Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #16

Hi psychdoc, it's a two way street.
Raving about a new product is a means of telling the manufacturer (if they care to read the forum), that they have done a great job.
Expressing disappointment or dissatisfaction conveys the opposite. It is what it is. Many people visit forums to gather information about a given product, and if all you had
was positive news and opinions, it would be all roses. Not everyone here has misgivings. As a matter of fact, there seem to be quite a number of folks quite
enthusiastic about the latest releases. But I have a vested interest in Pentax, and am displeased. Sales and marketing at Ricoh should be aware of that. Sure I can write to them, but it is
much more effective to voice my opinion here.

09-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
...I have a vested interest in Pentax, and am displeased. Sales and marketing at Ricoh should be aware of that.
I'm sure they are aware that there is a market for FF. Obviously, for whatever reason, they've decided the time is not right for them to jump into that market...and they may never feel the time is right, for that matter. If Pentax doesn't make the camera a person needs, why not switch? I love my Mazda Miata, but there are times when I could really use a full-size pickup truck. It does me no good to whine about Mazda not making full-size trucks, even though trucks represent a very sizeable portion of the motor vehicle market. If I want a truck, I need to look elsewhere. It's as simple as that.
09-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I want a K3 but I'll be buying a K5 (probably mk1, hopefully mkII) first... Full frame is something for me to aspire to...

I'm currently selling what I can to fund the K5 as I believe my photography has come to a point where I deserve an upgrade from my K-x...
09-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dunc's Quote
well,...sorry Pentax.
I have been a loyal user for over 20 years....Pro user for 18 of them.
But now it seems you have not heard any of us loyal user's...you dont seem to care about us and our views.
We have been posting on here and all the Pentax forums in our thousands for a Full Frame, and we were hoping the next announcements would be the one we all wanted, but all we got was an updated K5 !?
what a wasted chance.....
So, unless you have something held back, you will be losing a long time user....and when I need to up date my gear, Nikon will be on my list to call.....
Far from thousands... And a good percentage of those probably don't have a camera in the non virtual world. Its a pity that hard business logic has and will overcome your emotional tie to Pentax, but if you really feel that the extra cost of a FF kit to produce the quality that you feel your customers are missing is a real business need then I hope it works out. Perhaps you can hold back a Pentax body and a couple of lenses for when you want to enjoy your photography without work pressures.

09-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had some time to reflect on my decision to buy into Pentax, back in 2009. I suppose that it was due to brand loyalty, since I got my chops on a K-1000, M-X and then PZ-1p.
I remember the advice from a sales person at a used camera store (looking for some used Pentax primes), about not having much of an upgrade path. That has now become a reality,
as I have outgrown the APS-C format, or at least am looking for features that Pentax cannot or will not provide. I will keep the K-5 and lens selection I own for quite some time,
but in a few months the reviews of impending releases from Canikon will start coming in and I will make my decision based on their products.

Brand loyalty in the end is a fallacy. From all the different models out there, one needs to choose what works and one will be happy with. Some sober research is required to make informed
buying decisions. I can honestly say, that after three years of using the DSLR Pentax brand, reading and learning via manuals and the various Pentax forums, I have come to some useful insights.
I have captured nice images, no doubt, but there is so much more a tool with better features can do.

1. I want full-frame which gives me FX/DX
2. I want a state of the art flash system with a faster sync speed
3. I do not want to buy into the current and next generation of unreliable SDM lenses that carry only a one year warranty.
4. I want native tethering
5. I want the current/latest in auto focus technology, not some old 11 point SAFOX system with yearly upgrades that continue to lag the state of the art
6. I want access to a larger selection of third party components, be it lenses or accessories
7. I want dual card slots
8. I want to be able to rent lenses should I need them

...most of all, I don't want to wait any longer, until Pentax/Ricoh get their house in order. Maybe they will eventually get there, and if they have anything better to offer,
I might consider a product from them again. Technology can change fast; it can at times even be disruptive, but for now I'll have to go somewhere else.

Just in case, I have padded my butt with a K-x, K-7 and K-5 manual, to absorb the shock of the door slamming shut behind me.
I find myself in the same shoes as you. I'm seriously and reluctantly considering going to another brand for the flash system and third party support along with the other reasons you mentioned. I cut my teeth on the K100D and wish nothing but good things for Pentax. But right now it doesn't offer what I want and doesn't seem too interested in offering it in the future.
09-11-2012, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Thanks for this pathetic respons....
However, I have a right to my opinion.....and I'm not alone....far from it.
Been using Pentax as a pro ever since I started.(20+ years now, and counting)..so I think I can voice my disappointment with announcements like this...or are we only allowed to say good things in this forum?

If you're happy, ...I'm pleased for you.

I was hoping for a FF camera from Pentax as I love their lenses and the general feel of the bodies they produce.
I want this, and the benefits that FF can give in my Wedding photography as I like to shoot in natural and available light.
I've used my mates Nikon FF and the control he has in shaded area's, the quality in large prints is amazing, and high ISO.
I wanted this in a Pentax body....the K5 is an amazing camera....a FF would be better.

I'm surprised at some of the responses I've read on here, they are very childish, I expected more/better.
I'm not alone in being disappointed in not seeing a FF....just check out the Facebook page....and other forum pages.

Last edited by Dunc's; 09-11-2012 at 03:32 PM.
09-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Far from thousands... And a good percentage of those probably don't have a camera in the non virtual world. Its a pity that hard business logic has and will overcome your emotional tie to Pentax, but if you really feel that the extra cost of a FF kit to produce the quality that you feel your customers are missing is a real business need then I hope it works out. Perhaps you can hold back a Pentax body and a couple of lenses for when you want to enjoy your photography without work pressures.

The high ISO I like to use would be better in FF....I dont want to leave Pentax, I've been a fan all my photography life...love them.
just disappointed...

As for using cameras out of work....I still have my MZs ...
best 35mm they made IMHO
09-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I'm sure they are aware that there is a market for FF. Obviously, for whatever reason, they've decided the time is not right for them to jump into that market...and they may never feel the time is right, for that matter. .
The reason is most likely that the market for an FF Pentax just isn't large enough. Pentax iis a ~5% DSLR player and the FF marked is sub 5% of the DSLR marked. Theres is a reason that only Nikon and Canon, with 80+% of the DSLR market have been sucessful with FF. Sony flopped in spite of being sub $2000 and 24mp years ago. The new one may flopp too. FF is also a price snsitive market where Nikon and Canon have the volume and Pentax don't. A Pentax FF camera needs to be competitively priced. Pentax also have the challenge of releasing a set of new FF lenses.

09-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I was hoping for a FF camera from Pentax as I love their lenses and the general feel of the bodies they produce.
I want this, and the benefits that FF can give in my Wedding photography as I like to shoot in natural and available light.
I've used my mates Nikon FF and the control he has in shaded area's, the quality in large prints is amazing, and high ISO.
I wanted this in a Pentax body....the K5 is an amazing camera....a FF would be better.s.
I'm suprised you clients can tell the difference....
09-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

We have been posting on here and all the Pentax forums in our thousands for a Full Frame
Pentax never once mentioned anything about a full frame, as a matter of fact Pentax specifically noted that they are 100% committed to (and the advancement of) the APS-C format - unfortunately many listened to false rumors by attention seeking ______ [fill in the blank]. IMHO Pentax has done somewhat of the right thing, again they specifically noted many months ago they were committed to the current format and the new K5 upgrades show that they mean exactly what they said. Kudo's to Ricoh/Pentax for staying true to their words!!!

On a side note: I am still trying to get a used D3x at a descent price for a dual system setup (Pentax and Nikon will fulfill my needs).
09-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I'm suprised you clients can tell the difference....
Most wont to be honest (.....but I will )

Last edited by Dunc's; 09-11-2012 at 03:59 PM.
09-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Just in case, I have padded my butt with a K-x, K-7 and K-5 manual, to absorb the shock of the door slamming shut behind me.
Now that is pretty funny. Good luck with your new gear, whom ever it is from.
09-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The high ISO I like to use would be better in FF....I dont want to leave Pentax, I've been a fan all my photography life...love them.
just disappointed...

As for using cameras out of work....I still have my MZs ...
best 35mm they made IMHO
What high ISO FF camera would be better than the K5? I sold my D700 and I have been more satisfied with the DR and high ISO capability of my K5. Sure, the AF may be better on the D700 but that is not why I switched. I have seen some absolutely amazing shots at ISO 12,500 from the 5DMKIII but those shots were with extremely expensive glass and I don't have $3,000 to drop on one of those! I am more than happy with my Pentax equipment and I make a living with it. However, I would not chastise anyone for going to/buying another brand. Whatever floats your boat!
09-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
What high ISO FF camera would be better than the K5?
D3x is near 2~3 stops better in ISO performance than the K5, shooting 12,800 on D3x is like shooting around 3,200 on K5... (The reason why I am waiting for a deal on a D3x - I will be picking up the k5IIs also)
09-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Therre's more - wait till photokina is over - and keep your powder dry, or is that keep your memory cards dry
As tired as I am, I still have too believe they wouldn't have the large booth and then announced everything in advance - especially this interesting but underwhelming list.