Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

dual/twin tethering

Hi guys!

I remember using my k20 tethered for some time lapse..
But now I'm staring at a new challenge.
I need two cameras at fixed angles to shoot simultaneously and transfer the files immediately to the computer. K7 that I own now dowsn't support tethering natively but there are some 3rd party apps - haven't tried them out yet.
Is it possible with pentax? And if then how (software and hardware-wise)
We're planning to build a book scanner and I'd really like to use pentax dslr's for the project (Instead of canon that everyone is recommending for the job)

Thx!

Last edited by arche; 09-10-2012 at 02:31 PM.
09-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt that you will find software off-the-shelf that will support two cameras simultaneously. Software like Remote Assistant and PK-Tether are designed to reckognize and take control of one camera hooked up to a PC. And my guess is that a second camera would either be interpreted as a removable mass storage - or cause the software to crash.

As a simple solution: Couldn't you use two computers for your project?
09-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, the original pentax tether software that worked on the K10D handled two bodies and sent the files to two different folders. It allowed you to have different shooting conditions for either camera.

Possible option might be the wireless SD cards and have them post to different shares on the network. You could use a single trigger for both cameras - IR or wired would work.
09-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #4

A Y connector on the remote switch to both cameras and a pair of wireless SDs. Probably could send them to the same folder.

09-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas.
Two computer isn't feasible, I need to keep the costs down at first.
And I'm looking for as convenient system as possible.

Is the original pentax software the same for k10 and k20?
So getting 2 k20d's would solve the hooking up if I got the old soft running on the new-ish computer (heard that there are some issues..)

The y-connector+wireless SD's is another option. But I've read in another forum that the wireless sd's lag a lot - on the compact cameras.
DSLR will produce bigger files anyway. I'm a bit afraid they'd bottleneck the speed capability of the whole thing.
Then there was some talk about sd-extension cable - does anybody have any experience with that?
09-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #6

Yes, I think the Eye-one cards have a lag. I'm not sure if they even work on a K7. For that matter PK-tether and even Canikon tethering transfers are far from immediate. If you are shooting raw, the files are large, the transfer is serial and I think the rate is pretty low maybe due to data verification. Most people are probably more concerned with the uncorrupted transfer of data than the speed.

Obviously I don't understand the complexities of your project, but for some reason I am thinking that moving light is faster than moving data. What about one camera focused on a set of rotating mirrors. Sync the time lapse to the rotation speed of the mirrors and you might get the same effect as having two cameras.
09-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arche Quote
Thanks for the ideas.
---------

Is the original pentax software the same for k10 and k20?
So getting 2 k20d's would solve the hooking up if I got the old soft running on the new-ish computer (heard that there are some issues..)

----------
K10D operates with the same Remote Assistant (ver. 3) as K20D if the K10D firmware version is 1.20 or later. And smigol is right then: You can indeed operate two cameras (but only K10D or K20D):

Software Downloads : Support & Service | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
02-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.. Haven't been on the forum for some time - but the project is still moving on.
It's all about scanning books with tethered cameras. And it seems that we're left out of the water by pentax when it comes to newer models and tethering. Darn it.
I'm actually, against all my instincts, considering a pair of canon cameras to do the shooting.. :/
Thing is that I need speed as well as better resolution - to capture larger pages. So even if I started out with K20d's then I'd be stuck with their tech and unable to upgrade. And that simply won't do.

Last edited by arche; 02-07-2013 at 05:15 AM.
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arche Quote
It's all about scanning books with tethered cameras. And it seems that we're left out of the water by pentax when it comes to newer models and tethering. Darn it.
Pk-tether works with the K-r, but not the K-30.

I am assuming you are using some mechanism to turn the pages under the computer's control. Perhaps a small addition to that mechanism could be made to also re-orient the camera first to the left page and then the right one. Alternatively a zero cost solution could be to first scan all the odd pages and then the even ones.
02-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Simultaneously triggering two Pentax cameras is no problem. If the selected cameras only have IR based remote release and one remote isn't reliable enough to trigger both cameras - use this modification to two remotes and one switch wired to both.

Now I have a question - why do you need to immediately send the two images to a computer? Is it possible to do the transfer in batch mode? In other words - buy a couple 32GB SDHC cards and you probably scan most books before filling the cards. If you need to keep going, swap in another couple cards to keep scanning, and while the next book is being scanned, dump the contents of the just removed cards to your computer.
02-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #11

Obviously this project is more involved than I appreciate. After all scanners are made for scanning books and that would be my first choice. In any event, how about a different tactic. Set Live View on the cameras and use video capture software on the pc to grab the images.
02-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
Obviously this project is more involved than I appreciate. After all scanners are made for scanning books and that would be my first choice. In any event, how about a different tactic. Set Live View on the cameras and use video capture software on the pc to grab the images.
Video resolution is much lower than still images.
06-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
I doubt that you will find software off-the-shelf that will support two cameras simultaneously. Software like Remote Assistant and PK-Tether are designed to reckognize and take control of one camera hooked up to a PC. And my guess is that a second camera would either be interpreted as a removable mass storage - or cause the software to crash.
From the read me file that comes with Remote Assistant V3.51:

QuoteQuote:
Remote Assistant allows you to use your computer to control a tethered camera, making it ideal in various studio and special application photographic situations. In addition to standard remote camera operation, Remote Assistant offers functions such as:
  • Operational control of 2 or more cameras
  • Interval, Timer, and Bulb Timer modes
  • Remote User Mode and Custom Functions control
  • And more