Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus peaking can be done through firmware update?

From my understanding, focus peaking is a software implementation.
So why it can't be added through a firmware update for K5??

Lee

09-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I can see not wanting to add it to old models, but it does seem strange they didn't put it on the K-5 II. Maybe the processor isn't up to it...
09-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Because Pentax doesn't add features through firmware updates. Unless you count SDM for the K10D and SDXC for the K-x, K-r, & K-5. Did the K-7 get SDXC?
09-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
HSV
Veteran Member

Maybe it's because there's the notion that "pro's" don't use those technologies.

So far, only Sony and Pentax have implemented this, and on lower end cameras. Being realistic, I haven't seen any "pro" using Pentax and Sony.

09-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I was really hoping peaking would be on those K-5ii's.. since I have it on my K-01, I almost can't imagine buying a DSLR without it.
09-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
Maybe it's because there's the notion that "pro's" don't use those technologies.

So far, only Sony and Pentax have implemented this, and on lower end cameras. Being realistic, I haven't seen any "pro" using Pentax and Sony.
Any notion that pros don't use focus peaking is only partially accurate. Focus peaking comes from the video world and it's on all high end field monitors. It's on my DP6. Maybe still photography is just a bit behind the moving image in this case.
09-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
...Did the K-7 get SDXC?
I think so.

09-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

When I bought my (used) NEX-5 it didn't have focus peaking. Then Sony did a firmware upgrade and added it as a feature. So yes, I think Pentax could make it available via firmware.

I don't think it is CPU intensive - some of those $100 eBay field monitors have focus peaking built-in, and I doubt they have a lot of CPU horsepower in them.

Having said all that, I don't find focus peaking terribly useful as a focus aid - zooming in on the focus target is usually a better way to nail focus for me with manual lenses on the NEX, and you can do that now with the K-5 via liveview.
09-12-2012, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
From my understanding, focus peaking is a software implementation.
So why it can't be added through a firmware update for K5??
What would be the point of having it ?

The whole idea of a DSLR is that you have an optical viewfinder so that you can actually see what you taking a shot of, rather than watching some time delayed low resolution bastardised version of reality, usually at arms length. It is not that hard to focus accurately with the existing system or even (god forbid) manually
09-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Because Pentax doesn't add features through firmware updates. Unless you count SDM for the K10D and SDXC for the K-x, K-r, & K-5. Did the K-7 get SDXC?
The K-7 did get the 2-way level as a parting gift; not sure about SDXC.
09-13-2012, 04:42 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
What would be the point of having it ?

The whole idea of a DSLR is that you have an optical viewfinder so that you can actually see what you taking a shot of, rather than watching some time delayed low resolution bastardised version of reality, usually at arms length. It is not that hard to focus accurately with the existing system or even (god forbid) manually
I'm sorry, you're just wrong. First of all, the viewfinders are not really that great for checking focus, especially if your vision is anything but perfect. Even then a lot of people buy focusing screens and viewfinder enlargers just to have a better chance at nailing the focus. Modern DSLR's are made under the assumption that everyone uses AF, that AF works perfectly and people only use the viewfinder for general composition and not for checking exact focus.
Secondly, sometimes you are in a position where you cannot put your face right behind the camera, but with live view, you can still see the composition (and focus, if you have peaking). Peaking is a very useful tool and if its implementation doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I see no reason why it isn't included.
09-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I bet the hardware (Prime II) is not fast enough for the software to support focus-peaking in realtime. It would be unusable if it took several seconds from twisting the focus ring until the reading was updated on the LCD.
09-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Peaking is a very useful tool and if its implementation doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I see no reason why it isn't included.
Having used it on a Sony bridge camera I can assure you that it is not the ultimate answer to accurate focussing - just another software gimmick, a bit like the stupid superimposed one third composition grid feature ...
09-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
I bet the hardware (Prime II) is not fast enough for the software to support focus-peaking in realtime. It would be unusable if it took several seconds from twisting the focus ring until the reading was updated on the LCD.
I think that's the point. In the past Pentax has updated the firmware with a feature if the hardware supported it. SDHC for the *ist, SDXC, 2-way level, etc. Another clue is that the K-5 II has Prime II and doesn't have focus-peaking.
09-13-2012, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Having used it on a Sony bridge camera I can assure you that it is not the ultimate answer to accurate focussing - just another software gimmick, a bit like the stupid superimposed one third composition grid feature ...
Having used it on my K-01 I can assure you that it helps nail focus with manual lenses more consistently than with my K-r. Sure, its not useful when focusing to infinity or taking landscape photos, it doesn't help with hyperfocal or zone focusing, it doesn't give accurate DoF, it isn't perfect when taking photos of very busy scenes, but I think it is a useful tool and many of its kinks can be fixed. Gimmicky or not, it helps people, and people would like to see it. It is something that differentiates a product from another. It could be a nudge for someone who has a K-5 to decide to get a K-5ii.
Oh well.