Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot on average 2000 per month with a keep rate of just over 80% (suitable for publication)

My "just for fun" settings are the same as my work settings, I want the same high standards as my employer expects.

My base "Shoot profile" (work-flow is what you do with the image after you have taken the photo) runs like this...

Shoot in RAW only and post process to JPEG if needed, because I can fit 654 photos on a one 16gb card

AV mode - because my priority is DOF or M mode for set shots (portraits and objects)

colour-space - sRBG.... watch this YouTube by Garry Fong on sRBG vs aRBG and you will see why sRGB vs AdobeRGB - YouTube

Image Tone: Saturation: 0. Contrast: 0. Fine Sharpness: 0 because I PP most of my photo anyway

Auto White Balance - Because I shoot RAW it is easier to fix latter.

No on Camera NR - because 90% of the time my photos don't need it, and if they do it will get picked up in the post processing.

Only one lens gets any EV correction and that -1 because THAT lens tends to overexpose a little.

Focus mode and Meter mode driver mode are single - because I pretty good and getting things right the first time and one shot is all it takes.

Instant review is on - you can override by just keep shooting, I like to make sure every shot saved onto the SD card is worth keeping and is metered correctly. I do have a strong faith but praying doesn't make every shot on the SD card perfect.

My "Work-flow" is this.

Shoot according to the light and weather conditions (not necessarily to the default settings)
Upload to laptop and second upload to backup drive

check over and minimal PP to every shot.
convert to high-res JPEG and upload to work server or possible publication
second covert to 80% JPEG and upload for Student and Web distribution.

Format SD card in camera ready for the next days shoot.

If you get seious about your photography, this might be a better starting point..... cheers.

09-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Interesting post. Any recommended settings for k-30 and k-01?
Thanks raider. The above thingy is a template that I've found works well. I'm sure the settings can be setup on those cameras. After a while of course the setup truly revolves around your style, from light to hard drive, grind to brew. Great choice in cameras by the way, I'd get those two too!
09-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
I shoot on average 2000 per month with a keep rate of just over 80% (suitable for publication)

My "just for fun" settings are the same as my work settings, I want the same high standards as my employer expects.

My base "Shoot profile" (work-flow is what you do with the image after you have taken the photo) runs like this...

Shoot in RAW only and post process to JPEG if needed, because I can fit 654 photos on a one 16gb card

AV mode - because my priority is DOF or M mode for set shots (portraits and objects)

colour-space - sRBG.... watch this YouTube by Garry Fong on sRBG vs aRBG and you will see why sRGB vs AdobeRGB - YouTube

Image Tone: Saturation: 0. Contrast: 0. Fine Sharpness: 0 because I PP most of my photo anyway

Auto White Balance - Because I shoot RAW it is easier to fix latter.

No on Camera NR - because 90% of the time my photos don't need it, and if they do it will get picked up in the post processing.

Only one lens gets any EV correction and that -1 because THAT lens tends to overexpose a little.

Focus mode and Meter mode driver mode are single - because I pretty good and getting things right the first time and one shot is all it takes.

Instant review is on - you can override by just keep shooting, I like to make sure every shot saved onto the SD card is worth keeping and is metered correctly. I do have a strong faith but praying doesn't make every shot on the SD card perfect.

My "Work-flow" is this.

Shoot according to the light and weather conditions (not necessarily to the default settings)
Upload to laptop and second upload to backup drive

check over and minimal PP to every shot.
convert to high-res JPEG and upload to work server or possible publication
second covert to 80% JPEG and upload for Student and Web distribution.

Format SD card in camera ready for the next days shoot.

If you get seious about your photography, this might be a better starting point..... cheers.

I love it! Great stuff bdparker!

I've noticed that Pentax saturation has a red gravity to it, AdobeRGB calms that down some and overall feels better to me. Colorspace applies only to JPEG output. Gary Fong doesn't show any examples, related videos do. sRGB has 897K colors, Adobe RGB has 1.3M.

Noise Reduction also only applies to JPEG output. My K200 only has a clean and clear ISO output up to 800.

Focus mode is Continuous and useful to me if I or the subject is moving and just as useful when static. Although one may not like the constant fishing sound in Continuous.

Instant Review for me has to take a backseat, I felt my shooting time from a full charge increased significantly when off, especially when I'm in the viewfinder. If it's casual, I check often. If it's less than casual or a job, I have to check more often, every other shot or so; the point is that when I check once and the lighting or scene hasn't changed dramatically and I'm focusing on a few more shots, not much has realistically changed. Point there, take a shot, check, take a few more; but if I move, and everything is new, I will naturally check again. My Instant Review being off is conservative by any means, and certainly preferential, if I had a rechargeable-lithium-capable body I think I'd let it default for at least a 1 second preview for reference and leave it be.

Note: Regarding power considerations for AA battery users: If you're having trouble maintaining power distribution through time, it's probably because the NiMH is not a low-discharge (LD) cell. NiMHs dissipate power once they leave the charging station, even doing nothing, and as backups, they'll be halved in power in mere days. Rechargeables also have lower power densities than Alkaline or Lithium. Sanyo's 'Eneloop' are low-discharge cells, and perhaps other manufacturers have followed suit, so look for 'low-discharge' as a feature when purchasing NiMH cells.

I am serious about my photography. Thanks!

Last edited by Heliotrope; 06-29-2013 at 12:40 PM.
09-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
what led you to buying a DLSR rather than a good point-n-shoot camera? I'm asking because in all honesty I find that one of the main selling points of an SLR is the manual controls over each individual picture.

Bigger sensor?
Better low-light performance?
Interchangeable or specialty lenses (10-17 fisheye)?
A particular bell or whistle
Intervalometer?

I would not shoot RAW + jpg, though. I also think there is more control and more varieties of control, in RAW processing software. RAW or jpg - please level the horizon if it's supposed to be level:-)

09-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Bigger sensor?
Better low-light performance?
Interchangeable or specialty lenses (10-17 fisheye)?
A particular bell or whistle
Intervalometer?

I would not shoot RAW + jpg, though. I also think there is more control and more varieties of control, in RAW processing software. RAW or jpg - please level the horizon if it's supposed to be level:-)
I shot analog SLR, I needed a digital SLR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG

Last edited by Heliotrope; 06-30-2013 at 01:05 AM.
09-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
my workflow.
Turn on the camera and start shooting.
Look at some shots and histogram.
If they look ok, keep shooting. If they look crappy, change something.
+10,000!!
10-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
My workflow :

Shoot raw ( DNG ... it's compressed losslessly anyway on the K7 so no size penalty over PEF )
Put SD card into computer
Computer opens Aperture, offers to import the pics, I accept.

That's it.

The computer ( Mac ) reads all raw files natively. Aperture makes JPEG previews, organises imported files according to your preferences, makes pics searchable, adds face recognition, all automatically, and allows you to mess with the pics as much as you like, all reversible. Time Capsule backs it all up automatically. Total effort with camera settings nil. Total effort with computer faffing, nil. It's a struggle to call it a "work" flow really

That's what computers ( and software ) are for - making stuff easier and quicker, so you have more time to do other things. Like take photos, or reply to online forum threads

Paul

10-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Sankon. I'd probably call that an automated workflow.

Because I work in a multi network environment I can't/don't use any of the transfer utilities available with the various software I use. So I copy straight from the SD card to my desired directory location and make my backup at the same time.