Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter

What are the Chances of a Hidden Gem at Photokina?

I was really disappointed by the results of the announcements by Pentax. I really thought that Pentax would step up and produce a camera that was really worthwhile this year. I think the things I was really hoping for were:

1) Better AF (seems to be part of the announcement)
2) New sensor and/or processor (doesn't seem to be happening)
3) Better video capability (seems to have happened with K 01 and K 30 but a no show on new K5)

I wasn't around for the last Photokina so I don't know if Pentax is known for their super secret last minute announcements. Is there a chance that the K5II specs could change from here to Photokina (not that the development team will be making changes from here until Photokina, but that more impressive information will come out)? I find it hard to believe that the announced K5II is really what is going to be announced as the new "flagship". I just get the feeling that other camera manufacturers will be releasing new technology that will completely blow the K5 out of the water. There is no doubt that the K5 is still a really good camera, but does its hardware really justify 1200-1300 dollars from your pocket?

I'm not interested in this turning into another hope thread, I'm just really curious about what the trends have been in the past. Does Pentax tend to keep another card up their sleeves?

Is this denial stage normal?

09-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #2

The word "gullible" is not in the dictionary....
09-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At this point I'd guess it's 50-50. We'll definitely see some new technology soon, but it might not be this soon.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-11-2012, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
The word "gullible" is not in the dictionary....
This from someone who's declared an intention to move to another brand? Perhaps "smug" isn't there either?

@reivax - I don't think Pentax has been known for the "Just one more thing" type of announcement. The problem as I see it is that people spend too much time creating wish lists and then putting them out in the aether so that they start to appear realistic after a while. Then, when reality sets in, so does disappointment. I wouldn't worry too much in this instance, because this is what happens with children and young adults in social media, with far worse consequences. I'd just keep on taking pictures, and watch what happens with the technology from time to time. The reason I just bought an LX was in part a desire to get away from the "newest and shiniest" syndrome that afflicts too many people here.

09-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
This from someone who's declared an intention to move to another brand? Perhaps "smug" isn't there either?

@reivax - I don't think Pentax has been known for the "Just one more thing" type of announcement. The problem as I see it is that people spend too much time creating wish lists and then putting them out in the aether so that they start to appear realistic after a while. Then, when reality sets in, so does disappointment. I wouldn't worry too much in this instance, because this is what happens with children and young adults in social media, with far worse consequences. I'd just keep on taking pictures, and watch what happens with the technology from time to time. The reason I just bought an LX was in part a desire to get away from the "newest and shiniest" syndrome that afflicts too many people here.
Very good point. I agree with you. I don't think (hope) that I've fallen for the shiny new object syndrome. I think I was just hoping that I would find something that would meet my needs. This is what is wrong with what is currently available (for me)

K5 - Lacks better video capabilites
K01 - Lacks optical viewfinder
K30 - Lacks mic input
K5II - Lacks same as K5 classic

It's almost as if Pentax keeps releasing that one feature/option that would make it perfect. I'm not looking for much. If I could get a K5 with the K30 improvements, I'd be set for a really long time. If my Kr had some better video features and a mic input, I wouldn't even be looking into a new camera. I'm still pretty impressed with the quality of images I get from my Kr.

I think if the K5 would have had the new Prime Processor, I would have bought it and never looked back. I don't need a full frame, I don't need 24mp. That is the frustrating part. I don't feel like I'm asking for too much.
09-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
This is what is wrong with what is currently available (for me)

K30 - Lacks mic input

It's almost as if Pentax keeps releasing that one feature/option that would make it perfect. I'm not looking for much. If I could get a K5 with the K30 improvements, I'd be set for a really long time. If my Kr had some better video features and a mic input, I wouldn't even be looking into a new camera. I'm still pretty impressed with the quality of images I get from my Kr.

I think if the K5 would have had the new Prime Processor, I would have bought it and never looked back. I don't need a full frame, I don't need 24mp. That is the frustrating part. I don't feel like I'm asking for too much.
No, you're not asking too much. I guess you need a K-5/II with better video capabilities. I'm just not sure what you mean by that - manual exposure control? 1080p 24/30fps? I suppose there's a small chance this will still be improved on the new model. But you're right, there ought to be some model that has it all.

Or perhaps you should get a K-01 alongside your K-r - as a backup plus video camera. You can sell one or both when you find the right upgrade. Buy used and you can minimize your loss due to depreciation.
09-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I think that we will see a new 645D LIGHT nex week. That's what I heard on the street in Germany.
09-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Berndsd Quote
I think that we will see a new 645D LIGHT nex week. That's what I heard on the street in Germany.
Well that would qualify as BIG news! (I assume you mean it will be cheaper)

09-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Kubler-Ross stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. Looks like you've got 4 stages left to go
09-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Berndsd Quote
"LIGHT" meaning: it will utilize the 16mp Sony APSC sensor too then?
09-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
not much chance i guess. But it's like lotery : we never know
09-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #12
Inactive Account

LIGHT means that it will have the normal mf-sensor but probably less features and it might be less robust. I am pretty confident that this piece information true. I've heard it from a very reliable source. However, it a few days we will know.
09-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'd say unlikely.
I'm really looking forward to what the k-5 IIs has to offer and hoping the reviews will be good.

Reading the posts, the April Fool "K-3" really messed people's minds up like never before.
Let it go people...let it go.
09-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There isn't a camera made that isn't lacking something, like a user.
09-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote

K30 - Lacks mic input
The list of lacking features you put up above can never be satisfied. If it satisfies you, it does not another person.
Its also a list of 'after the fact' missing points, which is why it will never fully met.
Its also not free.
All these features come at a cost.

Its still to early to conclude anything at this point.

It can depend on what the competition brings to Photokina too.

There isn't a camera out there with the current Sony 24mp aps-c sensor that has pulled away significantly from those using the 16mp (and the K5 in particular). So any competitor camera based on the 24mp sensor does not mean it will surely be better over the K5iis.

One can do the "showy" thing (and be wrong) or one can do the right thing (and be boring)
I'd think Pentax chose the latter path, building on the 16mp sensor that they deemed fitting to carry on in the K5iis.
Do you think that Pentax would not have had at least a few of the 24mp aps-c sensors to play around with to check for development opportunities?
For sure they have, and either they have concluded that its not worth the move up or that they are reserving it for a better camera.