Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Family holidays - K5 and 18-135WR - wow this is why Pentax WR matters

So mainly I came (back) to Pentax for the promise of nice cheap glass with SR in the body, I had a Sony A-55 and couldn't get along with it.

... Then we went on holiday ...

My God ! I never thought when buying back into Pentax about what WR really meant to me, I got the K5 and 18-135 WR as a kit at a great price (for the UK) thinking that the lens had a good range,

The Beach : So before I was REALLY paranoid, took my SLR to the beach maybe one day in a sealed bag, opened it carefully and super cautious not to get a grain of sand on it, camera never went within 10 feet of the sea. With the Pentax, I'm still paranoid, but having seen the lengths some of the US soldiers take their Pentax to in the desert, paranoid now translates to putting the camera in its own shopping bag within the beach bag and taking fresh water with me to wash my hands before handling, I'm in the sea up to my waist, waves just occasionally splatting up.

The Rain : OK so I live in northern europe, rain is a fact of life, holidays, schools sports, summer, winter, spring, autumn they all see varying amounts of persistent drizzle. Before I just wouldn't use my SLR if there was more than a few specks of rain. With the Pentax, I'm still paranoid, I shield it when not in use and wipe of rain especially from the zoom end of the lenses, but photos in the rain hell yes.

Pentax really need to launch a marketing campaign focused especially on these aspects, maybe put in some of that insane US soldier footage with a "we don't recommend this, but..." line on it.

Together with the excellent photos, glad I made the right choice not to go Canikon.

08-26-2012, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check this thread out, specifically posts 4 and 5

Post your WR picture: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

-Heie
08-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great set.

...but just to prove I'm not a total fanboy (and because this is my thread after all) .... live view, Pentax, really ?, just two words sum up live view for me "shocking" and "useless". I'm not someone who would use live view much, I know many regular folks with families who are always using it, those people could never buy Pentax, the silly zooming in just at the critical point you're shouting, man its insane. Please please Pentax, make these the ultimate family cameras and allow us to disable this insanity !
08-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
Great set.

...but just to prove I'm not a total fanboy (and because this is my thread after all) .... live view, Pentax, really ?, just two words sum up live view for me "shocking" and "useless". I'm not someone who would use live view much, I know many regular folks with families who are always using it, those people could never buy Pentax, the silly zooming in just at the critical point you're shouting, man its insane. Please please Pentax, make these the ultimate family cameras and allow us to disable this insanity !
I think live view is designed to help manual focusing and tripod work, mainly.

08-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #5

LV cames handy when you have to shot with camera in a insane position... for example when I shot from the ground up I use a very low tripod, compose with LV then disable it and proceed as normal with a 2 second delay shot.
08-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Regarding LV, maybe used in the way suggested the zoom "feature"/bug is genuinely useful for the more professional among us, but for family shooters I argue its a major annoyance that needs to be optional.

For me its no deal breaker compared to the benefits of the WR as per my top post.