Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Now that it is official... Where should your money go?

The way I see it, there are 4 possibilities for "main workforce" cameras...

K30
K5
K5 II
K5 IIs

Fair?

Let's call the prices this, I can adjust this if you find something that says otherwise:
K30 $800
K5 $900
K5 II $1300
K5 IIs $1400

I think that should be approximately right...

So the K30 is the smallest, the K5 probably has the "worst" AF, the K5 II and IIs might have even better AF and noise handling than the K30. Right?

To me, the K5 is basically out unless it gets cheaper than the K30 as the K5 II is only so much more expensive than the K30 and if you want feature x, y, z that the 5 vs. the 5 II, it makes sense to just save up a little bit more...

The K30 doesn't have the ability for a battery grip, so that's another piece, and right now I might be leaning towards the K5 II because of the AF and high ISO performance over my K20D.

Last edited by Buschmaster; 09-10-2012 at 04:45 PM.
09-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 II is $1299 ($1300). I'm personally calling shenanigans on any noticeable AF improvement until I see further proof!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
To me, the K5 is basically out unless it gets cheaper than the K30 as the K5 II is only so much more expensive than the K30 and if you want feature x, y, z that the 5 vs. the 5 II, it makes sense to just save up a little bit more...
I'm anxious to see how the K-5 II performs against the K-5 myself. AF is one thing, but I'm wondering if perhaps Pentax hasn't found a way to squeeze a little more out of this sensor.
09-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k-5 II if the AF is solid. k-30 if the k-5 II's AF isn't better than it.

09-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

K5II is just a K5 with the K-30 AF right? Nothing more than this?
09-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 II with "exceptional" AF. Or wait till... the next one.
09-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My money is going on a second D800/E and either a Nikon 300mm [or a 400].

Time to sell my Pentax rig. I love it but compared to the D800E it's a no-contest. I was hoping that Pentax had overcome the limitations of 24MP sensors and release a 24MP K-3 whichwould allow me to keep my DA*200 & FA*300 instead of buying Nikon telephotos. Seeing as my D800E has a 15million pixel 1.5x crop mode it's probably pointless hanging onto an APS-C camera anyway. Fast Nikon Tele's with VR cost a fortune.

Last edited by bossa; 09-11-2012 at 12:51 AM.
09-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
My money is going on a second D800/E and either a Nikon 300mm.

Time to sell my Pentax rig. I love it but compared to the D800E it's a no-contest. I was hoping that Pentax had overcome the limitations of 24MP sensors and release a 24MP K-3 whichwould allow me to keep my DA*200 & FA*300 instead of buying Nikon telephotos. Seeing as my D800E has a 15million pixel 1.5x crop mode it's probably pointless hanging onto an APS-C camera anyway. Fast Nikon Tele's with VR cost a fortune.
Bossa, they will release a K-3, question is whether it is in 2 weeks, or in 6 months.
09-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah I know but I cannot afford to hold out any longer.. need to reduce debt.
09-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-5 II is $1299 ($1300). I'm personally calling shenanigans on any noticeable AF improvement until I see further proof!
Whoops! For some reason I was thinking $1199 and $1299, but I was close. As far as AF, I'm thinking the same, but I was also thinking the same before the K-5, K-7, and K30 over my K20D, and that was proven to be the case.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'm anxious to see how the K-5 II performs against the K-5 myself. AF is one thing, but I'm wondering if perhaps Pentax hasn't found a way to squeeze a little more out of this sensor.
Does it have the new Prime processor?

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
k-5 II if the AF is solid. k-30 if the k-5 II's AF isn't better than it.
I'm in the same boat, I'll certainly be waiting for tests and others impressions for sure!

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
K5II is just a K5 with the K-30 AF right? Nothing more than this?
Actually, I believe the K30 has the SAFOX IXi AF (9i) and the K5 II has SAFOX X (10) so it should be an even newer AF if I'm not mistaken. But yes, it is largely the same as the K5, not that that is a bad thing!

Edit: It also has a better LCD and "better high range ISO"

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
K-5 II with "exceptional" AF. Or wait till... the next one.
I always seem to be in the "wait till the next one" category.

I'm not a big fan of Nikon bodies, but their glass is decent enough. If I were to switch brands it would be to Canon hands down.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Bossa, they will release a K-3, question is whether it is in 2 weeks, or in 6 months.
I'd say even later, yet.

Yeah I know but I cannot afford to hold out any longer.. need to reduce debt.
Don't do it!
09-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #11

Yes, it is time to move on. Higher flash sync speed, flash system, dual card slots, better auto-focus, crop mode and a number of other features outweigh size and ergonomics. In light of the recent price increases of Pentax lenses, the gap between expensive glass on other systems is much less than before. I'll relegate my K-5 as a backup camera for now. The incremental and major improvements from the K-7 to the K-5II do not equate to an "upgrade path". Time to start reading some other manuals...
09-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree totally. Pentax does not provide the worldwide service network that Canikon have had for decades. In fact they don't even provide the primary sales network I would expect from a major brand.

Nor do the cameras have the features of other brands. At one time they had the advantage of compact size, but that was before the mirrorless brigade stole their thunder. Despite all of this, Pentax have increased prices, a deliberate policy they announced some years ago. So there goes their last advantage.

I moved to MFT two years ago. I barely use my Pentax rig anymore. Every now and then I come back here to see if they have announced anything that would change my mind. Until they have an EVF and non-crippled mount in a smaller, lighter unit it ain't gonna happen.

I recommend up-sizing to Nikon or down-sizing to the Olympus E-M5, depending on your photographic priorities.
09-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've upgraded to Full Frame by migrating to film while I wait for a full frame digital from Pentax. The K5 is perfectly adequate for my digital needs. Hopefully, by the time Pentax releases an MX Digital, or sony releases a Full Frame NEX, the sensors will be close to film in dynamic range.
09-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

I second your vote of shenanigans..
09-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Yes, it is time to move on. Higher flash sync speed, flash system, dual card slots, better auto-focus, crop mode and a number of other features outweigh size and ergonomics. In light of the recent price increases of Pentax lenses, the gap between expensive glass on other systems is much less than before. I'll relegate my K-5 as a backup camera for now. The incremental and major improvements from the K-7 to the K-5II do not equate to an "upgrade path". Time to start reading some other manuals...
Well I already have 'moved on' as I have a Nikon D800E etc.. (yellow text in my sig) it's just I have been hanging on like some kid who's scared to leave home.. lol