Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #1

Please help with setting focal length etc

Hello,

I have just brought the pentax k10d, and i have a couple of lenses for it, one is 50mm the other is 300mm. Whenever i attach the lens to the body 'F - -' appears on the top screen, but nothing on the main one. How do i set the focal length ? Whenever i go to the menu the "Shake reduction" option is greyed out. I can't take any pics with the cam.

Anyone know what i should do ? Do i need to be on a particular setting etc ?

thanks a lot !

Tom

02-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What lenses are they, specifically? It sounds like they are old manual lenses, which take a couple of extra steps to use effectively. I could repeat it all here, but others have said it better than I can. You might want to check back through the archives, and on the knowledge base.
02-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomaplaw Quote
I have just brought the pentax k10d, and i have a couple of lenses for it, one is 50mm the other is 300mm. Whenever i attach the lens to the body 'F - -' appears on the top screen, (snip)

If the lens has an aperture ring, it must be set to the "A" setting.

stewart
02-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Sounds like an old manual lens with an apertue ring. If it is, then you have to change a setting in the camera, something like: "allow aperture ring". Then use manual mode, turn ring to wanted apertue, press green button. Then shoot. Also, be sure to have focus on manual.

02-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #5

It's not the Focal length that's missing, it's the f-ratio.

Set the options to allow use of Aperture ring
Set the mode to Manual
Set the focus to Manual
Focus until you get the hexagon
Press the AE-L button to program the shutter speed
Take a photo
02-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if it is a fully manual lens, with no "A" on the aperture ring, you will not see the F stop in the viewfinder, those lenses have no contacts to relay that info to the camera.
02-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

Specfically - go to the custom settings menu.
Navigate to the item that says "using aperture ring" - default is off - turn it on per p.35
In my manual go to page 210 to read how to use this featrue --- the "F--" message will NEVER go away when using these lenses. The camera has no means to know what the aperture is - therefore the "F--" in the viewfinder and the EXIF information is blank also.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL