Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #1

My efficient point-and-shoot workflow for Pentax DSLR, please critique...

: )

Thanks for all the fish!

Last edited by Heliotrope; 06-30-2013 at 12:55 AM.
09-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi Heliotrope, welcome to the forum.
Thanks for sharing, but I don't really get the point of your message though.
I don't want to use my expensive DSLR as a point-n-shoot! Personnally I always shoot RAW only in M (or Av) modes. Continuous drive mode most of the time. In my case none of the other settings you mention have importance. But I do spend time on the computer in post-processing, which I have grown to actually enjoy
Anyway, have fun shooting!
09-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #3

Original Poster

Thanks for all the fish!

Last edited by Heliotrope; 06-30-2013 at 12:56 AM.
09-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heliotrope Quote
Formats: RAW (PEF) + JPEG with second to the highest megapixel size (medium) and second to the highest compression quality (medium).
That's just silly, at those settings you're basically storing a similar quality jpeg file that you already have embedded in the PEF (extract whole directories in seconds with DCRAW's -e switch)

QuoteQuote:
Image Tone: Contrast: +2. Fine Sharpness: +2.
Blown-out highlights as a result? Nope, those settings would not do at all for me.

QuoteQuote:
Colorspace: Adobe RGB
When combined with your later remark "I only post-process when necessary" this is worse than silly. Shoot aRGB by all means, if you do PP and intend to print (semi-)pro. When you prefer not to do post-processing and use images for the web, screen and highstreet printing, sRGB should be your choice.

QuoteQuote:
I hope you understand the advanced technical aspects of this workflow,
I cannot bring the rest of your post in line with this slightly condescending-sounding remark, sorry.

QuoteQuote:
This workflow allows me to just pick up my camera and shoot about 450 pictures per month, in every situation, just for fun, it gets wonderful shots, I only post-process when necessary, and my photos are not oversized so much to keep all of them on a laptop. Cheers!
Buy a P&S, you'll be that much happier! "It gets wonderful shots" indeed!Why not save only thumbnail-sized images? You could store even more, have your whole collection on one SHDC card...

09-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks interesting.
Could you post the more extensive text?
BTW. what camera are you using this with?
09-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
That's just silly, at those settings you're basically storing a similar quality jpeg file that you already have embedded in the PEF (extract whole directories in seconds with DCRAW's -e switch)

Blown-out highlights as a result? Nope, those settings would not do at all for me.

When combined with your later remark "I only post-process when necessary" this is worse than silly. Shoot aRGB by all means, if you do PP and intend to print (semi-)pro. When you prefer not to do post-processing and use images for the web, screen and highstreet printing, sRGB should be your choice.

I cannot bring the rest of your post in line with this slightly condescending-sounding remark, sorry.

Buy a P&S, you'll be that much happier! "It gets wonderful shots" indeed!Why not save only thumbnail-sized images? You could store even more, have your whole collection on one SHDC card...

Thanks for all the fish!

Last edited by Heliotrope; 06-30-2013 at 01:06 AM.
09-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry if it gets wonderful shots.
Oh, that's quite alright. We get many of those around here.

09-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hey guys, no need to get all worked-up about this... Remember a hooby is about having fun, so whatever works for you...!
Anyway I'm still curious, Heliotrope: what led you to buying a DLSR rather than a good point-n-shoot camera? I'm asking because in all honesty I find that one of the main selling points of an SLR is the manual controls over each individual picture.
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
09-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #9

Original Poster
Looks interesting.
Could you post the more extensive text?
Thanks JohnBee! I'm glad you can imagine this.

I posted some meat and potatoes earlier.

I currently use a K200, sometimes a K20.

K200 has a CCD sensor, K20 has a CMOS. I have read that CCDs are simpler and higher quality at the cost of electrical power. But CMOS is easier to implement at a hardware design level.

Last edited by Heliotrope; 09-14-2012 at 02:26 PM.
09-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks JohnBee! I'm glad you can imagine this.

I posted the meat and potatoes earlier.

I currently use a K200, sometimes a K20.
Your welcome.

My wife might like this setup. She doesn't like fiddling with settings. I'll dial-it in her K-5 and see how it looks. We used to shoot the K200D(shot most all Pentax camera's since the K100 safe the K10D) but the K200 was one that stood out for us(very nice IQ).

Anyways thanks for sharing.

PS. I'll let you know what comes out of it.
09-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #11

Original Poster
Your welcome.

My wife might like this setup. She doesn't like fiddling with settings. I'll dial-it in her K-5 and see how it looks. We used to shoot the K200D(shot most all Pentax camera's since the K100 safe the K10D) but the K200 was one that stood out for us(very nice IQ).

Anyways thanks for sharing.

PS. I'll let you know what comes out of it.
Nice! I don't know the K5, but in K200/K20, Custom settings is where you can change the EV stepping from 1/2 to 1/3.
Then click the +/- and quick dial to bring up that EV a notch to +0.3.

Test a shot for Contrast too, it depends on the lens. Then I'd say you're good to go.

Last edited by Heliotrope; 09-08-2012 at 01:46 AM.
09-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Hey guys, no need to get all worked-up about this... Remember a hooby is about having fun, so whatever works for you...!
Anyway I'm still curious, Heliotrope: what led you to buying a DLSR rather than a good point-n-shoot camera? I'm asking because in all honesty I find that one of the main selling points of an SLR is the manual controls over each individual picture.

Thanks for all the fish!

Last edited by Heliotrope; 06-30-2013 at 01:01 AM.
09-08-2012, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My workflow.
Turn on the camera and start shooting.
Look at some shots and histogram.
If they look ok, keep shooting. If they look crappy, change something.
09-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #14

Original Poster
Electricity and Light are divine. Our thoughts and feelings, our spirit, is that electrical expression through us. Considerately channeled, it is an entity, it is a way that light moves through the form of both lens and eye nourished by the sun.

Last edited by Heliotrope; 06-29-2013 at 11:45 AM.
09-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Interesting post. Any recommended settings for k-30 and k-01?