Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #1

k-30 vs k-5...at the same price?

Hi everybody....

In my country (Italy) I can find K-5 and K-30 both with 18-55WR at the same price...

I'm a novice, and I'm going to buy my first dslr...
I've 3 pentax M lens (28, 55, 135mm)of my father...

K-30 inspires me because it's smaller, lighter, newer (prime M), AA battery options and I've read that produces better .jpgs (I intend not always shot in raw format)and it's provided with better autofocus...

On the other side, K-5 is the flagship in pentax line and it has, magnesium body, upper lcd, mirror lock, bracketing tuning and more customizable dial, but after reading some post on this forum, i find that K-5 seems to be affected frequently by many problems (e.g. autofocus, mirrorflop, etc..)...

Which one do you suggest and why?Is the new AF of K-30 so better in everyday shots?

Thank You

09-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Chosa the mirrorflop only affects the older models' serial numbers. My K-5 with a more recent serial number starting at 42, has no problems with mirrorflop issue as Pentax addressed this. As far as autofocus goes, it does tend to focus funkily in low-light and in tungsten lighting. There's also a chance that your lens release button on the K-5 may fall off at any point regardless of serial number and manufacturing date. However Pentax will send a do-it-yourself replacement kit for that if your lens release button does fall off, that's suspecting that Pentax does support Italy since you can find the K-5 and K-30 there. As far as the K-30 goes, it's got drawbacks as well as plus' that you've already mentioned. On top of that, if you are going to record video, the K-30 has a huge advantage with autofocus and manual controls which the K-5 cannot do in video, but again no external mic output (What was Pentax thinking?). If you want less problems and be safer in terms of technical and mechanical failures, the K-30 is the safer route.
09-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a K-5, get the old version before the new one comes out- it'll be much more expensive!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I am a K-5 user, and have not handled the K-30.

I do believe that I would miss the top LCD and quiet shutter of the K-5 if I was to switch to K-30.

09-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've got a K-5, had a K-r, and also have a K-x. I handled the K-30s on the Pentax K-30 tour and again at a local camera store. I opted not to buy the K-30 because I value the Grip for the K-5 a lot, the top LCD, and the placement of the various buttons (they are different on the K-30) and the more robust metal body. If I did not have a K-5 and did not want a grip, ever, then I would probably opt for the K-30. Better AF, AAs with an adapter (that can be had for $5US on eBay), faster processor, and it has WR as well.

Oh, and take Adam's advice - buy soon because the K-5 mkII will up the price and usually, when the replacement is actually out, prices go up on the old models. Good luck.
09-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter

For me, it would be a tough choice...i do use the top LCD all the time, so that would be a big loss for me. The metal body is negligible for me. If they can make sturtural aircraft components out of plastic, then it's good enough for my camera body. But i would really like the higher magnification viewfinder, the focus peaking and better AF.
I would opt for the K-30 because FOR ME the pros outweigh the cons.
09-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Also keep in mind, when you talk about the previous problems with the K-5 in your post, that the K-5 has been out for 2 years or so now. Of course you are going to read about the problems as more forum posts are generated by people with problems than people who don't have any problems and are just happy with their camera.

The K-30 is brand new in the market - maybe there won't be any problems with it, but it is too soon to tell. One month on the street for the K-30 vs. 2 years for the K-5 is possibly one reason you don't read about any problems with the K-30.
09-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Also keep in mind, when you talk about the previous problems with the K-5 in your post, that the K-5 has been out for 2 years or so now. Of course you are going to read about the problems as more forum posts are generated by people with problems than people who don't have any problems and are just happy with their camera.

The K-30 is brand new in the market - maybe there won't be any problems with it, but it is too soon to tell. One month on the street for the K-30 vs. 2 years for the K-5 is possibly one reason you don't read about any problems with the K-30.
Plus it is using a lot of the technology that Pentax pioneered with the K-5. So, the K-30 ought to have fewer problems because fewer of its components are untested in previous models.

09-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
So the plus given by 14 bit RAW against 12 bit raw isn't important compared to k-30 better AF?
09-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you want a K-5, get the old version before the new one comes out- it'll be much more expensive!
But the question is, how much more expensive... And is it possible the first K-5 will drop yet again when the Mark IIs comes out?
09-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
But the question is, how much more expensive... And is it possible the first K-5 will drop yet again when the Mark IIs comes out?
Roughly $1400-1500 from what is being rumored at present. Historically, once the replacement is out the price rebounds on a camera. The low point is generally once its been d/c'd but the replacement has't made it to shelves yet.
09-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Roughly $1400-1500 from what is being rumored at present. Historically, once the replacement is out the price rebounds on a camera. The low point is generally once its been d/c'd but the replacement has't made it to shelves yet.
Very interesting. Sorry, I'm in the computer industry so I'm used to prices consistently going down on older things.
09-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Very interesting. Sorry, I'm in the computer industry so I'm used to prices consistently going down on older things.
I understand, but used will continue to go down. BNIB on the shelf out-of-production cameras have a rebound in prices for some reason - nostalgia?
09-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
HSV
Veteran Member

Prices go up probably because people realize that the new thing is not really that much better than the previous one, so the demand of the old one increases a bit (I think).
09-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
Prices go up probably because people realize that the new thing is not really that much better than the previous one, so the demand of the old one increases a bit (I think).
As well as supply slightly decreasing.