Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2012, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sadsack Quote
Energizer universal CHEUF AA/C/D - 2x (2.8v --- 650 mA ]
Strange how they do not give info on charging in set's of 4??

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/cheuf_eu.pdf

Also my MQNO4 is available from here : http://www.eneloop.info/fileadmin/EDITORS/ENELOOP/MANUALS/MQN04_Manuals/SNY_...GB_100x100.pdf
They both only charge in pairs... sadly.

Honestly, I don't know if the Energizer is any better than the Eneloop charger?? (As in electrical output).
You're right, neither charger is optimal but they should "work" as long as the batteries are not out of balance.

explanation - good article:
An informal look at the Sanyo NC-MQN06U Ė charging in pairs

I think the Energizer CHEUF charger may be "better" of the two -
from the pdf you linked:
" Charging Current: 2 or 4 "AA-C-D" 650mA "

One of the highly regarded consumer grade chargers is the Maha/PowerEX C-9000
(current low priced at about $50 shipped) but if that's too rich there are lesser but reasonable alternatives:
that also can do independent charging and around 1000mA
Sony Cycle Energy BCG34HRE4KN
currently $22 plus additional shipping (look for coupon or top up to over $25 for free shipping)
this comes with 4x Sony CycleEnergy (blue) also LSD batteries but no longer re-badged eneloops (so not bad, just not quite as good)
[pdf] Super Quick Charger - Sony eSupport
esupport.sony.com/docs/BCG34HRE.pdf

and possibly:
Soshine SC-C3 Intelligent Rapid Charger
$15.60 shipped but from Hong Kong and it is not UL listed.
JPG image of manual

Note both these cheaper chargers will do about 1/2C when charging 1 or 2 batteries only -
when charging 3 or 4 batteries the current is sub-optimal at about 1/4C
(again it will "work", but not that well, but at least they have independent charging channels)

08-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks UnknownVT,

A While ago I thought I would do a basic google for "best aa battery charger on the market" that probably wasn't a good move, it just made the problem worse.

I do have a couple of other chargers though, one is this, Rechargeable Batteries - FAMEART my one is a few years old now, and the specs may have changed, on the rear of my plugin PC14, it states:
Pri:220-240v 50/60Hz 9w
Sec: AA-2x (2.8v --- 155-170mA 0.476VA
AAA-2x (2.8v -- 55-65mA 0.182VA
9V-2x (9v ----- 14-18mA 0.162VA

Only thing I know about this one is that it's a real cooker.... I.E. real hot.

And another old charger A Hama Delta 2/4 (best link I could find was in german) Hama Schnellladeger

I do believe it has been discontinued as it does not seem to be available from Hama's own website, only an updated version.
But on the rear it states:
Microprocessor controlled Ultra-Fast Ni-MH/NiCd Charger
Pri: 12V == 500mA
Sec: AA-2.8/5.6V == 700mA 3.92VA max
AAA-2.8/5.6V == 350mA 1.96VA max

It look's like neither of these are much better.....
Thanks for your input UnknownVT..

sadsack

I had a quick read of this, but as with anything on the net, it's whether you believe it or not....
http://www.metaefficient.com/rechargeable-batteries/best-rechargeable-batter...-chargers.html

Edit: found this at my end of the world, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maha-MH-C9000-battery-charger-batteries/dp/B003DIGKO...6449494&sr=8-1

But only 2 reviews, (makes me think that the majority of people go for the £10 to £20 chargers).
I would rather know exactly what the batteries are up to, rather than not. It's slowly starting to sink in, but I can certainly see the problem with charging in pairs.

Also had a look on amazon UK for LaCrosse but it seems they go by the name of "Technoline" or "AccuCell" possibly re-branded. But I also read that the LaCrosse range do not have very good factory standards and that the unit that you end up with may have overheating problems.

Last edited by sadsack; 08-31-2012 at 03:22 PM.
08-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
UnknownVT's AA battery expertise (and K-x knowledge in general) is un-rivalled.
Follow his advice and you'll be OK.
08-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Iíve been using a La Crosse BG-9009 for the last 2 years and have not had any problems with it. They did have overheating problems, but I believe it was before the BG-9009 was released. The BG-9009 has been replaced by the BG-1000.

Here are some Amazon US links if you like reading customer reviews.

Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology Alpha Power Battery Charger, BC1000: Home & Kitchen

Amazon.com: Maha Powerex Wizard One MH-C9000 Advanced Battery Charger and Analyzer - Free Deluxe Accessory Storage Case Included: Electronics

08-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks chaps....
08-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #21

Hello Sadsack,
I have two identical K-X's. Battery life was superb when using the 1.02 upgrade. I upgraded one of the cameras to 1.03 and am experiencing the same problem you are. I have not upgraded the other and don't plan to. I can swap batteries and there is a definite firmware issue with battery life and 1.03. 1.01 was worse and 1.02 has given me the best results and longer battery life of the three. I do not believe it is your batteries or charger but the firmware upgrade. chig
08-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your input chiggerbyt,

That was my immediate thought, as it seemed to much of a coincidence to happen so quickly after the f/w update, but as you can read from my mail to Pentax/Ricoh there seems to be no going back, And I would try given the oppertunity. Not that Pentax/Ricoh are lying, but it seems strange that it can be fixed for a price?? (even though it cannot be re-flashed).
09-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
Iím running 1.02 with Eneloops and sometimes my K-x does not recognize right away that the batteries were changed.
Same here

09-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #24

I'm in the same boat you are with the re-flash. For now I'm just changing batteries in the 1.03 one more often and living with it. If anyone has went back to a previous version I would like to know how it turned out. Agree it seems like we should be able to re-flash but who wants to take the chance? I am not a firmware or camera electronics engineer so hopefully someone can explain it better than Pentax as to why not??
09-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #25

Sadsack, I found the 1.02 version and re-flashed my KX according to instructions given in the Read Me file. It now shows version 1.02. Everything seems to be working just fine. Chig
09-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
... my La Crosse intelligent charger... with Eneloop
+1

I believe a charger which charges each battery separately is absolutely essential. Batteries don't always drain at the same rate, even when grouped together. And if the charger charges two of them together, it is just looking at the sum of their two individual charges. This could leave one undercharged and possible overcharge the other. When I switched to a charger with individual channels, I noticed a huge improvement.
09-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry guys,

Been away a few days with a badly torn lower leg muscle........

Chiggerbyt, If you don't mind me asking, "The Instructions" you mention, do you mean the basic flash instructions you get with any new firmware??
Also did you do a factory reset before re-flashing??

P.S. Luckily, I have kept all old f/w updates in case of problems.

Also chaps, I had some one purchase me an MC-C 1000 Wizard one by Powerex, Maha MH-C9000 "Wizard One" smart battery charger for AA: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Not had a chance yet to test it but I'm hoping it will make a slight difference to my batteries. I have a few which my Energizer says are totally dead, (in pairs) will be nice to see what the new unit has to say for itself.

Last edited by sadsack; 09-07-2012 at 03:34 PM.
09-07-2012, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #28

Hi Sadsack,
I did not do a factory reset. Left everything set same as other KX with my personal preferences. Followed the basic flash instructions given in the Read Me file that comes with the bin file. That is, put bin file on root directory of SD card and go from there. For what it's worth I used the Mac version. It took about a minute or two and then shows "completed" in lower left corner of screen. There is a flashing light that comes on also. Same as when you went to 1.03.
Batteries that would show red and then show depleted now work as they did before the 1.03 firmware installation. I've shot about 100 or so shots with batteries I couldn't get to go one shot before and still going. Version 1.02 works best for me. Chig

Edited to add the following: I also held my breath for approximately two minutes. Don't know if it helped or not but it didn't hurt. ))
I also used fresh batteries (Lithium Ion) just to be sure I had sufficient battery power during the re-flash.

Last edited by chiggerbyt; 09-07-2012 at 04:39 PM.
09-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey .... Thanks for the quick reply, chigerbyt,

Glad yours went okay..... I read on another site that it's very easy to do, and the person more or less said something very similar (but not in so much detail) as to what you did.

I think I will get out the Lithium's and give it a go,..... cannot believe that ricoh would push out such a crumby f/w.....

Thanks again for the reply really appreciate it..... cheers mate.
sadsack...

p.s.
will let you know tomorrow how it went.

p.p.s
yes... holding one's breath, and crossing as many bodily items as possible, I have found does seem to work best. lol
09-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Chiggerbyt,

Done today, the 11th, all okay, & back to 1.02, Decided to do both factory resets, then had the headache of trying to find out why this and that didn't work as it did before. but everything is now good to go, I had more than just my breath held, I had fingers crossed, and I couldn't even watch, (The way my luck has been lately).....
Decided to take a couple of quick snaps seeing as my Eneloops are getting themselves ready for there first proper charging, ..... weird, on Full Auto, no flash, Viewfinder shot came out quite dark, Live View shot came out better, standing in exactly the same spot no change in daylight. Cant work that one out?
All the best
sadsack