Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you rather take the best low-light AF APS-C or another lousy AF FF from Pentax?
APS-C with complete AF overhaul 3871.70%
FF with same lousy AF 1528.30%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
Second that. I never use any other point except the center one. Get that one perfect and I'll be happy forever.
Me too. Can't remember the last time I (purposely) used any focus point other than center. I just want it to focus quickly and accurately.

09-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a manual focus only user, I'd prefer the FF.
09-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the reason they came out with the K-5 II is because the K-5 was a very solid built, good camera. So why forget it when you can build on it. They came out with improvements with the k-30 that the k-5 doesn't have so they thought we could upgrade the k-5 to keep it up above the k-30 without investing in a totally new system. This gives them more sales now as they build for the future. They can get a faster return on their investment without having to create new molds and all the manufacturing with a new body. Just like Ford does with a Mustang or Canon has done. Makes sense, take what you have and make it better without starting over. When you really have something new and great, then you build a new system. There is no K- r II? There is a k-30 that I would rather have than my k-r. But the K-30 is not as pro level as the k-5. The k-30 might take just as good pictures. This takes out the dicision of should I buy a k-30 or a k-5. Pentax is saying, look the k-5 II is now our distinct flag ship camera. Make sense to me, however I would rather have a new super barn buster camera with outrageous shadow correction.
Pentax is on the move and I think this move is an act of momentum and a smart investment for them while keeping up with the jones's!

Racerdew
09-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The survey questions are seriously flawed.

09-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The survey questions are seriously flawed.
Agreed, and yet a surprising number of users would still rather have FF. Unfortunately the OP isn't the only one who doesn't get this ::cough:: Pentax
09-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
The number of AF points doesnt change that there was plenty of room for improvement in the AF system. I guess we'll have to wait for the camera to be released to know for sure, but I still have no reason to think pentax is lying when they say they completely overhauled the AF system.
There is ever reason to suspect it, same 11 points! How long have we been lead to believe by Pentax that this same 11 AF point system has been fixed now? Have a look at the history, the K100D released in 2006 had the same 11 AF point system!
09-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
There is ever reason to suspect it, same 11 points! How long have we been lead to believe by Pentax that this same 11 AF point system has been fixed now? Have a look at the history, the K100D released in 2006 had the same 11 AF point system!
As I previously posted, I don't need 11 points, I just need one that is accurate and fast. My AF selector never moves off center point.

09-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'd almost be happy with just 1 point too in AF-S, however that centre point is large enough to cause me problems. For AF-C I'd like more points and some decent tracking ability. In both cases, AF-S & AF-C, smaller points are better.
09-10-2012, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #24

I will jump into a Pentax FF at any cost lower than a M9. I don't care much of the AF performance.