Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Modifying Canon 5D focusing screen for K10

Hi,

got myself s decent deal on a Travor "big 180 split" focusing screen which I thought to cut down to suit my K10. I just got the screen and did some comparisons with the two screens. The split circle on the 5D screen is huge, and the micro-prism circle around the split is even bigger. All in all it seems like there will be only maybe around 2mm of the clean screen on top and bottom of the micro-prism collar. I'm suspecting this might have an impact on the metering? I know split circle screens affect center spot metering, but this seems big enough to throw even the multi segment metering unaccurate.

Does anyone have any experience on this kind of modification? I can post some comparison pics if I find my p&s somewhere, if anyone's interested...

09-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There is a 500 post epic thread here about using a Canon 5D focus screen here. Its a different "S-type" screen compared to yours but the same process to modify.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/142241-best-screen-ever-manual...anon-ee-s.html
post #43 has pics of the modification.

The lazy man's way is to order a screen cut to suit your Pentax already. I got an S-type for my K-7, it works great but does affect metering slightly with slower lenses. I have to dial in +0.7ev in most conditions.
The split type would affect spot metering generally (never tried one though).

K10D page here:
Focusing Screen
09-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
ASa

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, I do realize the s-type would be an ideal choice considering metering and autofocusing, and have actually looked into focusingscreen.com offerings, but as I didn't have to pay anything, this would be significantly cheaper option! But at least the thickness should be fine..!
I guess I'll just cut it down and see how it works..!
09-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
ASa

Original Poster
Hmm, didn't quite get the focus accurate, and the thickness is somewhat on the limit for the holder with the (too thick) shim, but my initial tests seem to show that the center weighted metering seems to be as accurate as it used to be. More tests are required, but so far I'm somewhat happy to the cost/gain ratio

Edit: I have to say that the huge split/microprism area makes metering pretty inaccurate, and it only gets worse as I close the aperture. Wide open it's almost okay, but by f/8 I usually have to dial in some -1-1.5 ev... So if you have to pay for this, it's a no go, and as soon as I get some money I'll be getting a type S screen (probably not from focusingscreen.com but an uncut one which will save me some 30-40€)

Last edited by ASa; 09-24-2012 at 10:34 PM.