Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
While reading threads/posts on the "upcoming" and "rumoured" cameras, I often come across serious discussions about the need to keep or get rid of the AA filter for sharpness issues.
Then there is the "Moiré" pattern ... although not a scientist, I least I know what that in physics, a moiré pattern is an interference pattern, but that is the end of my knowledge as it applies to photography (the absence of an AA filter).

Can someone here offer a not-too-scientific explanation as to the "consequences" of not having an AA filter, in a way I can understand?

Under which type(s) of photography would one want no AA filter, for instance?
What sort of images would be positively/negatively impacted by the no-AA filter business?
Does the quality of the lens used make any difference IF the camera has no AA filter?

Cheers.

JP
Just google Nikon D800 vs. D800E or check out luminuouslandscape on this topic.
The real question here is how Pentax adjusts the image forming process inside the camera and on the software side to work with no AA filter. No word on that. Medium format backs and Leica cameras have no AA filter, so they have to include moire reduction in the software. There is a significant advantage in image resolution without AA filter. You can always add an AA filter infront of the lens as we did with Kodak DCS cameras just 15 years ago.
I am wondering if Pentax came up with this idea after seeing the D800E or before. They probably have no working solution for the camera yet - just an announcement.

09-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Just to explain it a bit further.
Moiré comes because the level of details is too small for the pixels to render properly.
So if you have more/smaller pixels on the sensor it also means that the level of details (information) that can be capture will be larger, or better yet you can capture smaller details because you've more pixels for that detail.
Imaging resource did a test and actually the only way you see a benefit is with a good prime lens and shooting from a tripod, or else the slight movement of the hand or the slight softness of the lens is already enough to negate the effect of not having one.
I think that with long lenses the slight wobble of the tripod and the air actually already soften the image enough not to have a negative effect of not having a AA filter at 16mp+ pixels.
I doubt you will see a difference between the two.

You might see a difference when shooting portraits in the studio (on a tripod?) with flashlight.
Thanks a bunch for the info !
It is just starting to make sense now.
So, since I am mostly doing wildlife stuff, this wouldn't/shouldn't be much of a problem (the absence of the AA filter). In a nutshell, might as well keep the "classic" K5 and if EVER I have to pick a second K5 body ... go for the K5IIs which should bring out more "sharpness", which is really what one would want when shooting for wildlife (birds, animals ...).

Cheers.

JP
09-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Thanks Anvh.............

JP, I'll have to read the reviews and ask more questions before deciding which Mk 11 to buy..............

Dave
Good idea ... no rush, no stress!
We will soon see reviews by the hundreds pouring in, I am sure.

JP
09-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Yes. This cam has upgrades when compared to the K5. It's not all about reinventing the wheel every go. Look at the 5DII and now the 5DIII.

If you have an excellent design, you fix what's deficient or can be improved. It doesn't always require something that's revolutionary, especially when the base product is very good and IQ is very current.

I do wish they added focus peaking and upped the video FPS.

Otherwise, is the AF works better, it's certainly an upgrade.
I just love my K5, even if it had to be sent twice for various anomalies ... However:

The AF is something I want to see happening with a HUGE improvement, but that doesn't really look that this is the case with the two new K5's, although it would be just fine for someone just entering the K5 world.

I suppose what I want ( a few other "birders" out there) is an AF that is responsive and able to do tracking (to some degree at least) and, hopefully, with a few more "points" to the existing AF.

JP

09-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The real question here is how Pentax adjusts the image forming process inside the camera and on the software side to work with no AA filter.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/198693-k-5iis-moir...ml#post2096157