Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Exercise those backup cameras (a.k.a. my e-dial woes)

I got my K-x out of the bag yesterday for the first time in a few months to use alongside my K-5. To my disappointment the e-dial function on my K-x has gone completely funky where turning it made the aperture and shutter speeds jump all over the place. This is the old e-dail not working problem I guess. So it looks like I'll be twirling the e-dial in front of the TV for a while and hopefully get it working again.

So it's one thing to have a backup camera, but to have a working backup camera I think we need to be exercising them a bit, they don't like sitting in camera bags for long periods of no use.

08-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would try spinning the dials back and forth a lot to loosen things up and see if it doesn't jump all over the place after a few minutes.
08-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Yes Twitch, Last week the flash would not pop up, So I hit the button many times until it did, and then another 100 times + on all those rear buttons.
This is like vintage radio/stereo gear where you have to run the switches every month or so otherwise they go high resistance,

The e-dial on the ist ds is a little switch, I don't know if rated for the high operations in normal use, I would say impossible to replace, the only option being to replace the whole flex. I am building up the courage to try that on my other ist ds next winter, using a parts body.
I will pack some wadding around that e-dial switch and try spray contact cleaner first.
08-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

If you google around a bit, there's a thread here on fixing edials. It's pretty easy, I just fixed my broken one on my k7 with 3 squirts of electrical contact cleaner oil. It's as good as new now.