Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which Pentax FF would you buy ?
Entry-level FF, 24Mp, limited features, D600-like - around $1800 3320.50%
Mid-level FF, 24Mp, advanced features - $2000-2500 5332.92%
High-end FF, 36 Mp, D800-like - $3000 169.94%
Mirrorless FF, 24 Mp, EVF - $1200-1500 1911.80%
Not interested in FF 4024.84%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joakim Quote
A Pentax K-5 casing and 24Mp FF sensor. That would be a camera I would buy!
I vote for this, price same as current K5

Honestly i will not buy any 2k$ camera...

08-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i voted not interested.

If I want a full frame camera I take out my PZ-1, and load it with low ISO film. works just fine for me
08-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Much to my own surprise, I voted for the mirrorless FF! It's the price that did it. And the fact that I'll keep my K5 with the OVF around.
08-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #34
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm surprised a quarter (atm) votes "not interested" (like I did). I'd think I'm not the only one to routinely skip threads about ff - don't know why I didn't with this one

But a bigger, better viewfinder would have been nice

08-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm surprised a quarter (atm) votes "not interested" (like I did). I'd think I'm not the only one to routinely skip threads about ff - don't know why I didn't with this one

But a bigger, better viewfinder would have been nice
Turn that on its head, and three-quarters are interested. However, like all self-selecting polls, it's hardly scientific.

You can have a bigger viewfinder any time you like but, for any given lens on an optical VF system, it will inevitably be dimmer, regardless of format, although the larger the format, the brighter the image for a given magnification. Pentax led the way years ago with mirror coatings to reduce specular reflections, so there's not much more you can do in that department, except avoid a pentamirror design.

Of course, an EVF can give you as big and bright a VF image as you want, if you can put up with its limitations (and some can, clearly, but not me at this stage - maybe I will as my eyes age further, and/or the technology gets better).
08-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 123jippo Quote
I vote for this, price same as current K5

Honestly i will not buy any 2k$ camera...
I checked my investment in lenses last night. Honestly, a $2k (even a $3k!) body pales by comparison. I don't think I'm alone there, either.
08-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Why would a mirrorless FF camera be THAT much cheaper then a mirrored camera?

Especially when we assume that such a high end camera will not be receiving a low end EVF like the one going in the new X5, but a much better OLED EVF, then I would expect it to be even more expesive actually.

08-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #38
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Turn that on its head, and three-quarters are interested. However, like all self-selecting polls, it's hardly scientific.
Yep, exactly.

QuoteQuote:
You can have a bigger viewfinder any time you like but, for any given lens on an optical VF system, it will inevitably be dimmer, regardless of format, although the larger the format, the brighter the image for a given magnification. Pentax led the way years ago with mirror coatings to reduce specular reflections, so there's not much more you can do in that department, except avoid a pentamirror design.

Of course, an EVF can give you as big and bright a VF image as you want, if you can put up with its limitations (and some can, clearly, but not me at this stage - maybe I will as my eyes age further, and/or the technology gets better).
All true. I agree with you on the EVF, technology needs to get better. Of course, even an EVF is far, far better than no VF at all.

All in all, I can't see how ff will fulfill my needs (or "needs") any more than the K-5 already does., mirrorless or not.
08-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All true. I agree with you on the EVF, technology needs to get better. Of course, even an EVF is far, far better than no VF at all.
Yes, it's the one extra thing I wish my Q had.

All in all, I can't see how ff will fulfill my needs (or "needs") any more than the K-5 already does., mirrorless or not.
Except for a big, bright viewfinder, of course.
08-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
I'd prefer a choice of a high end FF but with a lower MP count. If I want 36MP I'll buy a 645D... :P
My thoughts exactly, but it's not an option. I voted on mid-level, although in reality I'd buy a top-end 24mp FF without hesitation.

If it doesn't have an optical VF I won't buy it.
08-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Voted for the entry level FF. Getting the 'proper' FOV and DOF on my lenses, and a larger VF to focus with, would be fantastic. I don't care about the bells and whistles *at all*...
08-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd easily go for the mid-end one (if I had the money of course!)

Personally I believe the high end should be beyond the D800 - aside from high MP count, it should somewhat be like an LX-D; interchangeable parts, with a variety of optional grips, viewfinders, focusing screens, power options, etc.

doing so will make it the most flexible FF system out there, but it may also steal some potential market for the 645D - which may soon be relegated to only studio shooting, if an LX-D be built...
08-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I'd easily go for the mid-end one (if I had the money of course!)

Personally I believe the high end should be beyond the D800 - aside from high MP count, it should somewhat be like an LX-D; interchangeable parts, with a variety of optional grips, viewfinders, focusing screens, power options, etc.

doing so will make it the most flexible FF system out there, but it may also steal some potential market for the 645D - which may soon be relegated to only studio shooting, if an LX-D be built...
The permanent price drop for the present 645D leaves room for another, presumably higher-specification MF camera, either as a replacement or as a second entry in this segment.

You could count me in for an LX-D body, too. Having now experienced the original, I comprehend the attraction. Price would possibly be a consideration, though, as these things come at a cost.
08-31-2012, 01:48 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not a professional, so my cameras cannot earn the money I had to spend.

So, as much as I would like to have a FF - shooting 24x36 for 50 years - spending $1600 for just the body would mean I had to stop all my other activities for quite a while. My decision is to stay with APS-C for the time being.

Some day in the future, if and when the price of a used one will drop <<< $1000, and I'm still around, I may rethink.
Also, I would not mind a FF with only 16MP - presently they don't exist (?). My set of lenses would not outperform such a sensor (but, except the kit, all the lenses I own are FF capable).

A mirrorless - as they are offered at this time - would not be an option. It could be in the future, but only if EVFs get equal to the best optical ones of the film era (resolution, color, no time lag).
08-31-2012, 02:56 AM   #45
gtl
Veteran Member

Sadly the d600 at its rumored 1500 price point is gonna kill Pentax FF unless they can release it not long after. Of course this is just my opinion but Nikon has the cheap lenses and FF kit zoom to go with it. The longer Pentax waits the more people are gonna jump ship. Of course announcing a FF under development could possibly hold off the jumpers.....