Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Using a SMC PENTAX-A LENS on the K10D

I just purchased a new K10D and I am a little lost. I have a SMC PENTAX-A (400mm) lens and I'm not sure why I cannot take any shots. After looking thru the manual I am even more confused. I must be doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.

01-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GRIZZLY GULCH Quote
I just purchased a new K10D and I am a little lost. I have a SMC PENTAX-A (400mm) lens and I'm not sure why I cannot take any shots. After looking thru the manual I am even more confused. I must be doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.
You haven't really said what doesn't happen, but I imagine you mean nothing happens when you press the shutter release button.

The memo section on p131 is quite helpful.

You probably have the camera set to AF, and do not have focus confirmation in the viewfinder, which is the green hexagon, not the red dot (p 136).

Set it to MF, and it should fire.

Ensure also you have the lens set to A, otherwise the camera will not be able to set the aperture on the lens (p210).
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As chris mentioned set the lens to A mode. Also set the menu option for use apature ring, so it will fire when thelens is NOT in A mode.

with the lens in A you should be able to use all modes, and please note that the exposure will be more accurate in A than setting the apature ring manually.
01-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for getting back to me. You're right, I really did not explain what "did'nt happen". I would press the shutter release and nothing happened. Anyway, I removed the lens and put the "A" on the lens before I coupled the lens to the body-and set the dial to "Av" and it works, everything in the viewfinder working and took the photo. I guess that one must set the "A" to engage BEFORE the lens is coupled to the body-anyway, it works. Thanks

01-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GRIZZLY GULCH Quote
I guess that one must set the "A" to engage BEFORE the lens is coupled to the body-anyway, it works. Thanks
You can actually change it any time you want, but it is awfully hard to access the button when monted