Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What type of software do you want that doesn't exist?

i have a developer friend who is interested in creating a piece of software for photographers. but, he just needs an idea to get started.

what software would you want as a photographer that would help make your life easier in POST PRODUCTION and PROCESSING that does not exist yet or what does exist is not very good.

thanks for sharing your thoughts...

Last edited by hockmasm; 09-05-2012 at 07:23 AM.
09-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #2

focus on demand
09-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
i should have been more clear. software for POST PRODUCTION and PROCESSING.
09-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ideally, the software should be able to mimic the camera's settings for JPEG etc, such that you can display a RAW image and modify / quantify the changes as per the camera's settings. This way, you can see the impact directly as to what sharpening, vs fine sharpening, vs extra fine sharpening does.

Same with contrast, shadow and highlight protect, etc...

it is not a question of having potentially better corrections, but as an option you should be able to also replicate the camera's controls.

although beyond the scope perhaps, the ability to download your selections to the camera directly would also be nice.

Aside from that, there is not a lot that has not already been done.

09-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

Honestly, Lightroom does everything I need and more. On the processing side, there is always room for improvement in noise reduction and highlight recovery.
09-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A statistical tool for focal length aperture, ISO etc that can scan RAW files. I don't have every shot in jpeg and none of the programs usually mentioned seems to work with raw.
09-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My skills in PP are such that I don't even scratch the surface of what is possible to do. As Lowell mentioned, I don't think there is anything that hasn't been done. Editing programs like Photoshop and Lightroom have their own sections in bookstores with tutorials. The programs are massive and do just about anything you can think of. The "New" versions of existing software are for the most part making it easier to use and more intuitive. The huge Plug In market doesn't do anything Photoshop doesn't already do to a point, it just improves and simplifies certain tasks. For the most part, we're photographers and not hackers and anything that makes life easier and simpler in PP is always welcome. There are a lot of possibilities with the new tablets. I haven't bought one for the simple reason that from what I have seen up until now, I really can't do much with them other than just look at my photos. I think that's where your friend needs to be looking. So far, the big guys like Adobe and Corel haven't done much with the tablets but with Windows 8 about to launch, I think that will change.
09-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Personally, I would like something that approximates what Lightroom does, but not require creating a catalog entry ... or more accurately I would like Lightroom to give me an option to directly open an image file in its developer module, store my changes in a temp file, and THEN let me either discard the changes and likely the image, save a one-up copy of the file with changes, or bring the changes into the catalog and optionally move the file into my desired storage place.

When I had my film darkroom, I would often work with an image for a bit before deciding if it was something I wanted to keep or trash. And there are MANY times I take experimental shots to test hardware or techniques or I need a very temporary record of something, and I already know those shots will be disposed of. With Lightroom, it's like I'm typing up file labels before I know if it is worth my time. That or I am using another tool to make this determination before launching Lightroom ... that is the equivalent of maintaining two separate darkrooms.

09-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Some ideas: a. Software to make a fence/cage disappear. I had a few good zoo shots, but the fence was in the foregroud. b. Software to make shadows disappear. I had some nice snaps of flowers behind a fence. I could take the photo between the fence grid, but the shadow of the fence was still on the flowers. Thanks.
09-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Personally, I would like something that approximates what Lightroom does, but not require creating a catalog entry ... or more accurately I would like Lightroom to give me an option to directly open an image file in its developer module, store my changes in a temp file, and THEN let me either discard the changes and likely the image, save a one-up copy of the file with changes, or bring the changes into the catalog and optionally move the file into my desired storage place.

When I had my film darkroom, I would often work with an image for a bit before deciding if it was something I wanted to keep or trash. And there are MANY times I take experimental shots to test hardware or techniques or I need a very temporary record of something, and I already know those shots will be disposed of. With Lightroom, it's like I'm typing up file labels before I know if it is worth my time. That or I am using another tool to make this determination before launching Lightroom ... that is the equivalent of maintaining two separate darkrooms.
Lightroom upon import is like a contact sheet -- just tag the ones you want and delete the rest. It is pretty easy. I import and delete stuff I only need for 5 minutes all the time, and then poof it is gone. Making a "catalog entry" essentially means nothing. And all changes with Lightroom are non-destructive so you can easily keep them or get rid of them with a touch of button. Can't see the complaint here...what's the downside? You've got to have something to review the images at some point, and no part of it is permanent or difficult to erase/undo/whatever.
09-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #11

i wish lightroom would use focus peeking to make it easier to deselect badly focussed images from an import. for portraits, combined with face recognition, it could even automatically mark all images where the focus is not on the eyes, and suggest to me to delete them.
09-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
i wish lightroom would use focus peeking to make it easier to deselect badly focussed images from an import. for portraits, combined with face recognition, it could even automatically mark all images where the focus is not on the eyes, and suggest to me to delete them.
You are smart!
09-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
You are smart!
Thank you :-) but as a matter of fact, i'm only tired of zooming in, zooming out, zooming in....
09-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
Thank you :-) but as a matter of fact, i'm only tired of zooming in, zooming out, zooming in....
And it should be possible to do.
09-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Lightroom upon import is like a contact sheet -- just tag the ones you want and delete the rest. It is pretty easy. I import and delete stuff I only need for 5 minutes all the time, and then poof it is gone. Making a "catalog entry" essentially means nothing. And all changes with Lightroom are non-destructive so you can easily keep them or get rid of them with a touch of button. Can't see the complaint here...what's the downside? You've got to have something to review the images at some point, and no part of it is permanent or difficult to erase/undo/whatever.
No doubt. But the intent of this thread was software I want. And I want Lightroom to accomodate my workflow, not the other way around. I want to directly load an image from a source (typically the SD card) into the developer and play with it before I decide whether to transfer it to its storage place and import it into a catalog. Yes I know I can import into the catalog from the SD card and from inside Lightroom (but not outside Lightroom or it screws up the catalog) move the source file if I decide to keep the image. Personally, I prefer my OS's tools for manipulating the file system over Lightroom's.

I can do exactly what I have described using Photoshop Elements 9. So Adobe knows how to do this. Obviously Lightroom has better manipulation tools (other than a total lack of bundled support for HDR). In short, I see little reason Lightroom couldn't work either way at the user's choice. It just requires the use of another temporary file.