Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #1

Sorry Pentax. You've let me down :(

well,...sorry Pentax.
I have been a loyal user for over 20 years....Pro user for 18 of them.
But now it seems you have not heard any of us loyal user's...you dont seem to care about us and our views.
We have been posting on here and all the Pentax forums in our thousands for a Full Frame, and we were hoping the next announcements would be the one we all wanted, but all we got was an updated K5 !?
what a wasted chance.....
So, unless you have something held back, you will be losing a long time user....and when I need to up date my gear, Nikon will be on my list to call.....

09-11-2012, 11:00 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
09-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Let.s us know when you sell your stuff. Have fun on the side
09-11-2012, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dunc's...I hear you. I was disappointed too. I just keep trying to remind myself that they really haven't had long enough to do the right amount of R&D to get the kind of FF offering that we want out. I did not really expect FF at photokina, but I thought we might see a better aps-c offering. Still, that could come at CP. At this point, a nice solid rumor would keep me on.

09-11-2012, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Therre's more - wait till photokina is over - and keep your powder dry, or is that keep your memory cards dry
09-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What's wrong with Nikon?
IMO. it is wiser to buy into what is than to buy into what can be.
09-11-2012, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Hey, don't give up yet... We still have yet to see the K-3.

09-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #8

Of course, if you're dissatisfied with a product you should vote with your feet/dollars. I'm always sorry to see a user of Pentax leave, but that's a personal decision. Personally, though, I have never understood the dying need that some think they have for what we call a "full frame" sensor. Would it be that much better than the APS-C sized sensor? I'm not feeling it. However, if you are, then you should definitely buy a brand that offers what you desire.
09-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
What's wrong with Nikon?
IMO. it is wiser to buy into what is than to buy into what can be.
+1

What's wrong with buying a Nikon or Canon FF when you need FF, hell you should have done it years ago if you ask me, it's just a camera, a tool....
09-11-2012, 11:44 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

These posts crack me up. Woe is me, Pentax let me down, I'm gonna switch, my life is over.

Go ahead. Sell your gear and get the heck out. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out either.

Ricoh took over what many of us felt was a failing company less than a year ago. For them to make the needed changes to their flagship model in that period of time, plus come out with the other new products, is to me very commendable. Much more preferable than if they came out with a full frame that was rushed to market with numerous flaws. I'd wager that none of the doomsayers have a clue as to what is required to bring a new product to market, not only in cost, but time, development and design. You guys remind me of fans of a football team who finished last in the previous season, who because the team got a new coach, expect them to win the Superbowl this season.
09-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
+1

What's wrong with buying a Nikon or Canon FF when you need FF, hell you should have done it years ago if you ask me, it's just a camera, a tool....
Yeah, but most of the "Professionals" out there aren't really as pro as they say. As in; they're not making enough to afford purchasing a FF Canikon with a generic zoom and a couple nice primes, in addition to their Pentax endeavors or they're only shooting *some* paid gigs, and just want to join the hordes of people who drone on about a FF.

Or maybe they simply feel as though they like Pentax better, due to superior selections of primes, cutting edge(For the price) weather sealing, insane Low-Light capabilities(Whenever they release new sensors, that is), or anything else they like.(Button layout, access to thousands of old lenses, etc...)

If I wanted a FF Pentax though, I'd just pick up one of the later film bodies and deal with it.(Heck, talk DR all you want. Digital is still nothing compared to high quality films)

Edit: Not saying a FF isn't a good idea. Would potentially draw some more attention to the brand, but I think lens selection and pricing is still a bigger issue for Pentax at the current time.

In addition to other things, Pentax needs some product line expansion such as:

A barebones entry level camera(Your T3[Not T3i], Nikon D3000[Sold at Wal-Mart for about 400$] and what have you.) Big market considering most DSLRs nowadays are purchased for one of two things: "Better Pictures" for the soccer moms out there, and "Pro" quality video recording.

AF system improvements. Yet to see the K-5 II, but I'm willing to bet it's *still* not as fast as some of the competition's Continuous AF. Low light could be drastically improved by making the assist lamp brighter, adding a second lamp to the left of the lens or having model flash override in extreme dark.(Like some Canon models)

A new line of flashes. The current lineup is...dated, to say the least, as well as rather pricy.(A new ring flash might be a good idea as well)

Perhaps some new accessories for the cameras. More defined looking Neck strap is a good start.(Current black/red one makes it appear to be a "Cheap" camera company) - I might be nit-picking here.

To elaborate on my statement about lens expansion, we still need some more "Low End" lenses. The 50/1.8 and the 18-270 are a good start, but they're priced way above the "Mommy Cam" level that's selling well currently. High end lenses also need to be looked into, as they seem to be a bit dated in some places, and the dreaded SDM issues still plague the 16-50 and the 50-135 it seems.(Perhaps maintain the optical formula, but change the shell slightly to allow more room for an improved AF motor)

More aggressive marketing might be a good idea as well, the only ads I've ever seen for Pentax were in Photography publications, and on some bus stops around town.(Yes...bus stops. Suppose it works, but a TV or Radio ad would work much better.) Perhaps play on people's memory of the company by resurrecting some of those silly ads from the 70s with a twist.

P.S.: Articulated screen might not be a bad idea if done right either.(IE: Still sealed. Wouldn't be hard to shield the wiring the connects it)

Last edited by Eulogy; 09-11-2012 at 12:03 PM.
09-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I didn't say it's better or worse just that the camera is a tool.
If you feel you that FF might improve your photos then who are we to say that isn't true?

ps. should we even care?
I don't see what all the fuzz is about...
09-11-2012, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
These posts crack me up. Woe is me, Pentax let me down, I'm gonna switch, my life is over.

Go ahead. Sell your gear and get the heck out. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out either.

Ricoh took over what many of us felt was a failing company less than a year ago. For them to make the needed changes to their flagship model in that period of time, plus come out with the other new products, is to me very commendable. Much more preferable than if they came out with a full frame that was rushed to market with numerous flaws. I'd wager that none of the doomsayers have a clue as to what is required to bring a new product to market, not only in cost, but time, development and design. You guys remind me of fans of a football team who finished last in the previous season, who because the team got a new coach, expect them to win the Superbowl this season.
Developing any new product takes a long time. Even the lead time on manufacturing the manufacturing tools (such as moulds) for the plastic of metal parts is several months if the moulds are going to be tempered properly to last a reasonable production run. The metal cutting for complex moulds takes a week or so, after the design is complete. A serious design effort for a product one has not made before, and getting all the supply contracts in place etc, and to get the design right so that it does not present a pile of niggles or unreliability is a MAJOR job. And before all that is the market research required to make sure the spec designed will actually touch the sweet-spot in the market. No point producing something that is almost there but has gaps or failings that mean that hardly anyone wants it. And the 645 is available for those who can spend major money and has an even bigger sensor! Any FF body would need to hit a price poitn between about $4k-$5k to sit between the current top end APS-C and 645 so that it attracts a different market, so as not to cannibalise the market for either of the other products.
09-11-2012, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #14

I had some time to reflect on my decision to buy into Pentax, back in 2009. I suppose that it was due to brand loyalty, since I got my chops on a K-1000, M-X and then PZ-1p.
I remember the advice from a sales person at a used camera store (looking for some used Pentax primes), about not having much of an upgrade path. That has now become a reality,
as I have outgrown the APS-C format, or at least am looking for features that Pentax cannot or will not provide. I will keep the K-5 and lens selection I own for quite some time,
but in a few months the reviews of impending releases from Canikon will start coming in and I will make my decision based on their products.

Brand loyalty in the end is a fallacy. From all the different models out there, one needs to choose what works and one will be happy with. Some sober research is required to make informed
buying decisions. I can honestly say, that after three years of using the DSLR Pentax brand, reading and learning via manuals and the various Pentax forums, I have come to some useful insights.
I have captured nice images, no doubt, but there is so much more a tool with better features can do.

1. I want full-frame which gives me FX/DX
2. I want a state of the art flash system with a faster sync speed
3. I do not want to buy into the current and next generation of unreliable SDM lenses that carry only a one year warranty.
4. I want native tethering
5. I want the current/latest in auto focus technology, not some old 11 point SAFOX system with yearly upgrades that continue to lag the state of the art
6. I want access to a larger selection of third party components, be it lenses or accessories
7. I want dual card slots
8. I want to be able to rent lenses should I need them

...most of all, I don't want to wait any longer, until Pentax/Ricoh get their house in order. Maybe they will eventually get there, and if they have anything better to offer,
I might consider a product from them again. Technology can change fast; it can at times even be disruptive, but for now I'll have to go somewhere else.

Just in case, I have padded my butt with a K-x, K-7 and K-5 manual, to absorb the shock of the door slamming shut behind me.
09-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

LIGHTEN UP EVERYONE. This is just a stupid camera. People are not leaving their spouse for a younger one.

You can change from a PC to Mac or even Linux. [I still use Windows-it suits my needs but have no problem with those who change to macs]. Same kind of thing. What works for you is what you need to buy.

Having said that, I wish people would leave without getting out a bull-horn to make 'THE DECISION' aka Lebron James. The decision was good for him but left a bitter after taste in poor ol' Cleveland. Could have been handled with better class...