I have one too, they are pretty handy but beware they break pretty easily too, not quite as robust as the regular SDs, fortunately mine was exchanged under warranty.
01-31-2008, 01:14 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those things look pretty cool, but I did wonder wonder about their durability. Thanks for the nod.

01-31-2008, 02:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

ive always used linux to clear the card. no problems. i wouldnt use windows OS with any device,infact i wouldnt even boot it up!! .lol.
Attached Images

01-31-2008, 03:10 AM   #25
Inactive Account

I format the card only occasionally. I usually only add shots to the card, sometimes I have to delete some when the space is running out and when sending the data to my computer, I usually move the files. I had no problem about it so far.

Maybe a tip to try, when the speed was mentioned: I read an article how to speed up the card a bit. It is simple: just format the card with larger clusters; cluster allocation & FAT walkthrough takes some time. The larger clusters, the less of them and the less time is needed to work with them. Of course, it depends on the quality of the firmware and I can imagine that it can make some problems.
But - since that (maybe more than half a year), I format my cards as FAT32 with 32k clusters and I had no problem with it with my K100D while using the card as described above.
Although I didn't manage any measurement, I think that the camera has a little faster response then. Maybe just a false impression - try and tell me whether you observe the same.
01-31-2008, 06:06 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I don't know much about all the technical stuff...I just format in camera because it's A LOT faster. Isn't that reason enough?
02-01-2008, 01:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
ive always used linux to clear the card. no problems. i wouldnt use windows OS with any device,infact i wouldnt even boot it up!! .lol.
Hear hear!

'course, I use a Mac for my photo editing...

When I worked at a camera store, everyone always said to format, rather than delete all. I've always done format in camera, and if it ain't broke...
02-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I never reformat. Never had a problem. Use Windows explorer to delete.
I found a great little program on the Internet called transfer, it copies my photos to my hard drive then deletes them off the camera. It is free, and I have used it for more than two years without a failure or lost file. I also format the card every time I am going out for important photos like vacation photos. In that case I don't delete the photos until they are safely on my computer at home. While traveling I transfer my photos to my Archos 504 but still leave them on my SD card. I take 4 cards with me. 2 2gb 1-1gb and 1 8gb.
02-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I simply bring up the list of files on the SD card using Windows Explorer, then use the "move" function to put the files in whatever directory I want. This way, I don't have to bother with a "delete" step. I occasionally format the card in camera and (knock on wood ) haven't had any problems.
02-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Format vs. Delete

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote

I'm not sure if it works exactly the same way in the camera as it does in a PC. Maybe that's why Pentax recommends formatting in the camera.

Anyway, when Windows deletes a file, it replaces the first character of the filename in the directory with a space. It then resets the appropriate bits in the file allocation table (FAT), to indicate that the sectors occupied by the "deleted" file are available for re-use. This is how deleted files can be recoverd. By displaying the "deleted" files and asking you to supply the proper first character, a recovery utility can then rebuilt the directory and FAT entries.

When a disk (and the memory card looks like a disketter to Windoze) is formatted, there are two methods. The quick-format simply writes a completely empty directory block and a FAT that shows all sectors are available. In this case, it *MAY* be possible to recover files, but it is tricky. Since there is nothing in the directory that shows where the file used to be, it is a more difficult process to find the starting point of the file. The data is still there, but no portion of the map to it remains.

A full-format takes longer. In addition to creating an empty directory and FAT, it writes zeroes to every sector on the disk. In this case, no recovery is possible. This also takes much longer. On diskettes, it is optional whether to do a full-format or quick-format. Whenever I've formatted an SD card on my PC, it never asks. It just seems to do a quick format, since it happens almost instantly.

Paul Noble