Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nothing I've seen so far in terms of what's announced has changed my mind. I want a K-30 by the end of next year, preferably in the dark sparkle red.

09-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
K5II is just a K5 with the K-30 AF right? Nothing more than this?
No. The K-30's AF module is SAFOX-IXi. That is basically the same as the K-5's, with a modified component to reduce chromatic aberrations on the AF sensors.

The K-5 II has SAFOX-X, which has a sensitivity down to EV -3 (SAFOX IX only goes to EV -1) and seems to have at least one f/2.8 sensitivity AF sensor (SAFOX-IX only has f/5.6 sensitivity). Actual technical details are still scarce at the moment, however.

Not coincidentally, the difference between f/2.8 and f/5.6 is two stops, the same as between EV -1 and EV -3...

Last edited by RBellavance; 09-11-2012 at 08:14 AM.
09-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Money most likely will go to the Q adapter and 14-45/2.8 for Q.

If I did not have a K5 and looking out for a new Pentax DSLR.
K5iis w/o a doubt.
Its silly to think that the engineers did nothing but make a camera to be worse than the previous model.
Better AF, Faster AF, even sharper o/p, and the size/features/handling, I'll take that leap of faith that its almost the perfect APS-C camera.

I don't care for video (don't have the skills/time to but together something that does not look like another segment from America' Funniest Videos (ie. poor and jerky) )
09-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K5 and 5DII. A K5II, rumored K3, 5DIII or D800 is not going to make me a better photographer. My work doesn't really require awesome AF and I see the resolution on my current cameras as just fine.

To be honest, any of my additional funds should go to a photo class, a few more lenses, or some Lee filters for landscape work. I don't see the camera bodies as a limiting factor in my skill at this point.

09-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I think people really expected too much. So an "improved" K5 is available. Nikon came out with an "improved" D300 and I saw at least one post where the person was going to switch to one. Did Nikon owners all threaten to switch to Canon? Then the D7000 was announced and then recalled due to problems. Better that Pentax made some improvements to existing models than to rush a new camera to market. We've seen enough of that already. I would have liked to have seen more lens choices. We got a long zoom I have no interest in and a telephoto I can't afford. Add at least another $1000 to that telephoto price for a gimbel head and tripod to hold it. My money will go to the things I was considering already like a macro and a fast zoom.
09-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I think people really expected too much. So an "improved" K5 is available. Nikon came out with an "improved" D300 and I saw at least one post where the person was going to switch to one. Did Nikon owners all threaten to switch to Canon? Then the D7000 was announced and then recalled due to problems. Better that Pentax made some improvements to existing models than to rush a new camera to market. We've seen enough of that already. I would have liked to have seen more lens choices. We got a long zoom I have no interest in and a telephoto I can't afford. Add at least another $1000 to that telephoto price for a gimbel head and tripod to hold it. My money will go to the things I was considering already like a macro and a fast zoom.
People keep posting opinions similar to this assuming the K5 has been significantly improved. But what irks me and some other Pentaxians is that the improvements were limited to supposedly improved AF and a better screen. That's it. The lower end K30 and K01 have better image processors than the supposed flagship. No changes to the flash system (in camera), no changes to the number of AF points, no focus peaking, etc. Look, I would have been super happy with an actually improved K5. Like others have said, the sensor is fantastic, and the body and ergonomics are second to none.

My beef with Pentax is not that they didn't release an FF D800 killer, but that they did such a half assed job at refreshing the K5.
09-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #37
Pentaxian

My money will go to the trash euh I meant to the DA560...NOT! Come on Pentax, we are not all called Buffet or Gates!

In all seriousness, I'm really tempted by the Nikon D600, for sure I'm not investing a penny to Pentax until the FF comes.

09-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's "official" is that Pentax had made a batch of announcements, not that they've announced everything they'll show at Photokina.

I find it just as easy as the next guy to get caught up in feverish anticipation of what's in the pipeline, and in disappointment when they don't announce exactly what I most want. But most of what brought me to Pentax is still there. If a K-3 or whatever is announced by Photokina I will consider waiting for that. Otherwise I will probably pick up a K-5 or K-5IIs. Whatever happens I certainly won't sneer at anyone who feels the need to switch systems (nor will I refer to this as "jumping ship").

We live in an amazing and amazingly accessible age of photographic technology. If you got into the game within the last 10 years you have no idea.
09-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Thanks! My full frame Nikon and primes are lighter than my K-5 kit was! I can now run further and faster!
Well, you may be right, but it does rather depend on which lenses you choose as your primes. The K-5 with a DA15/4 is actually lighter than the D800 body alone.

Edit: and lighter still, in comparison with the D700.
09-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I sold two K-5 bodies thinking that I would hold off on selling my lenses until I saw what came out of Photokina. The main reason? Because I expected the flagship model to be an extension of the K-30. Like others have said, I could have accepted a revamped K-5 as long as it had Focus Peaking, a faster processor and improved AF, but at this rate there's hardly incentive to 'upgrade' from a K-5 Classic - I'm sure that owners of other cameras will be happy to upgrade. Unless something like a K-3 is released at PK then it appears that Pentax has abandoned current K-5 owners, effectively excluding us from an upgrade path. Life's too short and I wont be waiting another 6 months (let alone another two years) to be spoon fed a few minor enhancements or half arsed products.

PS: I remember seeing a predicted retail price of $3800 for the 560mm/5.6 lens and am wondering if the 'new' price of $6999 was subject to the price increases we've witnessed in the past week or is just based on the whims of the manufacturer. I don't imagine people would be buying that lens en masse so is really worth regarding as an actual product? . Oh, and BTW, is that lens a Full Frame or APS-C only image circle? Imagine investing all that dosh on an APS-C only lens.. scary.
09-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
The way I see it, there are 4 possibilities for "main workforce" cameras...

K30
K5
K5 II
K5 IIs

Fair?

Let's call the prices this, I can adjust this if you find something that says otherwise:
K30 $800
K5 $900
K5 II $1300
K5 IIs $1400

I think that should be approximately right...
As a K-x owner looking to upgrade, I see one more option: K-5 used $675. For my situation, I can either get a used K-5 in about 1 months time or wait until spring 2013 and make a decision on the current pentax once I have enough money saved.

The immediate purchase has several things going for it:
1. I get a K-5 to use almost right away - a big upgrade over the K-x and i can start feeding the LBA again!
2. A K-5 for $675, V-A-L-U-E
3. If Pentax releases a "Oh I gotta have it" body in 2013 I can re-sell the K-5 for $550 take the $125 loss and get the new body.
4. I don't have $900 - $1000 dollars lying around for several months waiting to fall prey to my LBA (already happened with the 16-50 and 50-135 this year)

The downsides:
1. I won't have the newest DSLR from Pentax - meh
2. I run the risk that Ricoh royally screws the Pentax brand and all my gear becomes significantly devalued before I switch gear (I consider this highly unlikely)
EDIT: 3. the camera buys it and I have no warranty

I think I've just talked myself into a K-5....

Last edited by Gareth.Ig; 09-11-2012 at 06:56 PM.
09-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I agree, the K5 "classic" could be a great value. I haven't looked at prices lately but I suspect it's a pretty good deal.
09-11-2012, 10:56 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I have a K5 and 5DII. A K5II, rumored K3, 5DIII or D800 is not going to make me a better photographer. My work doesn't really require awesome AF and I see the resolution on my current cameras as just fine.

To be honest, any of my additional funds should go to a photo class, a few more lenses, or some Lee filters for landscape work. I don't see the camera bodies as a limiting factor in my skill at this point.
If we all sit down and think for a moment, surely this is the most sensible post out here.

It's interesting that we rely on the camera body so much to improve our overall photography, and it's the tool we can blame when we are not satisfied.
I've only had my K-5 sine the end of May and I think it is a great camera. Yes, "great".
Huge improvement on the K10, which I still use.

A lot of talk about people moving on to another system.
Is it really a case of keeping up with the Jones'?
Could it be peer pressure?

Looking at the PPG and "Post Your Photos" thread, I have seen some excellent photography and it makes me realise how much I need to improve, and not rely on my camera, but my own ability to actually master it.
Jumping ship will solve all of the "problems".
Ah, if only it was that simple...
09-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #44

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Let me know how the 85mm 1.4 is for portraits using those bodies you have.
I have a K5 and K30 with the Sigma 85mm F1.4 and they work well together. some examples are in my profile gallery.
09-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #45
Veteran Member

It's amazing how quickly things can change. It's only been 2 days (if that) and we're already calling the K-5 the K-5 Classic.