Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #46
Pentaxian

I don't know about you guys but the A99 is looking very interesting atm.
Can't wait to touch one at the Sony store.

I just hope it doesn't turn out like the NEX-7 did, which had me all hyped, only to turn out to be a complete let down afterward. I held it in my hands for like 5mins before I was completely turned off by the thing. EVF felt quirky and artificial, camera felt ackward and the noise performance felt like 3 steps backwards. But that was then and this is now I guess.

Here's to hoping Sony!

09-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbroadbentphoto Quote
I have a K5 and K30 with the Sigma 85mm F1.4 and they work well together. some examples are in my profile gallery.
So you're telling me all I need are lots of beautiful models and the Sigma 85mm is a good lens?
09-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K6-III Quote
I've upgraded to Full Frame by migrating to film while I wait for a full frame digital from Pentax. The K5 is perfectly adequate for my digital needs. Hopefully, by the time Pentax releases an MX Digital, or sony releases a Full Frame NEX, the sensors will be close to film in dynamic range.
Back in the day of 6 MP cameras I was told they far surpass film hence you would be taking a step backwards I bought a camera last year why should I buy another one now? I would look at either the K30 or the K5II if or I should say when I take a trip to either Scotland or Iceland due to thinking WP and a backup would be good to have on such a trip. I might buy a 15DA if everyone else is dumping their Pentax gear due to the passing of the deadline for FF cameras if it is cheap enough but I use my wife's 10-20 otherwise. Or I might take a workshop or go to a weekend of LF shooting in Nevada. I do not need FF. Used the D3 once even though I was offered its use since the introduction and still have not taken advantage of the same offer with the D4 though I might see about a D800 for the weekend. Having had a D200 since its introduction I perfer the smaller size of the Kr.

I have been shooting for 39 years and am on my third film SLR which I still use and I guess the third DSLR although the first two I did not buy and the D1X was already used when I got it. I really do not understand why K5 owners think they were needing a new camera. I listen to a lot of photographic podcasts and many of the pros interviewed were using neither the newest or the best of their manufacturer's line up. When listening to Art Wolfe talk about his gear his lenses are f4s so not even the fastest that Canon makes to take full advantage of the shallower depth of field of FF. The concept of the need to upgrade every two years or less is not in my mindset and would not be even if money was not as tight as it is now. My photo account should have more than enough for the K5II by late winter but until I need a new camera Pentax will have to wait for my money.
09-12-2012, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
So you're telling me all I need are lots of beautiful models and the Sigma 85mm is a good lens?
That lens is great regardless of who's in front of it.

09-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #50

Photos: Albums
That helps, but someone asked about that lens and body combo for portraits. I also do other portraits that you can view here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/195945-people-children-photography.html
09-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Random thought I just had... I live in MN, we have rough weather conditions and those are some of the conditions I want to get my camera out the most in...

The reason I bring this up is that the K-30 was sounding like a good bet for me, but now it seems like thinking of this it might not be. Perhaps I should go with either the K5 Classic or K5 II. I suppose the main things I want to upgrade from my K20D are faster AF, better low-light/high ISO performance, and the ability to shoot HD video... Any of the three of those would accomplish that, but the K5 and K5 II have superior weather sealing, correct?
09-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #52

Photos: Gallery
I will first wait to hear if K5II AF is really much better than K5 AF or not...good AF is very important cos no use with photos outof focus...
09-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that with in few weeks there will be a lot of good information to ponder more of which one to buy. K-30 should be most affordable and really good one still, from all of them. If counting only "new" products.

09-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 123jippo Quote
I will first wait to hear if K5II AF is really much better than K5 AF or not...good AF is very important cos no use with photos outof focus...
I'm in the same boat. I would certainly see the K5 classic as an upgrade from my K20D, but I do question if the AF will be better, and if so, I will most likely be waiting for the price to come down at least once, possibly twice, and then jumping on a K5 II.

The people who are questioning if the AF is better, is the question if it is better than the K5 or better than the K30?
09-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
.. need to reduce debt.
So.....pardon my boldness for asking, but, regarding this....you bought an 800E and you're going with NIKON? Did I just get out of bed in the twilight zone? Or what am I missing? "Reducing debt" and "Nikon" don't go together, generally speaking.

Regarding the OP's question, I'm thinking K-30 for several reasons. The K-5 II versions may in fact have something better than K-5, but "how much" better may be the main question. For many shooters, the incremental performance improvement may not make a difference for their uses.
09-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
So.....pardon my boldness for asking, but, regarding this....you bought an 800E and you're going with NIKON? Did I just get out of bed in the twilight zone? Or what am I missing? "Reducing debt" and "Nikon" don't go together, generally speaking.

Regarding the OP's question, I'm thinking K-30 for several reasons. The K-5 II versions may in fact have something better than K-5, but "how much" better may be the main question. For many shooters, the incremental performance improvement may not make a difference for their uses.
I was trying to be funny. Just ignore me if you will? I'll be leaving very soon anyway.
09-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I'll be leaving very soon anyway.
Best wishes, then. As you may have the opportunity, drop over and share a line of wisdom about the Nikon side of things. It is always good to know of others' experiences. Thanks.
09-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I suppose the main things I want to upgrade from my K20D are faster AF, better low-light/high ISO performance, and the ability to shoot HD video... Any of the three of those would accomplish that, but the K5 and K5 II have superior weather sealing, correct?
I have a K20D and K-x, and had a K-5 for a couple of weeks. The K20D has trouble focussing in low light vs the other two and AF-C is not up to current standards. The K-5 I bought was dead accurate in daylight, even in dim conditions. It front-focussed severely in tungsten light so I sent it back. If I were in the market now, I would go with the improved AF on the newest models.

The weather sealing on the K-30 and K-5 (all models) is improved vs. the K20D. I don't care a whit about video, but I believe the K-5 does not do as well as the newer models, including the K-30. The quiet shutter on all of the K-5 iterations is an attractive feature for me. The clack-clack-clack from my K-x scares the crap out of wildlife, and from anything I've read, the K-30 is similar.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-18-2012 at 08:38 AM.
09-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Best wishes, then. As you may have the opportunity, drop over and share a line of wisdom about the Nikon side of things. It is always good to know of others' experiences. Thanks.
Thanks for that.
09-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #60

Photos: Gallery
... I'll be leaving very soon anyway.
don't check out completely...

I totally understand your position - when FF didn't happen, a lot of people got frustrated, and I can't blame them.

here's my theory - most of us come from the film world. we've got decades of experience behind us using a system where we intuitively know what field of view will be captured from a specific lens on a 35x24mm frame. it's a psychological thing. it's how we've trained ourselves to see photographically. Yes, we can get used to the FOV adjustments for APSC, but for many of us it isn't as intuitive.

we've all got to make the choices that work for us as photographers, and we all have to support, or at least understand each other in those decisions.

me - I've got my K5, my two limited primes and my Q with the 01, and I'm fine. I won't be spending any more money until the Q tele and wide primes are released, and I can't even be certain of that yet... I spend my money when I identify a need - and it's not time for an upgrade.

someday, when a Pentas FF is released, and it is a good camera that fits my needs, I might get it if it's time to retire the K5. But for now, I'm happy with what I have.