Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Im willing to bet they rehashed a bit of the old and improved upon it a bit to stay in the game while they work on the next big leap for Pentax. I would much rather they spend a little more time fledging out the next gen model than to rush that one out the door with all kinds of flaws. Sure a FF would be nice, but if its horrible and doesn't hang with the competition (the other guys have already been makin them for years) then people will definitely be willing to jump ship since they don't have their stuff together.

Slow and steady wins the race, right?

09-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its not half baked, its RAW
09-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Seeing the lineup of new stuff, my first thought was that they have a bunch of major upgrades in the pipe, but they aren't ready. I'd think a rewrite of their code base possibly or something equally challenging. If Pentax learned anything from the K-5, it was the necessity of getting a finished product out or face failure.

So a refresh of the K-5, already a pretty good performer was the answer. Fix the AF, and a few other changes. We will see what else they have changed/fixed, but probably nothing major. Keeps it on the market without a huge investment of R&D.

Travelling to a larger center recently the shelves of camera retailers have the K-5, K-30 and K-01 on display. A refresh will keep it there until the next generation is ready. I think that the IQ of digital cameras is now so good that any marginal improvements are very difficult to attain.
09-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a Kr owner, the K5II, as it stands, does not seem like a worthwhile upgrade. I would rather buy a used K5 and save a few hundred dollars. I will probably wait until some initial reviews are in, but I just don't see how the K5II is worth it. I've lost count of how many times I've said this in the last few days, but hopefully I'm wrong about the K5II. I'd love to upgrade to it, but it's just not worth 1300 for two year old technology (almost 4 year for some of the hardware).

09-10-2012, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the K-5ii and s are a pretty poor update from Pentax, its more of less same specs with improved AF, and one lacks an AA filter.
They could have at least fitted a new sensor, new processor, added another card slot, upp'd the lousy 1/180 flash sync.

Its been what.... 2 years since the release of the K-5, and this is what they have came up with in 2 years?
Wake up Pentax!!
09-11-2012, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Poor update, unless you have felt held back by the K5 AF. And it remains to be seen how good the K5II AF really is.

The K5 is an awesome camera, but rehashing it with a few updates is not going to keep the wind at Pentax's back. Hopefully they have an ace.
09-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

This keeps a Pentax brand Prosumer level camera in production and on the shelves. It also adds dimension and mimics what others have done regarding the AA filter option for the new Mk II versions. If Pentax could not make the sensor deal work with Sony for the new sensor, this is better than having no Prosumer level camera at all in their current lineup. It capitalizes on the K-5 being a killer camera (it is and all the tests support that) in most areas and adds a, hopefully significant, improvement in the weakest area - the AF. While this is not a major announcement it is a serious announcement IMHO. It's not enough to get me to run out and buy one, but I am interested in what the evaluations and field use show regarding the AF once they get into peoples hands.
09-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #23
gtl
Veteran Member

Let's stop the whining and see how it performs in the field. If SAFOX X is really much faster and tracking is close to what Canikon can provide, whats there to complain? The only downside I can see thus far is the size of the AF points. If I am not mistaken, it is exactly the same size as the K5's

09-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Whilst it may not be directed to existing K-5 owners, it may give enough reason for a K-x/K-r owner to make the jump. The AF upgrade alone may make the camera a success.
You think? If I didn't have my K5 now I would jump to the last remaining discontinued new K5 out there. And save money for a nice new prime lens.
09-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
Forum Member

I have the K-r now, and I love it. Almost pulled the trigger on the K-5 18 months ago, but it was still in the midst of the FF and stain issues. I would love to pick up a K-5 II, but not at the release price. By the time I have enough money saved to upgrade, hopefully Pentax will have announced a true successor to the K-5, but who knows at this point. From reading the posts here recently, Pentax is really churning the waters with their lens pricing.
09-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I think the K-5ii and s are a pretty poor update from Pentax, its more of less same specs with improved AF, and one lacks an AA filter.
They could have at least fitted a new sensor, new processor, added another card slot, upp'd the lousy 1/180 flash sync.

Its been what.... 2 years since the release of the K-5, and this is what they have came up with in 2 years?
Wake up Pentax!!
I am with you 100%! I am hoping that this is simply a hold over until a completely new generation can properly go through R&D. Since it is only 10 months since Ricoh entered the picture, I am hoping that they are wither planning an announcement at CP or have some plans for early 2013...but a nice little leak of info would be nice!!
09-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Half-baked or not ... two words come to mind: "cash cow".

You've a got a very good product that you tweak the AF and here and there ... and bingo, continued revenue stream! Extended life, just like in a video game ... and who says that you have churn out a new DSLR every 18 to 24 month period? What was the K-30?

Kind of a K-5 "no-brainer" from a company hopefully coming back from the edge of the abyss, what about a year or two ago, wasn't it ... keep the cash (cow) registers singing ...
09-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #28
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax needed to release something for PK, but how quickly can a smaller manufacturer get cutting edge gear on the shelf? The K-5 II may have been as much as their capacity have allowed for, particularly with the ownership changing hands and R&D work being impacted with the move. Sure, this isn't akin to Canon's 5D upgrades, but Canon too took a while to get their Mark II and III out. In any case, griping over Pentax's lack of new and innovative products in this new product cycle won't help bring the wish list any closer to reality.

The K-5 is, even as is, a very good camera. In most cases, FF is a want, and we can shoot APS-C quite effectively until we've given Pentax enough time to manufacture a good FF dSLR. Inevitably, this will happen - it's just a matter of time. It's worth being patient.
09-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #29
Inactive Account

I'll go nuts reading almost everybody complaining about no new model is released "yet", c'mon folks even after a year it is released K-5 was/is still a best APS-C camera around, why? because K-5 have,:

-Smallest, legendary ergonomic body around, (also handsome looking to me)
-"The" Best dynamic Range,
-Fairly good price,

I strongly believe fixin' weaknesses like AF and FF/BF issues of this legendary camera is a good move for the Pentax. Ricoh and Pentax just got married last year, isn't that a little early to have babies already? Will be FF or not new flagship will arrive next year for sure, sometimes I am thinking instead of writing or reading here I should go and take more pictures sometime, but somehow I don't.

Last edited by cbaytan; 09-12-2012 at 05:10 PM.
09-12-2012, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was Very close to getting the k-30. Really close.

I Shoot mostly Film and Have never owned a Digital SLR.

But I will get the K-5IIs. Because I am Very curious to see how it will do B&W and I have a boatload of Older K lenses.