Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which Pentax FF would you buy ?
Entry-level FF, 24Mp, limited features, D600-like - around $1800 3320.50%
Mid-level FF, 24Mp, advanced features - $2000-2500 5332.92%
High-end FF, 36 Mp, D800-like - $3000 169.94%
Mirrorless FF, 24 Mp, EVF - $1200-1500 1911.80%
Not interested in FF 4024.84%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
entry or mid would meet my needs so i'm fine there and to be realistic i don't see having the dosh for higher.....i'd also like to see the first be one that can move volume with the second being a high end

08-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I couldn't care less about megapixels and "features" that I'm never going to use. Just give it a viewfinder as good as my MX, with a factory-installed split prism screen as an option, uncripple the mount and you've got yourself a sale. Of course, I'll have to trade down to a cheaper car to pay for it. . .
08-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
so we can see at photokina if Pentax made the right choice or not
You mean the choice not to announce one until production is ready?

I'd be the most reluctant to buy the 36MP high-end model - it just seems unnecessary, but if it's all they had, I might.

Either Entry or Mid-range could be fine.

Mirrorless - I'd consider it if it worked well, but I would want a good EVF, at least. I don't think I'm married to the idea of having a mirror - it's just a technology.
08-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
MrB
Inactive Account

Probably not likely for Pentax to release a "low end" FF body. Most likely FF would be akin to a K5 type, though somewhat larger, For myself, as soon as Pentax releases a FF I'm on it. I want a FF viewfinder. The APS-C finders are too small for my old eyes.

08-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Where's the option for $3500 1DX-like? I'm hoping for something a bit more than the D800.
08-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

A body with the same features as a K-5 but with a FF sensor would be actually "entry level" in the land of FF cameras. The rumoured D600 entry level model is talked of as a D7000 with FF sensor. I'd be happy with that.

I don't think Pentax is capable of producing mid (5DIII, D800) or upper level (D4, 1DX) as that would mean much more sophisticated AF which they seem incapable of producing, or rather it is so much more advanced than what we have now, it's not realistic to expect a company to make the revolutionary jump, as Nikon and Canon have been gradually evolving their sophisticated AF over years and years whilst Pentax basically stood still. The gap now is so large it cannot be closed in one leap.

So I voted "entry level". If I wanted mid or upper I'd be switching systems.

Last edited by twitch; 08-26-2012 at 03:51 PM.
08-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I couldn't care less about megapixels and "features" that I'm never going to use. Just give it a viewfinder as good as my MX, with a factory-installed split prism screen as an option, uncripple the mount and you've got yourself a sale. Of course, I'll have to trade down to a cheaper car to pay for it. . .
A big viewfinder like the MX would certainly be welcome.
08-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I vote mid level, but they need to put features in it and price it to match what canikon is putting out with the same sensor. So if the Nikon d600 is a reality and the Pentax ff has the same sensor, then Pentax needs to offer either additional features and only a moderately higher price or the sme features but a slightly lower price.

08-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
So if the Nikon d600 is a reality and the Pentax ff has the same sensor, then Pentax needs to offer either additional features and only a moderately higher price or the sme features but a slightly lower price.
I think the latter will be difficult for Pentax, especially since Nikon seems content to sell their full frames *close to cost to undercut Canon. *"Close" being a relative term here.
08-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I wont mind an Entry Level or a Mid Level. Since they are likely to only release one, and I agree with poster above a k-5 with an FF is only considered entry level, look at how much more controls the D700 have, you can do some much combos with that thing.
08-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A very basic FF would be fine - get rid of the moving sensor IS which probably would not scale up to FF too well anyway and is not really needed with a good high ISO performance sensor, to keep the camera size and weight down. There is not a great deal they can do to improve the screw drive AF with its inherent backlash and inertia.

Personally, I don't think that a FF is going to happen any time soon, it involves too much hardware redesign which is expensive.
08-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian

It's frightening seeing more people would buy an FF than to stick with APS-C. It's like these FF polls can't be trusted anymore. I know for a FACT that more than half of the people in this poll who voted for FF will stick with APS-C for a couple more years even if their wanted FF lurks out of Photokina.
08-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #28

I don't think, that there will be anything about Pentax FF at Photokina at least this year, maybe next one.
08-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
It's frightening seeing more people would buy an FF than to stick with APS-C. It's like these FF polls can't be trusted anymore. I know for a FACT that more than half of the people in this poll who voted for FF will stick with APS-C for a couple more years even if their wanted FF lurks out of Photokina.
no poll on the forum will be accurate they are all skewed since they are completely driven by interest in the subject.
i imagine a few won't
buy right away, otoh they won't buy an apsc either, the intention would be the next body for them is FF in march or a year from march, it's not a matter of sticking to apsc but of allocating funds
08-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Who says they wouldn't be keeping an APS-C as well? There are many people here with multiple APS-C bodies already. Think about it - the price if the original *istD was around the same as the 36MP FF in the survey choices. Why wouldn't that same group go for a 35mm sensor, as well? If you look at the recent age profile poll, there was a pretty standard-looking bell-curve that resulted, suggesting that there are about as many people on the empty-nest (or emptying-nest) side of the mean as on the starting-out/kids-in-school side, many of whom have the disposable income to make this sort of purchase, if they choose.

On the matter of a mirrorless FF, there are many who dismiss this possibility while the EVF option is either missing or inadequate. However, if you want the quickest shutter response, as some do, the lack of a mirror has to be a plus. I'm beastly careless about sports action or birding, personally, but I would have thought a mirrorless with a good loupe or EVF would have been an advantage for such subjects. Personally, I'll stick with the OVF DSLR, but I can see the day coming when EVFs will be so close that mirror cameras will be a specialty market - just not yet.