Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Hi JP,
I still love my Fuji X100, but now drilling down learning more and more about the K5...........the K5 is a fine camera and now I want another body..........maybe even sell the X100............the K5 with either the 15mm LTD or 35mm LTD is a pretty small package that delivers again and again....congrats on deciding on the Sony
Dave
I came very close to get the X100 ... just "that" close.

I will definitely keep my K5 until it dies, albeit plagued (recently), with a few annoyances.
Lucky it is still under warranty.

I have this 15mm Ltd lens ... not used nearly enough though but when I do: just fantastic! Looks great (and performs well) on the K7 as well! The K7 has been quite good for a backup body while the K5 was (is) being fixed at Pentax Canada.

So, what sense did you make out of this business of w/w-out the AA filter when you decide to buy a second K5 body?

JP

09-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I think the concept is that the smaller the pixels, the more effect an antialiasing filter will have on the details rendered by those pixels. So if you are going to cram pixels onto a sensor, might as well make sure it's as sharp as possible.
Just to explain it a bit further.
Moiré comes because the level of details is too small for the pixels to render properly.
So if you have more/smaller pixels on the sensor it also means that the level of details (information) that can be capture will be larger, or better yet you can capture smaller details because you've more pixels for that detail.
09-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
It's funny how they really try to convince the buyer to not get a D800E.
Imaging resource did a test and actually the only way you see a benefit is with a good prime lens and shooting from a tripod, or else the slight movement of the hand or the slight softness of the lens is already enough to negate the effect of not having one.
09-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
And while we are on the subject, what effect would that have if I were to, (eventualy?) buy into the "new" K5, either the K5 II or the K5 IIs ... one has the AA filter while the other doesn't.
I am into wildlife photography, using telephoto lenses most of the time, and details are a must. So is "resolution".

So, after taking a look at the Nikon write up, with very examples, about Moiré patterns, I suppose I am better stick with a camera which still has the AA filter. Right?

Of course, I do, once in a while, dig into "portrait" stuff (for family stuff only): would the AA filter-less camera cause any sort of Moiré patterns in a "face shot" ? Perhaps on the person's clothing, but what about hair and facial details?

JP
I think that with long lenses the slight wobble of the tripod and the air actually already soften the image enough not to have a negative effect of not having a AA filter at 16mp+ pixels.
I doubt you will see a difference between the two.

You might see a difference when shooting portraits in the studio (on a tripod?) with flashlight.

09-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Thanks Anvh.............

JP, I'll have to read the reviews and ask more questions before deciding which Mk 11 to buy..............

Dave
09-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #36
Banned

Still fuzzy to me...............my question, is this an upgrade to my K5?

If I'm not shooting fabric patterns, do I care?

Is that the major change to the new K5? what about AF?
Yes. This cam has upgrades when compared to the K5. It's not all about reinventing the wheel every go. Look at the 5DII and now the 5DIII.

If you have an excellent design, you fix what's deficient or can be improved. It doesn't always require something that's revolutionary, especially when the base product is very good and IQ is very current.

I do wish they added focus peaking and upped the video FPS.

Otherwise, is the AF works better, it's certainly an upgrade.
09-11-2012, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The most common artifact is moiré (pronounced "more-ay"), which may appear as repeating patterns, color artifacts or pixels arranges in an unrealistic maze-like pattern
It's a French word, the pronunciation is mwah-rey. (Sorry, I couldn't stand the thought of everyone in this thread mis-pronouncing the word).

09-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Wonder why do they charge more if they're giving something less .
09-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Thanks Anvh.............

JP, I'll have to read the reviews and ask more questions before deciding which Mk 11 to buy..............

Dave
This the D800E test of imaging resource, as far as i know pixel for pixel the sensor is quite comparable with the one 16mp one pentax use.
So take it with some salt but it should be enough to give you an indication of the potential.

Nikon D800E Camera - First Shots
09-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Wonder why do they charge more if they're giving something less .
They don't give less but they offer an alternative with fewer units that get produce so higher production cost per unit.
Just look at the review above about the D800E and the explanation what they change.
09-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It's a French word, the pronunciation is mwah-rey. (Sorry, I couldn't stand the thought of everyone in this thread mis-pronouncing the word).
haha thanks, it wasnt me who said it thankfully
09-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #42
HSV
Veteran Member

I just saw the following link:

Converting A Pentax K10D To IR Photography | DIYPhotography.net

Just forget about the IR pass filter and go full spectrum.

There you go...is any body brave enough to crack open their K-5?
09-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please see the following post and link in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...filter-k5.html

It appears that it has been tried without luck!

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
Don't do It !

Klaus from photozone do the same operation, it results a unusable K5 !
Photozone - Pentax K5 tests -

"...The K5 seems to be very unique regarding its AA filter characteristic.
After the AA removal the camera produced "shadowed" images for wide-angle settings.
The service company didn't have an explanation but that was the first time the experienced this problem.
I will get a brand new K5 as a replacement, BTW, so the procedure had no impact on my wallet...."
Hopefully, the new K-5IIs will reveal if there is a way to remove the AA filter from the discontinued K5.
09-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This whole subject is quite interesting. I have had experience dealing with moire patterns in the past from the graphic arts industry and doing in-camera hafltones (we're talking HUGE flatbed cameras here). Screening an already screened image would give you the moire. The in-camera solution? Throw the camera ever so slightly out of focus! Hmmm, history repeats itself! Certainly digital correction was just a glean in some imaging scientist's eye then!

Regards,
09-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you actually understand the physics behind it then you'll realise that there is more to the anti-aliasing filter than it just being something that makes the image 'fuzzy'. Moire is just one consequence of not having it, there are others.