Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do the new Sony CMOS sensors attract dirt?

It is not a huge deal, but I notice that my K5 and K-x (both of which have Sony CMOS sensors) need the use of the Rocket Blower about 3 times as often as the K10d or K20d ever did. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

This last long weekend trip, I grew quite a forest of dreck on my K-x sensor after a half-dozen lens changes. I think I've had to clean the K20d (other than the internal function) about 3 times since I've owned it.

A couple of blower cleanings followed by checks usually solves it, and liquids have been required only once, so it is not a big difficulty.

08-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It is not a huge deal, but I notice that my K5 and K-x (both of which have Sony CMOS sensors) need the use of the Rocket Blower about 3 times as often as the K10d or K20d ever did. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

This last long weekend trip, I grew quite a forest of dreck on my K-x sensor after a half-dozen lens changes. I think I've had to clean the K20d (other than the internal function) about 3 times since I've owned it.

A couple of blower cleanings followed by checks usually solves it, and liquids have been required only once, so it is not a big difficulty.

I found my k-r was really bad for dust, pretty much anytime I changed a lens it was at risk, but on the K-5 frankly other than maybe a spec in the viewfinder I havent seen any at all on any photos over a year (I have been checking periodically for it) and I change lenses quite frequently. Do you change lenses with the lens mount pointing to the ground? This can help avoid dust. I am not sure that any sensor vs another attracts more dust (plus arent all sensors for DSLR CMOS now?), likely the other mechanisms/seals of the camera, how/when/where lenses are changed and the effectiveness of the dust removal system.

I saw a canon guy once changing lenses on the beach, standing up on a rock next to the sea in the sandy wind with the lens mount facing open to the wind, he took his time too, cant image the quanitity of sand he must have had inside his camera and lenses. Looked like 5d + L glass too haha

Last edited by Deimos; 08-30-2012 at 08:50 AM.
08-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think my K5 does a much better job then the K10D in dust removal myself. Maybe just because it's newer but I'm doing a lot of work with the spot re-touching tool on every shot with my K10D.
08-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i cleaned once my K-x in 3 year of use.

And i was responsible for it : i change my lenses during windy moment.

It's not about the sensor, but more about how you do it, how fast, and where.

08-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

No problems here.
08-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #6

This summer I noticed I was Rocket-Blowing my ist DS, K20D and K-5 rather frequently at our summer cabin. Then I realized I the problem likely was caused by changing lenses in my office while a wood fire was burning in the great room on the other side of the door. I suspect the specks were caused by nearly invisible fragments of fly ash from the fireplace.
08-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K5 is much better (that is I need to clean it far less) with dust than my K100ds, K10, and K20. Clearly it matters where you are (for example in the desert, I check the camera each morning before shooting but at home I seldom do) and where you change lenses.

08-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K5 is not as much a problem as the K-x for me. The K-x is pretty constant, and I do point the mount down. However, I tend to take the K-x traveling more than the K5, because of its small size and AA batts, so that may have something to do with it.
08-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Never saw this problem with my K-5
08-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K7 and K5 are trouble free unlike K100D that is still a dust magnet.
08-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I do find that new cameras tend to gather more dust the older ones (don't mean model but use), maybe it's between the ears?