Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's just another tool in the box. Focus peaking won't transform your photography but it's handy.

Firmware is possible, sure, but whether Pentax will want to is another matter.

Fyi magic lantern just did an update for 5Diii which includes focus peaking

09-18-2012, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually, when you are shooting with non-DSLR, screen-based smaller cameras, that 1/3 grid is handy for checking horizontal or vertical alignment for composing...

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
just another software gimmick, a bit like the stupid superimposed one third composition grid feature ...
09-18-2012, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I'm sorry, you're just wrong. First of all, the viewfinders are not really that great for checking focus, especially if your vision is anything but perfect. Even then a lot of people buy focusing screens and viewfinder enlargers just to have a better chance at nailing the focus. Modern DSLR's are made under the assumption that everyone uses AF, that AF works perfectly and people only use the viewfinder for general composition and not for checking exact focus. Secondly, sometimes you are in a position where you cannot put your face right behind the camera, but with live view, you can still see the composition (and focus, if you have peaking). Peaking is a very useful tool and if its implementation doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I see no reason why it isn't included.
What you talking about? you kids only use the viewfinder for general composition now? Geeees how times are be changing. If your eye sight is broken, get yourself a split screen. That's the whole point of a split screen, Doesn't matter how sh11ty your eyes are you can tell a straight line when you see one.

People buy focus screens because the standard screens don't offer any manual focus confirmation. It pisses me off that they don't, but the seems to be how the kids are rolling these days.

A position where you can put your face behind the camera?? you know lens have guides on the front of them so you can tell when something is going to be in focus right... ie you can measure it in metres... More to the point, if the shot is that important, just take a bunch load at different focus distances.. Your not burning up film after all.

Wait you are probably using one of those auto-matic type lens things without a distance scale.. Man that sucks.

Focus peaking is great if you don't have a view finder. But you do! so get yourself a split screen. If you don't particularly use the viewfinder that much, just use that mandangled mirror-less thingamabobs you have and stop carrying around a chunky slr. I mean you don't dig a pit with a torch now do you? And you don't cook a cake in a frying pan.

It scares me that we will get to a point where all view finders will be electronic. Full of noise at shitty light, not being able to make a tree from a horse leg. siiiiighs

/end rant from bitter ol' sod.
09-19-2012, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
What you talking about? you kids only use the viewfinder for general composition now? Geeees how times are be changing. If your eye sight is broken, get yourself a split screen. That's the whole point of a split screen, Doesn't matter how sh11ty your eyes are you can tell a straight line when you see one.
What? I said DSLRs are made under that assumption, not that that is the way I do it or that that is how it should be done. Compare a viewfinder of a Pentax DSLR to on old SLR. The difference is immense! The old SLR is like going to a cinema! It is much clearer and easier to tell where the focus is.
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
A position where you can put your face behind the camera?? you know lens have guides on the front of them so you can tell when something is going to be in focus right... ie you can measure it in metres... More to the point, if the shot is that important, just take a bunch load at different focus distances.. Your not burning up film after all. Wait you are probably using one of those auto-matic type lens things without a distance scale.. Man that sucks.
Okay, first of all, usually you don't know how many cm or ft something is far from you. In most situations you won't have the time to set up a tripod, get a measure tape, etc. Next, what kind of lenses I have doesn't matter - fact is Pentax is making a lot of lenses without scales on the focus ring. This proves my statement about the assumption they are making. Also, giving the advice to just take a lot of photos with different focus? Come on, that is more amateurish than using live view.

Also, I prefer OVF to EVF. I just think that focus peaking makes up for the fact that most (if not all) DSLR's today have tiny viewfinders compared to the viewfinders from manual focus days. And the reason viewfinders are tiny and lenses have no scales is simply because the company making them is assuming, as I said earlier, that AF is perfect and nobody needs to confirm it, that viewfinders are hardly even needed anymore. I do not like this assumption and wish we were given some features that apparently seem redundant to the camera companies, but would be very helpful to us. Features like big OVF and live view.

09-19-2012, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What? I said DSLRs are made under that assumption, not that that is the way I do it or that that is how it should be done. Compare a viewfinder of a Pentax DSLR to on old SLR. The difference is immense! The old SLR is like going to a cinema! It is much clearer and easier to tell where the focus is.
Woah I missed heard you there. I got the impression that you subscribed to what you were explaining in argument of a sh1ty view piece. No doubt the Screen on my Spotomatic is clear and bright, but I still don't have any problem focusing on my K10 with a spit screen installed. I wonder what the magnification difference is...

Spotomatic 0.88x Coverage?
Pentax Spotmatic - M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

K10D 0.95x, 95% Coverage
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/61293-pentax-k10d.html

Heh. I still think the Spoti looks larger, must be the better coverage. Anyways

QuoteQuote:
Okay, first of all, usually you don't know how many cm or ft something is far from you. In most situations you won't have the time to set up a tripod, get a measure tape, etc. Next, what kind of lenses I have doesn't matter - fact is Pentax is making a lot of lenses without scales on the focus ring. This proves my statement about the assumption they are making. Also, giving the advice to just take a lot of photos with different focus? Come on, that is more amateurish than using live view.
I'm still actually surprised by how handy those distance guides are. I initially thought to it would be akin to using the rhythm method with a loved one but i have to disagree and champion the humble scale. Honestly. When you are not shooting at f2, your taking advantage of the depth the hyper focus distance allows you. So I've found setting it roughly with my eye turns out to be a pretty good start.

There is no doubt the trend away from calculations into automation, but as for it being amateurish to taking a few shots at difference focus distances... Well to be fair, If we were being pro trying to capture an image we couldn't see in our viewfinder.. well we'd tell the model to move wouldn't we

QuoteQuote:
Also, I prefer OVF to EVF. I just think that focus peaking makes up for the fact that most (if not all) DSLR's today have tiny viewfinders compared to the viewfinders from manual focus days. And the reason viewfinders are tiny and lenses have no scales is simply because the company making them is assuming, as I said earlier, that AF is perfect and nobody needs to confirm it, that viewfinders are hardly even needed anymore. I do not like this assumption and wish we were given some features that apparently seem redundant to the camera companies, but would be very helpful to us. Features like big OVF and live view.
You may feel view finders are hardly needed anymore, and with that point I disagree with you To think i'd have nothing to hide behind when taking photos on the street
09-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter

My eyesight is not good enough to focus consistently well with f/2 or faster glass, neither OVF nor Live with magnification. I sold off several fast lenses since they weren't worth the effort to me. If peaking will improve my hit rate I'm all for it!
09-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
If peaking will improve my hit rate I'm all for it!
If indeed. The focus peaking on my NEX-5 is very faint and often hard to see. Shoot in daylight and it's impossible to see.

It can help sometimes, but focus peaking isn't a magic bullet.
09-21-2012, 05:34 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Since I learned how to properly use a real camera and feel rather strongly about this topic I will now get condescending and rude so please excuse me or skip reading this post.

A skilled driver can accelerate, shift and brake more effectively and have more control over a car in rain snow or hell on the road without traction control, an automatic transmission and ABS brakes. Why are all those standard on cars now? Because people are lazy morons that don't want to learn how to use their damn equipment properly.

A camera is a tool a photographer uses to compose a picture. A modern DSLR is a tool that takes a picture for any clown able to point it. With the magical auto fix features in Photoshop they don't even have to be GOOD at pointing it anymore.