Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c-meier Quote
Thanks for the praise and support!
As for other "revolutionary" ideas: no, not at the moment. But the sensor-shift anti-aliasing was somewhat of a sudden inspiration, so who knows...

I am not a lawyer, so, legally, I have no idea where I stand. Maybe my post constitutes "prior art" or something similar, maybe not, depending probably on a lot of things, including when the relevant patent was filed. Obviously, the moral question is more relevant than the legal one... since only a camera and lens are in question.

I'll let Pentax decide if I earned it or not If I manage to contact them, that is.

EDIT: Sent the email to Ms. Amber Renard of public relations, only person whose e-mail I found. pentaxinfo@pentax.com doesn't seem to be working, either.
I wish you best luck in your quest for compensation. It would cool if they gave you an K3 and a lens.

10-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I wish you best luck in your quest for compensation. It would cool if they gave you an K3 and a lens.
Indeed. That would be very cool. It was at least worth a shot... And who knows, it might even be good publicity for Ricoh, since I'd make sure to be noisy about their generosity.
10-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately patents for this go way back, both for sensor and lens shifting. The problem has always been the actual implementation. Jiggling the sensor is NOT the same as a well designed AA filter which splits the light into four beams spaced apart by the appropriate sensel spacing distance.
10-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Unfortunately patents for this go way back, both for sensor and lens shifting. The problem has always been the actual implementation. Jiggling the sensor is NOT the same as a well designed AA filter which splits the light into four beams spaced apart by the appropriate sensel spacing distance.
I think it is also a mechanical issue. Probably the only reason it was not implemented on the K5IIs is that the mechanism could not be vibrated fast enough. It might still make sense though to implement it for slower shutter speeds. If it is good for 1/1000 on the K-3 then it could probably handle at least 1/250 on the K5IIs.

Something that makes me wonder is that they have stated that it is good up to 1/1000s but I have seen no mention of flash. I am thinking that with flash it will just not work. It will probably work fine if one uses HSS at shutter speeds between 1/200 and 1/1000 but that severely limits the effective GN. (At 1/180 or slower flash does not actually work in HSS mode and instead makes just one very short burst exactly as in non HSS mode)

(edit: in the second paragraph I am referring to the K3)

Last edited by lister6520; 10-14-2013 at 04:23 AM. Reason: clarification