Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Upgrading from Kx

I'm not happy with the autofocus performance/accuracy of my Kx (it often misses focus), and I'd like the ability to use the GPS attachment for astrophotography. I'd also like the ability to adjust microfocus for several lenses... so I'm thinking of upgrading from my Kx.

The K-30 is the obvious choice... but I'm also toying with the idea of the K01. I didn't really like the camera at first, because of the lack of a viewfinder, but I could get used to it, and I'd get that wonderful pancake lens instead of another 18-55 kit lens that comes with the K-30. The smaller size makes it a lot less intimidating to subjects I think... and it fits better in a camera bag.

Thoughts?

Charles.

09-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Without a fixed budget, the K30 is a good idea in case you need WR, or the K-01 if you want compact and lightweight. The K-r is cheaper than these but isn't enough of an upgrade from the K-x (although that's what I did for the improved LCD and easier to use viewfinder for AF accuracy).
09-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I'm not happy with the autofocus performance/accuracy of my Kx (it often misses focus), and I'd like the ability to use the GPS attachment for astrophotography. I'd also like the ability to adjust microfocus for several lenses... so I'm thinking of upgrading from my Kx.

The K-30 is the obvious choice... but I'm also toying with the idea of the K01. I didn't really like the camera at first, because of the lack of a viewfinder, but I could get used to it, and I'd get that wonderful pancake lens instead of another 18-55 kit lens that comes with the K-30. The smaller size makes it a lot less intimidating to subjects I think... and it fits better in a camera bag.

Thoughts?

Charles.
The K-30 can be had without lens, although the new lower price for the K-01 is much more attractive. $688 at Amazon for the black K-30 body only and $597 for the K-01 with the 40XS.
09-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also own a K-x that suffers from focus problems and am looking at upgrading. The K5 is priced at $879 at B&H and Adorama and am considering. After reading all the specs on the K II and K5 IIs, I don't think I'll be looking at either one of these. The only reason I haven't already bought one is the Pentax Maximum Assured Price plan currently in effect. Why should I buy a camera when I can't afford the lenses?? Doesn't MAP sound a lot like price fixing? Isn't that illegal in the U.S.??

Just asking....