Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 01:06 AM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They can put it in whatever camera they want. Without FF lenses, it's not gonna do well.

02-01-2008, 01:13 AM   #17
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It would/will be interesting to see what Pentax/Samsung can do if they take the basic technology of the K20D CMOS sensor and scale it up to the 135 or 645 format. If they can keep the reject numbers low and truely scale the technology - it could be interesting over the next year or so.

I intend to keep the *ist Ds and K10D around for the next few years - so I can wait. It would be really interesting to have a Pentax/Samsung CMOS sensor for my 4x5 though. Makes me weak in the knees thinking about that.

The Elitist - formerly known as PD>
02-01-2008, 01:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
They can put it in whatever camera they want. Without FF lenses, it's not gonna do well.
Right, exactly!
02-01-2008, 04:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well i am not going to call Sony cameras junk. i think that Minolta made some decent cameras and lens. i do think that Sony may not be totly listing to the Minolta people it picked up in the buy out but i do think that it may be a matter of time till they do start listing more and put out a better camera

02-01-2008, 05:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok i have to poke a little fun

02-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I've been preaching this for far too long so what's one more time?

There is a problem. That problem is that when another manufacturer such as Pentax uses a Sony sensor, they are limiting themselves to Sony quality and features. Sony will never provide a top-level sensor for the competition. Period!

When Sony was trying to break into the laptop market they managed to develop lots of laptop components that they offered for sale to the competition. BY doing so it drives the component price down for the Sony built product allowing Sony to be more profitable at teh same price level insuring product sustainability and market share growth. However, Those components failed prematurely resulting in 16 million recalls from 15 different manufacturers - the least affected? Sony of course. Replacement availability was also a Sony first, competitors second situation though you'll find no official record of that.

So, what happens when Sony has a recall of 3 million 25MP sensors used in a K1D camera? Pentax gets the bad rap because Pentax has to issue the recall. Also, every Tom, Dick and Harry who has a preference for another camera manufacturer will spread the rumor that Pentax bought low-grade Sony sensors and Sony will walk away with a shiny reputation.

Pentax gambled by using a Sony in the K10D - They've been lucky so far, no sensor issues. To put another Sony in a Pentax top-level camera at this point would be suicide. Though, that doesn't mean they won't do it.
02-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
So, what happens when Sony has a recall of 3 million 25MP sensors used in a K1D camera? Pentax gets the bad rap because Pentax has to issue the recall. Also, every Tom, Dick and Harry who has a preference for another camera manufacturer will spread the rumor that Pentax bought low-grade Sony sensors and Sony will walk away with a shiny reputation.
I'm sorry but in the realms of sensor technology it's far far more likely that Samsung would screw up. Not that I've ever heard of a DSLR recalled due to faulty sensors.
02-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
I'm sorry but in the realms of sensor technology it's far far more likely that Samsung would screw up. Not that I've ever heard of a DSLR recalled due to faulty sensors.
Well you could be right but, if they could screw up batteries I'm sure they're capable of screwing up sensors. Heck, Canon did and replaces each camera affected if you send it back to them. Pentax doesn't need that headache.

02-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

My take? Who really cares - isn't it the pictures that count? And I think that my K10D is WAY ahead of my skill level, even though I think I'm improving to the point where I'm taking some reasonable photos.

Full frame sensor? APS-C sensor? Does it matter, other than for those poor folks who just HAVE to have the very latest, biggest, baddest of everything? But not necessarily the best?

I have a good friend who has been turning out some outstanding photos with a Canon 30D for ages, and has been lusting after a full-frame 5D for a long time. Well - at Christmas he finally did it. But he has also had to sell some lenses, and buy new ones. And guess what? He now realizes that the camera is NOT giving him better pictures. HE takes the pictures, and it is his eye, technique, and skill that determines the quality of the pictures.

We have long passed the point where the camera is the limiting factor for most of us - with the exception of a few specialized professionals - and digital photography is NOT all about who has the biggest, fastest, or mostest!

I'll be keeping my K10D, and if I eventually decide to get a second camera body, I MAY plump for a K20D. Or I may get a nicely discounted second K10D.

It's the pictures that count.

I get a bit tired of all this one-upmanship about sensors, megapixels, etc. Good glass is worth investing in for sure, but how many of today's current crop of D-SLRs of ALL levels of sophistication actually are responsible for taking BAD photographs? None that I know of - they are ALL good - including the Sony cameras!
02-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #25
Pentaxian

They have the sensor in a body now, but details are non-existent...