Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 11:31 PM - 2 Likes   #76
Veteran Member
magkelly's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
Sorry I know that was quite a rant but I'm getting too exasperated. And some people here think I'm negative, lol. Really the griping around here has gotten to absurd levels and the new cameras aren't even officially out yet! I mean Cripes, let's just expect miracles out of Ricoh-Pentax and get severely nose out of joint disappointed when they don't deliver exactly 100% of what was speculated, and the key word there is SPECULATED, in record speed time. Asking for the moon, legal, speculating that you "might" get it legal, but when you don't actually get the moon you can't then complain that you didn't get it. That's rather like asking Santa for a million bucks and crying foul when you get a $50 bill and a Satsuma orange in your stocking as usual instead. Sure, a million bucks would be nice, but take the darned $50 and eat the darned Satsuma and be grateful, darn it, laugh...

Points if you got the Satsuma reference....wink...

(The Doctor: Not bad for a man in his jim jams. Very Arthur Dent. Now, there was a nice man. Although what have I got in here? A satsuma. Ah, that friend of your mother's. He does like his snacks, doesn't he? But doesn't that just sum up Christmas? You go through all those presents and right at the end tucked away in the bottom there's always one stupid old satsuma. The Sycorax warrior gets up to attack the Doctor who launches the satsuma at a release mechanism. End of Sycorax warrior. No second chances. I'm that sort of a man.)

I've never been able to eat one of those and not think about that bit of Who ever since. The point I think The Doctor was trying to make it that those "same old, same old" things can often be more useful than you might think. It's so easy to see the humble orange as being nothing special, as useless, but when you really LOOK at it, it may be that you can get more use out of it than you might think.

I'm that way with cameras too. I don't really look at my K-x and think"Oh well it's too bad it's not a K-5." I use it to it's full capacity and I'm grateful for it. Yeah, I want a K-30 someday. Who wouldn't? But that doesn't mean I am simply going to toss one of the best little DSLR's on the planet either. The K-5 is a darn good camera. It's like a Godiva covered orange and that's still not enough? Really? Like I said. Too darned SPOILED....:P

09-13-2012, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #77
Veteran Member
hks_kansei's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 795
I want Pentax to release a camera with the 645d sensor
In a body the size of my ME
for $1.50

09-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #78
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,546
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Sorry I know that was quite a rant but I'm getting too exasperated. And some people here think I'm negative, lol. Really the griping around here has gotten to absurd levels and the new cameras aren't even officially out yet! I mean Cripes, let's just expect miracles out of Ricoh-Pentax and get severely nose out of joint disappointed when they don't deliver exactly 100% of what was speculated, and the key word there is SPECULATED, in record speed time. Asking for the moon, legal, speculating that you "might" get it legal, but when you don't actually get the moon you can't then complain that you didn't get it. That's rather like asking Santa for a million bucks and crying foul when you get a $50 bill and a Satsuma orange in your stocking as usual instead. Sure, a million bucks would be nice, but take the darned $50 and eat the darned Satsuma and be grateful, darn it, laugh...

Points if you got the Satsuma reference....wink...

(The Doctor: Not bad for a man in his jim jams. Very Arthur Dent. Now, there was a nice man. Although what have I got in here? A satsuma. Ah, that friend of your mother's. He does like his snacks, doesn't he? But doesn't that just sum up Christmas? You go through all those presents and right at the end tucked away in the bottom there's always one stupid old satsuma. The Sycorax warrior gets up to attack the Doctor who launches the satsuma at a release mechanism. End of Sycorax warrior. No second chances. I'm that sort of a man.)

I've never been able to eat one of those and not think about that bit of Who ever since. The point I think The Doctor was trying to make it that those "same old, same old" things can often be more useful than you might think. It's so easy to see the humble orange as being nothing special, as useless, but when you really LOOK at it, it may be that you can get more use out of it than you might think.

I'm that way with cameras too. I don't really look at my K-x and think"Oh well it's too bad it's not a K-5." I use it to it's full capacity and I'm grateful for it. Yeah, I want a K-30 someday. Who wouldn't? But that doesn't mean I am simply going to toss one of the best little DSLR's on the planet either. The K-5 is a darn good camera. It's like a Godiva covered orange and that's still not enough? Really? Like I said. Too darned SPOILED....:P
I didn't like that scene.. very Un-Doctorish if you ask me. Then again Tennant overacted and was too 'tough guy' in that scene.. ..but it was his 1st day on the job so...
09-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #79
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
Hmm, this is the first time I sense that, this FF thing is turned to be a source of inferiority complex among some Pentaxians. IMO another strong reason for producing FF for Pentax/Ricoh. BTW most probably some of the executives are aware or even reading this forum,

I also believe if Pentax will produce an FF camera will be decision of not only Pentax but also Sony too, I mean Sony has the power of retaining or delaying Pentax producing an FF in some extend.

09-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #80
Veteran Member
magkelly's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I didn't like that scene.. very Un-Doctorish if you ask me. Then again Tennant overacted and was too 'tough guy' in that scene.. ..but it was his 1st day on the job so...
Nothing against Matt Smith, but once he's gone he's gone. He's good enough but he's just not a Doctor I can love, and I've honestly tried. Doc 10 will live in my heart and on my screen forever. I'm a 5/10 Whovian. 5 was my first Doc and I still love Peter Davison's Doctor before any other classic one, but Tennant was THE Doctor for me absolutely. (It tickles me that that the two are now related by marriage.) Excepting the Timeflight CIN bit with both of them which was too, too awesome my favorite scene in all of his tenure was this one actually. Alas, video of it is not available now or I'd post it for all to see...

The Doctor:You know what? I really liked Anita. She was brave, even when she was crying. And she never gave in. And you ate her. But I'm going to let that pass. Just as long as you let them pass.
Vashta Nerada: How long have you known?
The Doctor: I counted the shadows. You only have one now.
The Vashta Nerade advance, slowly....
The Doctor: Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I liked. That is not a safe place to stand. I'm The Doctor and you're in the biggest library in the Universe. (Long, long pause....) LOOK ME UP....
The Vashta Nerada do so then duly and sensibly retreat....

I think Tennant was absolutely born to play The Doctor. As for overacting what actor playing The Doctor didn't overact at times? Dr Who isn't exactly Shakespeare quality material. It's a kid's show. Overacting is part of the character at times. Matt Smith does it all the time actually, cough. The only person I've seen recently who I think just might outclass Tennant would be Benedict Cumberbatch. Him I would KILL to see in the Tardis, as either The Doctor or maybe The Master but alas, I think that's less likely than a FF Pentax.

We just might be getting multiple Doctors for the anniversary next year though. Tennant is hinting hard that his alternate Doc will make an appearance with or without Rose and Paul McGann said something rather mysterious about doors still being open for the 50th too. If we actually get Smith, Tennant, and McGann on a story for the anniversary I am going to be so, so happy!!! Eccleston probably won't touch it given the way his tenure ended and his stated reluctance to revisit the role on screen, but I'd dearly love it if we could have The 4 Doctors. Three will do though so long as two of them are Tennant and McGann. I really want McGann even more than Tennant actually. I thought the movie was lame but I liked his 8th Doctor a lot and I always wanted to see him back in the role on screen. He's fabulous in the audios as 8....

But Tennant? He's a Whovian God in so far as I am concerned. I'd cheerfully put his face on a T-shirt and wear it anytime, and for the record I just don't do that, offer to put someone's face on my chest as a major fan thing. Too tacky, but I'd make an exception for THIS guy....(Smooch...)

Last edited by magkelly; 05-20-2015 at 10:46 AM.
09-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #81
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,546
Re' Tennant: His "What? What? What? thing got old for me.

Eccleston and Tom Baker (if you can get past the Harpo Marx impersonation) were the best for me (I didn't mind McGann in the movie either) but I never found Peter Davidson all that interesting. And as you say, Davidsons now Tennant's father in law as Tennant is married to Davidson's daughter who played the 'clone' daughter of the Doc' in an episode.

I don't think much of any of the Matt Smith story lines although there are a few 'masterpieces' in the Tenant period (e.g. Blink, Impossible Planet, Satan Pit and Girl in The Fire Place etc). Dr Who is more surrealism these days than quirky Sci-Fi I feel.

PS: You're right. You can't play The Doctor and not ham it up.
09-14-2012, 04:04 AM   #82
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoek van Holland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,252
QuoteOriginally posted by Dunc's Quote
well,...sorry Pentax.
I have been a loyal user for over 20 years....Pro user for 18 of them.
But now it seems you have not heard any of us loyal user's...you dont seem to care about us and our views.
We have been posting on here and all the Pentax forums in our thousands for a Full Frame, and we were hoping the next announcements would be the one we all wanted, but all we got was an updated K5 !?
what a wasted chance.....
So, unless you have something held back, you will be losing a long time user....and when I need to up date my gear, Nikon will be on my list to call.....

I am sorry, but pentax didn't let you down. They never made any promis to you that they would anounce a FF with the latest anouncment. Would they have made that promiss, then yes they would have let you down. But you had high expectations, because a FF is what you want, but that didn't come through. so yes you can be dissapointed, but pentax never let you down.
09-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #83
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
Now this is the first time I really want to Pentax release an FF. Real soon to protect bunch of Pentax users mental integrity.

09-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #84
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,197
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Pentax as a camera brand is not aimed at the Pro. They've always catered to the amateur to the serious enthusiast neither of whom are probably all that interested in FF. FF cameras cost too much $$$ for people at the level that Pentax tends to sell to. That is the bottom line.
You're right. That IS the bottom line...and it's how Pentax has always been. Also, I wanted to comment on Pentax's lack of advertising. More and more, I'm coming to believe that it might be a bit of a weeding out process intended to find Pentax's core users. I think Pentax wants to be like Subaru...a company that doesn't do a great deal of large-scale national advertising, but who relies on the quality of their product and word-of-mouth to bring in buyers and keep them.
09-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,437
I don't know. I do hope that Pentax comes out with new, bright and shiny gear -- glass and bodies, but I guess I am content to wait. I know that this is a forum that is more about talking about gear than shooting photos, but I feel like I have not hit the limitations of my current gear. My wife shoots professionally -- both portraits and weddings and she also feels like she is (edit for missing word) not limited by the gear. In this situation, I will keep taking photos with my K5s and DA */limited lenses and see what comes about. If it is a year or year and a half till there is something tempting for me to buy, so be it. That is Pentax's problem and not mine.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-14-2012 at 07:48 AM.
09-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #86
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,197
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My wife shoots professionally -- both portraits and weddings and she also feels like she is limited by the gear.
Does she feel more limited in weddings than in portraits? And, if she feels equally limited in portraits, I assume she must be shooting available light portraits, right?
09-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,437
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Does she feel more limited in weddings than in portraits? And, if she feels equally limited in portraits, I assume she must be shooting available light portraits, right?
Sorry. She does not feel limited by her gear in either situation.
09-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #88
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,197
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sorry. She does not feel limited by her gear in either situation.
Nevermind...I can't figure out how to delete my response. lol
09-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #89
Senior Member
noVICE's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
Personally I don't think that we have given Ricoh enough time. Launching into FF is a huge undertaking for Pentax and would require research, management and planning. I was thrilled enough recently to have lens road maps and the indication that Ricoh did not just buy Pentax for intellectual property and dissolve the brand. They would have had Hoya's rubbish to deal with and projects in the pipeline (like the Q) that they would have had to ride with to avoid a large loss of R'n'D. I get the feeling also that there might be a little "Call of Duty syndrome" with a huge amount of attention going to the D600 and the various other FF SLRs that are drawing the media currently. My guess is that Pentax will get a FF in the not too distant future, but it is going to require some serious R'n'D to offer us something that we would be willing to forgo the offerings of Canikon. Auto focus speed is just the tip of the iceberg.

So, to the Pros who feel they need to move on, that's fine. If i were in your shoes i would do the same. But with the movement of Pentax pricing in the upwards direction it is inevitable that Pentax is going to go head to head with Canikon soon and when the Pentax FF hits i hope that it will inspire the same joy in those that have left that they previously felt when using Pentax.
09-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #90
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Pentax as a camera brand is not aimed at the Pro. They've always catered to the amateur to the serious enthusiast neither of whom are probably all that interested in FF. FF cameras cost too much $$$ for people at the level that Pentax tends to sell to. That is the bottom line.
Then please explain the 560/5.6 lens at $7,000 and the 645D system.

People on a budget will still look at what the pros use and get a cheaper product from that brand. You can cater to a group of enthusiast users, but you need to be able to provide them an attractive ecosystem.

Don't kid yourself - Ricoh/Pentax do want to cater to pros. They just don't seem to be able to figure out an effective way.

As for the enthusiast segment, Pentax cameras used to be a great deal, but Canon and Nikon closed the gap, Sony is providing a serious system too, and mirrorless systems are delivering the fatal blow. Today there is no advantage for a new customer to invest in Pentax versus one of *any* other brands. The lens lineup has holes, third party lens support is hesitant, what is there to rejoice about? We don't even have a modern set of extension tubes - that is ridiculous. This is not a question of missing FF, but of missing the point on how to serve your customers.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, pentax, photography, user
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top