Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Default Diopter adjustment?

What's the default setting for the Diopter adjustment on an *istDS?

ie: what's the setting where it makes no adjustment, for a person with normal vision?

I've noticed a few images are not quite sharp, so I want to see if it's my focus being off (most likely) or if the diopter is adjusted funny meaning I see a focussed image, but it's actually off.

09-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Should be middle.
09-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Focus on the numbers in the viewfinder to adjust the diopter. Also, there really isn't any "normal" vision, everyone is a little different, which is why this diopter is necessary.
09-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Focus on the numbers in the viewfinder to adjust the diopter. Also, there really isn't any "normal" vision, everyone is a little different, which is why this diopter is necessary.
Yes, but you can let your eyesight get checked and then you know .

09-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Yes, but you can let your eyesight get checked and then you know .
My eyesight was checked not too long ago, I don't need glasses and my diopter is not centered, it is 1 click from the far right. I've always had it there, ever since 2008 when I got the camera and my eyesight has been checked twice since then.
09-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are going to manual focus at any time, I would suggest adjusting the diopter. I don't know if there is a default setting. It's possible to move the diopter setting in your general handling of the camera. I've had it happen on my K10D. The lever moves very easily and I have moved it all the way to one end on a couple of occasions taking it out of my bag. The lever could be moved when the camera was packed in the box. For that reason, I check the diopter fairly often. Our eyesight changes as we age and for many of us, that change was rather rapid. Adjusting the diopter is such an easy thing there is no reason not to do it.
09-03-2012, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

To set the diopter, look through the viewfinder at a blank sky and set it so that the lines in the viewfinder focusing screen are sharp and crisp. I do this frequently because of the possible movement of the diopter slide. I use manual focus often, and a sharp screen is essential.
09-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On istds I have to max the adjustment to the left now to see a sharp image. I use the Magnifier M at times but I can't better the focus confirmation anyway.

Incidentally the MX has no diopter adjustment but i can see image sharply with no eye glasses.
How did they do that and why can't they do it on modern dslrs?

09-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
To set the dioptre, look through the viewfinder at a blank sky and set it so that the lines in the viewfinder focusing screen are sharp and crisp. I do this frequently because of the possible movement of the dioptre slide. I use manual focus often, and a sharp screen is essential.
Correct this is the "official" Pentax suggested way to set the Dipper. it applies whether you use glasses or not.
09-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
On istds I have to max the adjustment to the left now to see a sharp image. I use the Magnifier M at times but I can't better the focus confirmation anyway.

Incidentally the MX has no diopter adjustment but i can see image sharply with no eye glasses.
How did they do that and why can't they do it on modern dslrs?
We used to have to buy diopter attachments in those days. The larger viewfinder of the 24x36 systems is like having large print books. It's bigger.
09-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all.

I'll try the clear sky method. (didn't realise the brackets in the screen are affected by the adjustment too)

Originally I'd set it by focussing manually and waiting for the AF beep. Then I adjusted the Diopter so the image was clear, the problem was that there's a bit of leeway with the AF confirmation either side of sharp.
09-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

The diopter adjustment slider is your "personal magnifying glass/reading glasses" for obtaining the best view of the focusing screen. It has nothing to do with the lens or AF.

Try it with the translucent body cap installed for good, repeatable results -- and check it often.

H2