Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #1

KA/X lense stuck on k10D!!!

Hi, I just registered for this after being unable to find an answer.

I foolishly decided to try an old manual Zoom lens on my brand new Pentax k10D, never expecting that it might not come off! And here I am, it twists somewhat left and right, but it simply doesn't go far enough to come out of the socket.

I am about to killmyself, so tell me how to best proceed without incurring substantial damage in order to stop me!?

01-31-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there are some third party lenses, made for KA \ Ricoh cameras that tend to do this, Little pin on the mount.

Check the lens data base also. I read somewhere that the best approach was to carefully work a very thin feeler gauge between the mounts at the location of the pin (again see other threads to find location) and you might be able to get the lens off
01-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
wow, it would have to be amazingly thin, I can't feel any leeway between the mount and lense, damnit. Worst case, I will have to take the old lense apart, guess?
01-31-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the same problem, and was able to slip a piece of thin galvanized sheet metal between the lens and the mount. It was tight, but it worked.

01-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
Where exaxtly did you stick it? I think if found a super thin feeler but dont know where to stick it
01-31-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Demiurge Quote
Where exaxtly did you stick it?
boy have you left yourself open, might want to rephrase that one
QuoteQuote:
I think if found a super thin feeler but dont know where to stick it
here's one thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/12953-ricoh-xr...s-k-mount.html

and here's another

Pentax Lens/Camera Compatibility - Mark Roberts Photography

look towards the bottom.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 01-31-2008 at 01:22 PM.
01-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Forum Member

Have you tried switching back and forth between AF and MF while gently jiggling the lens? Some forum members say this works (the offending pin on the K/R mount hangs up on the AF drive mechanism). Be gentle!
01-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The Ricoh PK/A mounts have an extra pin only used for their cameras of the era. This pin tends to get stuck in the Pentax AF drive screw.

With the camera facing you, the pin is at about the 4:00 position. Put the camera in manual focus, and gently wiggle the feeler gauge between the lens mount and the camera body. When the gauge is in about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch try to ease the lens off.

01-31-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Click here. You'll be able to see where the evil pin is on the lens and where it's getting stuck on the mount; that should help you with wiggling around whatever piece of metal you stick in the gap. Read the whole post to learn how to fix the problem so it doesn't happen again.

Be patient, and don't worry. This has happened to many people and eventually the lens came off, so you'll be able to do it too.

Good luck!
01-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah, by feeler I can tell that there is a pin protruding from the lense into the mount, as it moves with the lense. So that pins seems to be the culprit. However, I'm not able to move the pin, since I cant move the feeler up or down, it's barrely sticking in as is.
01-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #11

Original Poster
That pin really doesn't want to go anywhere. I donno, I think I will dismantle the lense. Thanks for all your help guys.
01-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #12

Original Poster
Will sleep on it. Maybe I can come up with something less destructuve. Sigh.
01-31-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Will sleep on it. Maybe I can come up with something less destructuve. Sigh.
Many people have managed to remove it, so it's definitely possible. Try again tomorrow! Let that lens live!
02-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

So what happened!?!?
02-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi, I just registered for this after being unable to find an answer.

I foolishly decided to try an old manual Zoom lens on my brand new Pentax k10D, never expecting that it might not come off! And here I am, it twists somewhat left and right, but it simply doesn't go far enough to come out of the socket.

I am about to killmyself, so tell me how to best proceed without incurring substantial damage in order to stop me!?
Are yours a real Pentax KA lens or just a Ricoh one? If it is a Ricoh P lens, try to detach carefully with little force and it might come out if you're fortunate. I did (two decades ago).