Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Yeah but that price is for the 4g alone so add GPS, BT and WIFI module to that as well.
I doubt it will become cheaper because they will become faster with each generation.

The HTC One S is here € 399,- without a plan

09-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #62
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Yeah but that price is for the 4g alone so add GPS, BT and WIFI module to that as well.
I doubt it will become cheaper because they will become faster with each generation.
There is also the fact that adding a chip isn't the only cost involved to add these features to a camera, there is a lot more processing power required and camera processors aren't exactly off the shelf stuff.
09-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #63
Veteran Member

And then the extra cost of programming, developing and manufacturing.
09-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #64

Personally I would welcome built-in GPS for hiking and traveling or even something like this. Either way, I need a geotagging solution; the current offering from Pentax is too bulky and expensive.

09-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
I need a geotagging solution; the current offering from Pentax is too bulky and expensive.
Why do you "need" one, you can't make a photo otherwise?
09-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #66
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
There is also the fact that adding a chip isn't the only cost involved to add these features to a camera, there is a lot more processing power required and camera processors aren't exactly off the shelf stuff.
The camera processor angle could become a whole 'nother thread. I'll offer generalized viewpoints:

1. Processors like the Nikon Expeed (see Wikipedia link) are custom ASIC's. However, even with a very custom design, almost every chip (other than very esoteric applications) uses off-the-shelf logic blocks for the vast majority of the chip. Only a few % of the gates are custom designed. All the I/O, cache, and the logic for many algorithms, has already been fine tuned. So, even if 'roll your own' was the camera processor goal, someone else would still be providing the stuff that smokes, the paper, and your ignition source.

2. Despite being ASICs, the camera processors also utilize ARM cores and DSP's for signal processing. As such, I question the wisdom of 'roll your own' camera processors. I personally think that Texas Instruments, Qualcomm, or some of the other SOC vendors could offer better price/performance as they update their process, hardwired logic, and software every 18 months or so.
09-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #67
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
In an era when you can buy an entire HTC 4G phone for $200US, I sincerely doubt that figure.

Anyway, who says it would be the only model, for heavens sake?
Exactly, a camera model without the antennas and LTE/wifi/bluetooth/gps chipset (if not integrated into the SOC) would be about $50 less.

My point is that I can't think of anything Pentax could do for $50 (cost) which would create more buzz or useful features that separate it from the competition.

Wildlife, bird feeder, studio, street and extreme action photographers would love the 'remote viewing'. Especially for extreme action, the weather sealing and relatively low cost would make for a very appealing combination (ie it might survive, and even if it doesn't the shot might be worth a $1000). I can see the 'bird feeder people' permanently mounting a camera on a tree (they are a different sort after all).

For birdfeeders and other 'out of body' applications (bear feeding), there should be a lower cost and more compact model mirrorless model with no screen or on camera controls...just an extremely robust body attached to the great Pentax primes with control via a tablet. Wedding and indy video/still productions would welcome the 'discreet yet capable' APS-C imager.

I can see the headline now "The first DSLR with wifi, bluetooth, and 4G LTE!" If there was an open source API (or even firmware), the DIY modder community would love it even more.

09-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #68

Why do you "need" one, you can't make a photo otherwise?

Of course I can. Do you need autofocus? Liveview? Focus peaking? No but they are useful.

I shoot a lot of nature and landscapes, so geotagging photos is very beneficial for me when it comes to naming and key wording my photos. Right now I use my iPhone for this purpose, but it doesn't work well when hiking.
09-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #69
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dmytty Quote
For birdfeeders and other 'out of body' applications (bear feeding), there should be a lower cost and more compact model mirrorless model with no screen or on camera controls...just an extremely robust body attached to the great Pentax primes with control via a tablet.
I don't think you quite understand how economies of scale work. This camera would be a very specialized device and would be outsold by the standard model by 1000:1, at least. It would be more expensive than the standard model, not cheaper. Look at the Nikon D800 vs D800E, they give you less, but it costs you more because most people want the AA filter, so they sell less of them.

I'm not totally against all of this additional stuff, but it should be just that, additional. Make a module that mounts to the hotshoe or better yet, in a grip with its own power source, don't cram it into an already packed camera body.
09-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmytty Quote
Wildlife, bird feeder, studio, street and extreme action photographers would love the 'remote viewing'. Especially for extreme action, the weather sealing and relatively low cost would make for a very appealing combination (ie it might survive, and even if it doesn't the shot might be worth a $1000). I can see the 'bird feeder people' permanently mounting a camera on a tree (they are a different sort after all).

For birdfeeders and other 'out of body' applications (bear feeding), there should be a lower cost and more compact model mirrorless model with no screen or on camera controls...just an extremely robust body attached to the great Pentax primes with control via a tablet. Wedding and indy video/still productions would welcome the 'discreet yet capable' APS-C imager.
turn on live view on the camera and see how long it last and the shutter lag that you've...
And why on earth do you want to use it with street photography, you pervert

Besides the people that are using liveview constantly on their DSLR can be almost counted on one hand since you buy a DSLR for the viewfinder it's going to be very nice this.
I can see WIFI being use full in the studio but for the rest i don't see it.
Most high end models put WIFI in the grip so that might be a fine solution.

BT might be fun for flash and i would pay for that since it contribute to photography but i doubt we will see that.

Last edited by Anvh; 09-09-2012 at 01:49 PM.
09-09-2012, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Of course I can. Do you need autofocus? Liveview? Focus peaking? No but they are useful.

I shoot a lot of nature and landscapes, so geotagging photos is very beneficial for me when it comes to naming and key wording my photos. Right now I use my iPhone for this purpose, but it doesn't work well when hiking.
I'm with you on that, as I posted a couple of pages back, though for slightly different reasons. This thread is starting to repeat itself. The opposing views seem to be saying "I'd like it" and "I don't want it, so why would you want it?" respectively. We've established that some people don't see merit in the idea, but, once you've stated your objections, constantly arguing against what others want is just being contrary.
09-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Hey you're the one using the word need
beneficial or wanting something is something different then needing it.
09-09-2012, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never not known where I was when taking my photos, so I haven't needed a GPS. If you don't know where you are, don't you seriously need more help than just a GPS in your camera?
09-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey you're the one using the word need
beneficial or wanting something is something different then needing it.
Oh, good! At least we agree on that!
09-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I'm with you on that, as I posted a couple of pages back, though for slightly different reasons. This thread is starting to repeat itself. The opposing views seem to be saying "I'd like it" and "I don't want it, so why would you want it?" respectively. We've established that some people don't see merit in the idea, but, once you've stated your objections, constantly arguing against what others want is just being contrary.
Well we are arguing if the idea is actually beneficial, the Pentax GPS accessory is not $10 but almost 20 times that much so where comes the huge price difference come from?
So can we say the suggested speculated price is not in line with real world?

Also many of the suggested things rely on software on other devices or accessories so it's a complete package you need to buy without any standards about it what so ever. And non of these devices or software exist.

It's nice to speculate but where is the ground?