Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cruiserlan2000 Quote
here are the info on the flower pic:
no flash, 1/1 sec stop, f/6.7, ISO 800, SR on, 38mm focal lenght, with ceiling recessed lighting on my loft (for lights).

thanks - will try your advise and will let you know.
Recessed lighting? Guessing 40-60W bulb in there. 1 second exposure, handheld and you mentioned autopict will guarantee a blurry shot.

But I'm guessing you wanted no flash to avoid blowing out the detail. Try this.

1. Go M on your mode dial.
2. Set focal length to 35 mm so that you can adjust aperature to open up if you need to (let's more light in at cost of depth of field).
3. Set manual WB for incandescent.
4. You can try to stick with ISO at 800 ISO. My hands aren't too steady yet so I go with 1600 which allows for a faster shutter.
5. Adjust shutter speed to about 1/8 (Tv Value on the top lcd is 8, not 8")
6. Change Av value to 6.3 by holding the Av button and turning the wheel.

Shoot away!

If it's blown out, readjust the shutter speed to slightly faster 1/10 or 1/15 or 1/20 until you get it, or try opening up the aperture as wide as it can go.

01-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

on another topic i took a pic of my wife and daughter sitting on a chair - they're not moving and i am about a good 20 feet away from them. i had the SR on, no flash, 1/1 sec, F/4.5 portrait mode ISO 800. and the picture came out blurry. any advise to sway me away from returning my K100D ????
Come on, exposure of your wife and daughter is 1 sec., flowers is 0,7 sec... You need tripod for such kind of shots, shake reduction won't help here.

Your pictures are blurred because of hand shake. Rule of thumb to determine what longest unblurred exposure you can make is:

1/focal length in 35mm equivalent.

Both your pictures were made at focal lengths ~40mm, that equals 60mm in 35mm. So, according to rule you need to have exposure equal or shorter than 1/60 sec. to get sharp picture.

SR can gain ~2 stops, that prolongs "non-shaky" exposure from 1/60 sec to 1/15 sec. 1 sec is a 6 f-stops gain, that's beyond ability of any SR system!
01-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
but isn't auto pic suppose to take care of that settings. when i looked at viewfinder it says focus so i took pic. pardon my ignorance but this is my first DSLR and SLR for that matter since 1979 (when i had my pentax MX). now i am confused. i guess i need more slr education.

thanks,
01-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Your camera in green mode should have been screaming at you to pop the flash up under those conditions. It will take care of the other settings, but you got the best shot you could with the light you had.

01-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #20
Pentaxian

but isn't auto pic suppose to take care of that settings.
It took care. ISO bumped to 800, aperture opened as much as possible. And, as bdavis mentioned, your K100D was definately was blinking flash icon which means it thinks you need to use flash. Pentax DSLR's do not use flash automatically, they leave it up to user.

when i looked at viewfinder it says focus so i took pic.
It's not a focus issue. Exposure was toolong.

pardon my ignorance but this is my first DSLR and SLR for that matter since 1979 (when i had my pentax MX). now i am confused. i guess i need more slr education.
Well, were you taking pictures with your MX in such conditions? I bet you weren't Simply you're asking from camera too much.

Everything is OK with your camera. Of course you can return it, but you won't find camera which will perform better in such conditions.
01-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #21

I know this is a little late but I had the same problem when I updated my K100D. Same when I did my daughter's K110D. Both cameras are working fine.

I have sucessfully used my K100D down to 1/8 second with the DA50-200 at 200mm.

Don't give up - keep practising.

Mike
01-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks guys. i will hang on to my k100d and will do as what you guys mentioned. i know this is a good camera and maybe i am really asking for too much. actually it can do a lot it just that i still have to master it's capabilities. been awhile since i had a SLR and now i am in a re-learning process. on another minor question - is the lcd screen purely for camera info and picture previews? it can not be used as a lcd viewfinder like a P&S?

thanks a lot,
cruiserlan2000
01-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

No, the LCD does not have a live preview like a P&S, and you won't find that feature on most DSLRs. You'd have to buy one of the olympus or panasonics for that.

01-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

thanks guys. i will hang on to my k100d and will do as what you guys mentioned. i know this is a good camera and maybe i am really asking for too much. actually it can do a lot it just that i still have to master it's capabilities. been awhile since i had a SLR and now i am in a re-learning process. on another minor question - is the lcd screen purely for camera info and picture previews? it can not be used as a lcd viewfinder like a P&S?

thanks a lot,
cruiserlan2000
Cruiser - You're doing fine. Considering that you were hand holding the camera for an exposure that long with SR on (.7 sec, 1 sec!), you were as steady as a rock compared to me!

To answer your question - yes. LCD is for preview/review and camera info only. Only Oly E-330 and Panny DMC-L1 have live lcd capability like P&S (Gosh, the Oly has an awfully small viewfinder! Why is that?)
01-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Gosh, the Oly has an awfully small viewfinder! Why is that?
Because it has small sensor.
01-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
great to know that my k100d is as normal as yours and as usual THANKS A LOT for the comments/advises. now i will venture and explore the capabilities of my k100d. but to be honest with you fellow pentax owners i was ready to hit the order button for the panasonic fz7 and almost called for an RMA for my k100d. upon reading all your nice comments and advises it pretty much awaken me. so hopefully i will be a happy camper soon.....

GREAT FORUM and wonderful PENTAX OWNERS.......

---cruiserlan2000
01-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Because it has small sensor.
Ah, that could also explain why they dropped 1/2 a megapixel - achieve less noise and higher IQ compared to 8MP E-500? Could also be cheaper to produce 7.5 MP sensor than 8MP sensor to make up for the live lcd.

BTW Cruiser - FWIW, my buddy has a panny FZ-30 (same sensor as FZ-7 but it has the larger manual zoom lens). We were tooling with it this past weekend under similar conditions to yours and got a similar result with the OIS on but using much slower shutter (400 ISO max on Panny). so no matter what make/model, a camera will only do so much and both of us have a lot of fun learning ahead