Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2007, 06:37 AM   #1

DL won't shoot

I was shooting at a mate's 21st yesterday with the AF540FGZ, and after about 15 shots in 3 minutes the shutter wouldn't fire. The display was showing shots left and exposure, but it wouldn't autofocus. Turning the camera and flash on and off didn't fix it, but taking the batteries out of the camera and putting them back in did. I'd say the batteries in the camera were about half full. It's working fine now, just wondering if it was a "normal" power problem from taking lots of shots in a short time, or is there a problem with the camera, before the warranty runs out in 12 days.

Richard

01-01-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Richard,
What kind of batteries are you using?
01-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
Energizer 2500mAh rechargeable AAs in both the camera and the flash.
01-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi Richard,

I have a DL also and at times when the batteries get low there is no warning. the camera will say 1/2 full (or empty) and will work for a short time there and then just quit firing. And there are times when the camera is turned on and reads the batteries as full I take one shot and the batteries are down to half and a few shots later are completely dead. I know rechargeables only last so long but with the way we use our cameras I think they tend to go quicker. I have changed battery types to using strictly Varta photo ACCU 2700mah and so far they have lasted longer then any other brand. I'm also looking into the new SONY brand and really wish they made the cells in larger mah then 2000.

So I guess it boils down to make sure every time you shoot have fresh batteries right off the charger or new batteries. I now buy them by the case. I think I have stock

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

01-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

NiMh batteries tend to fool the battery monitoring system of these cameras. The camera can indicate anywhere from a full to half charge, and in fact be almost drained.

The cameras were designed to be best used with disposable lithium batteries (CRV3 or AA). The compatiblity with other types does involve some compromises.

Try a set of Sanyo Eneloops and a really good charger, like the Maha. People seem to be getting really good results with this combination.

Cheers
-Alan