Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
this may be a problem

Sony announces development of 35mm CMOS sensor: Digital Photography Review

if Sony puts that sucker in a camera or some thing like it Pentax and Samsong are in trouble and if they can do it in a 2000$ camera or so that is trouble

Last edited by nathancombs; 01-30-2008 at 08:22 PM.
01-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote

if Sony puts that sucker in a camera or some thing like it Pentax and Samsong are in trouble and if they can do it in a 2000$ camera or so that is trouble
Maybe. But if they can do it in a $1300 camera, that is trouble.
01-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i seen some had started a thred about this thing BUT i think that IF Sony REALLY felt like it to get people in to there cameras they could take the hit and do a 1500$ or so camera just to get the market, they have all the $$$$ in the world. that thing is a monster

here is the other thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/19661-sony-joins-ff-fr...sung-next.html

but my take is IF they start putting that thing in Sony, Nikon, ect... camers Pentax will have to play chech up BIG time
01-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Do not forget that Sony makes sensors for other cams such as Canon P&S's...just because they have one doesn't mean they're going to throw it in a Sony body.

They don't really even have a market presence, I don't know why they would try to challenge Canikon...

01-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

having read a bunch of testemonials of the canons 5D it seems that FF sensors arnt all that fancy anymore

and in reality would only appeal to the wide angle side of the users, all things considered after 25mm almost any focal length is easily achievable with various combination of lenses.

i'm gonna call a bluff on sony, if they do make something like this, it wont be "before the year is out"

and if they do, and its going into an Alpha camera, its gonna be junk either way

and if they do, and it wont go into an alpha camera but will be sucked up by nikon or canon as an outsourcing tool... then it definetly wont be before the year is out.

then again, we all can die tommorow in a nuclear holocaust ..
01-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Do not forget that Sony makes sensors for other cams such as Canon P&S's...just because they have one doesn't mean they're going to throw it in a Sony body.

They don't really even have a market presence, I don't know why they would try to challenge Canikon...
Nikon does not make their own sensors, the current D300 is using a Sony sensor. If the FF sensor is a very good product, I wouldn't doubt Nikon will buy some as well.

As for a market presence, you are correct, they don't, but they have plenty of capital to invest in their camera program. They are only in their second generation, with enough time, I don't doubt that they can pump out a very respectable product.
01-30-2008, 11:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sony is a very large, diversified, electronics manufacturer and its Digital Optical sensor R&D , manufacturing and marketing is run quite separately from its Digital camera business, though of course they complement each other. That's why they quite happily sell their sensors to other camera manufacturers as long as it helps make money.

35 mm digital sensors are probably going to be "High End" - read Expensive, for a long time to come, unless some unforeseen technological breakthrough dramatically reduces their cost.
01-31-2008, 04:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i am on the fince with FF or APS-...... they both have + and - but if they decied to put some thing like that in to a mid market camera and i think they can if they wonted to it would do some seareas selling and they can do it at a loss and be ok, junk or not put that out in a camera that Jo Sith can aford and have the adds to back it up BOOM Sony ownes the DSLR market. they also have a relaship with Zice soooooo i think things are going to be VERY intersting the next year or so.

01-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Trouble? It's fantastic! Who is to say Pentax wont be putting this very sensor into a future Pentax camera, regardless of the price. Even if they don't, it may create some competition therefore pushing Pentax, or any other maker to go for this type of processor, if it is indeed successful.

I think we need to step off the "fan boy" stump every now and then and applaud breakthroughs and advancements. In the end, we all benefit, right?

Jas
01-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

And if they do, so what? (i coudn't find a yawn in the little faces below)

They don't have a full frame body at this point themselves, I don't know if their lenses are full frame, and they could potentially abandon all of their present users in making the move.

I am personally not worried about sony. They have not done very well reciently in other areas, such as games etc, they are definitely not keeping up with Nintendo (you know that little company) If they want to go after a bigger market share on an already limited base of Konica/minolta customers let them try.

This sensor, while bigger, offeres no real advancement over the K20D in terms of the pixel spacing, and therefore noise and other limitations will be the same as what pentax will soon be shipping. It may in fact already be far behind where canon is on FF sensors.
01-31-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Trouble? It's fantastic! Who is to say Pentax wont be putting this very sensor into a future Pentax camera, regardless of the price. Even if they don't, it may create some competition therefore pushing Pentax, or any other maker to go for this type of processor, if it is indeed successful.

I think we need to step off the "fan boy" stump every now and then and applaud breakthroughs and advancements. In the end, we all benefit, right?

Jas
fanboy? who do you think makes the sensors in the K100 and K10...
01-31-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I already know this.

I was referring to the tone that it was a problem somehow (hence the title of the thread) for Pentax owners, just because it's a sony.
01-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

there's no mention of cost (is there??)

they could well put it in and say this is a pro camera it and price against the top of the line canon. Sony arent exactly known for being cheap for products (but I haven't looked at their camera gear to see if that is different)
01-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter

It's a problem for Pentax, but not us. We can buy whatever we want.

Jer
01-31-2008, 05:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
35 mm digital sensors are probably going to be "High End" - read Expensive, for a long time to come, unless some unforeseen technological breakthrough dramatically reduces their cost.
If you read the releases they have implemented systems to significantly reduce the production costs and make FF sensors a truly mass produced product. The main cost issue aside from the extra silicon real estate was alignment of the masks (due to the sensor size the chips could not be imaged per layer in a single step, two masks had to be manually aligned), they have developed an automated process to alleviate some of these production costs. Per wafer yield has also increased as they are using 300mm wafers, new low contaminant wafer transportation systems, new wafer surface prep/cleaning systems and they have implemented system wide process QC which is capable of more closely monitoring QC per step. They're also in the midst of increasing the clean room area of the sensor production facility by 5000m2. Interesting times ahead.