Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #1

K-7 Hot/Dead pixels

Hello fellow Pentaxians,

It's been a while. I am getting back into photography. On a trip to Niagara Falls this weekend I took a few night exposures of the falls. Upon returning home and loading RAWs into Aperture, I notice that my K-7 has gone crazy with hot pixels. It's very prominent on long exposures. See example. The converted jpg and viewing in browser is not as noticeable as the RAW in Aperture, but there are a lot of them.

100%

[note: no post on this photo]

I see from a quick search this has been a problem for a while. I do recall upgrading my K10 firmware some time ago for similar reasons, I don't believe I did a firmware upgrade on my K7 though.

To my question: Would the latest firmware fix this problem? I used the pixel mapping function on the camera, but I've not tested a long exposure yet.

Also, not related to this subforum, but can I remove these easily from my photos or do I have to touch up each individual dot?

09-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TakeshiKovacs Quote
Hello fellow Pentaxians,

It's been a while. I am getting back into photography. On a trip to Niagara Falls this weekend I took a few night exposures of the falls. Upon returning home and loading RAWs into Aperture, I notice that my K-7 has gone crazy with hot pixels. It's very prominent on long exposures. See example. The converted jpg and viewing in browser is not as noticeable as the RAW in Aperture, but there are a lot of them.

100%

[note: no post on this photo]

I see from a quick search this has been a problem for a while. I do recall upgrading my K10 firmware some time ago for similar reasons, I don't believe I did a firmware upgrade on my K7 though.

To my question: Would the latest firmware fix this problem? I used the pixel mapping function on the camera, but I've not tested a long exposure yet.

Also, not related to this subforum, but can I remove these easily from my photos or do I have to touch up each individual dot?

Take a look at those threads:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/118033-k7-dead-pixels.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-hdslrs/85351-new-pentax-k7-d...xel-video.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/93267-what-counts-dead-pixel.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/78332-hot-pixels-k7.html
and they should help.

I have a K7 as well and I do find some hot pixels once in a while, especially with long esposures (Bulb mode for over 10 seconds and up).
I haven't even tried the "pixel mapping" option in the camera but the consensus is: it helps.
Also: check the firmware for updates.

JP
09-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I should have searched around some more, but I was being a bit lazy.
09-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TakeshiKovacs Quote
Thanks, I should have searched around some more, but I was being a bit lazy.
No sweat !
That's what they all say !

JP