Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Updated to V1.02 firmware but...

i just updated my K100D with the new 1.02V firmware and followed the instructions to the letter. on the last step it says remove the SD and turn on & hold the menu button to check the new firmware. got scared for awhile as i did it and my camera won't turn back on. tried it so many times but nothing happened. so i did the most probable thing and put back the SD card. it's now showing as V1.02. now my question is - is this normal for K100D to not turn on unless there is an SD card? shouldn't be right? but any thoughts? ideas? did my firmware update messed up something or is there something wrong with my K100D. looking back at some topics here i am the same one who had a focusing problem on macro mode with my 18-55mm kit lens. until now haven't figured it out yet. but advise on my issue above will be highly appreciated.

on another topic i took a pic of my wife and daughter sitting on a chair - they're not moving and i am about a good 20 feet away from them. i had the SR on, no flash, 1/1 sec, F/4.5 portrait mode ISO 800. and the picture came out blurry. any advise to sway me away from returning my K100D ???? i am still puzzled. wish i could post the pics. but got the learning curve here.

HAPPY NEW YEAR.......

thanks,
cruiserlan2000

01-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
oh by the way here are the pics i mentioned. i put it on flickr instead.

Flickr: Photos from vmaniqui

TIA.....
01-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First I will say I do not have a K100 so take my advise for what it is worth ($.02).

As far as the not turning on. I would suggest taking the batteries out maybe trying fresh set. I always read make sure batteries fully charged or new batteries before firmware update. Maybe your konked out. I would try taking out and putting in a few times. I have never scene a camera not work with the SD card in it.

As far as your blurry picture. I think you may be expecting to much for the SR. You did not mention the lighting in the situation. I think posting the shot could help but I beleive SR gives you a few stops not a miracle with little lite. I am not being a jerk just think you should try a little more with the camera before you give up. I bet you can get most of the answers to your questions in this forum.

Don't give up !!!!!!
01-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You posted the picture before my reply I will take a looksy now/

01-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
my batteries are ok. i am using an eneloop. it had a full bar. what happened was i removed the SD card and turned on the camera but the camera didn't turn on. so i put back on the SD card and tried to turn on the camera and it worked. i check the battery bar and it's full. so without the SD card the camera won't turn back on but with the sd card it will turn on. so anything unsual.

thanks again...
01-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

this nay help with people looking at your picture. If you want me to remove it let me know.

The picture looks out of focus. I read in your other thread there may be in issue with the diaopter. Ithink that is the spelling. Any luck checking that. Are you sure the camera is set the AF (autofocus) and not MF ( manual foucs) Sound silly but starting with the simple may help get to the problem.
01-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The flower picture looks like to low light and maybe to close. Again I am no pro but want to help. can you give more details on that one. Looks like maybe the lighting conditions were really low for this maybe further then the camera could help with

01-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
not a problem. it is set at auto pic, no flash, sr is on. diopter is set (it was the first thing i fix). i was about 10 or so feet away when i took this picture. it gave me the focus icon before i took the shot.

thanks again.
01-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

hmm. try that with the flash on. Have you got any good shots at all? If so I think maybe asking for more then camera can give. I would suggest trying a few with the flash or near a sunny or at least daylight filled window. See what you can get.
01-01-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
on the flower pic - i had my ceiling light on and i made sure that the focus icon is ok before i took the shot. i know that SLR are ok even if there is low light. but in this case there is about enough lights.

thanks again.
01-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
here are the info on the flower pic:
no flash, 1/1 sec stop, f/6.7, ISO 800, SR on, 38mm focal lenght, with ceiling recessed lighting on my loft (for lights).

thanks - will try your advise and will let you know.
01-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

did u have the sd card door open when u tried turning it on?

anyway..the shots u took..looks like just really slow shutter speed and, given that u were in auto pict mode....it probably went below 1/8 or 1/10.....it's outside of what the SR can compensate for..

it's blurry due to camera shake and not focusing malfunction..(at least from what I can see w/ the shot)

u can probably get away w/ 1/15 or 1/10 @ f/3.5 w/ that lighting....(w/ SR on)

(seeing ur shot data, 1/1 is too slow)
01-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have to agree with JoN. As I suspected you may be asking for more the camera can give. Does not mean you should throw in the towel. Just more practise. if you notice the shutter speeds that low it is time to turn on more lights or use the flash.
01-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #14

Going back to the original post, the K100D will not power up if the card door is open. It will power up and appear to take pictures if the door is shut and there is no SD card in the camera. You won't even know unless you look closely at the image that is briefly displayed after each shot. or try to do a review. That's a gotcha. Don't let it happen to you!

As for your family pic, i concur with the others in that's camera shake. Either use flash, or go for a tripod when exposures are slow.

Last edited by chedoy; 01-01-2007 at 01:28 PM.
01-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
chedoy,
ur right on the money. the sd card slot is open when i turned it on. i tried it and with the slot closed it powered on, when the slot is opened it didn't. i thought i was losing my head. on all your advises on my blurry pics - i will try all your suggestions and maybe it will work and will give me more fun time with my 100D and i will all let you know how it goes.

thanks a lot chedoy/vievetrick/JoN. great to have come accross this forum specially to a newbie like me.

cruiserlan2000