Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Intechangeable focusing screens Kx

I own an old Olympus OM1 with has an interchangeable focusing screen. While peering into open mount of my Pentax Kx to examine the mirror I noticed the focusing screen appeared to be held in place by a rectangular brace that seemed to the clip fastened - just like on the OM1. The screen even had a small protruding lug for handling with tweezers for extraction and insertion - just like the OM1.

So can anyone confirm the Kx has user-interchangeable screens like the OM1. I would like to try a finer grain version (almost clear) for manual focusing in very low light conditions where the auto focus fails.

08-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can indeed change the screen in the Kx. Here's how:

PENTAX K100D / K200D / K2000D / K-m / K-x / K-r Focusing Screen Installation Instruction

I've changed several & they're fiddly, but not difficult. As long as you're careful not to touch or scratch the screen, you should be ok.

Good luck!
Bobbo :-)
08-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if it can use the one from the OM-1, but the K-x definitely has an interchangeable focusing screen.

See the following link for which Pentax DSLRs the K-x shares focusing screen dimensions with:
Pentax DSLRs - KatzEye Optics

I've been very pleased with manual focusing, which is what I've been doing for the past 2 months.
08-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-x and a K100D that I have swapped the focusing screens on (including moving the screen from one to the other). I grew up on Pentax M/P- series SLRs and really missed the split-prism focus screen.

I've used replacement screens from KatzEye and focusingscreen.com - both appear to be cut-down Nikon K2/K3 split-prism screens. I also tried a cheaper one from eBay, just to see how it performed. It was so dim and murky, I went back to the original.

08-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had a K-x with a Nikon K3 screen with spit prism in it that worked great for manual focus.

The screen was installed by the previous owner, I believe it came from focusingscreen.com

Focusing Screen

It really worked great, I miss having it and may put one on one of my K-5's.
08-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
The OM series is full-frame so won't do. But thanks for the links. I'll check them out. Its nice to know I can have split/microprism focusing again
08-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you're on a budget, you could try an eBay split screen for around $20. I have one installed in one of my K-x bodies, and a KatzEye in the other, so it makes it easy to compare.

The KatzEye is a little brighter and doesn't suffer from blackout with lenses slower than f:5.6 like the cheap eBay screen, but as long as you don't use a lens slower than f:5.6, the cheap screen does the job just as well as the KatzEye. I'd say my particular eBay screen is about the same brightness as the original matte screen.

I do prefer the KatzEye since I can even use it with my f:8 500mm mirror lens, but they're too spendy for me to go out & buy one. (It was in the K-x when I bought it.)

Sometime I might try one of those Canon screens from focusingscreen.com. A lot of folks really like those.

Good luck,
Bobbo :-)