Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear Pentax - About Tethering

Dear Pentax,

I think its great that you are working hard behind the scenes to bring a whole new vision of greatness to Pentax. Your press releases have hinted that there is a vast array of projects that are being worked on by the engineers and designers at Pentax, and this is wonderful news.

I know you have been bombarded by requests for a full frame camera, improved AF (which you are starting to bring out in the Mk II model of the K-5), and a host of other features and improvements. I would like to bring up the issue of tethering and Pentax cameras. As of now those of us with newer Pentax dSLRs like the K-5 have to rely on a private individuals tethering software. While I sincerely appreciate his efforts, there are features that are not in his tethering software, like ability to use liveview via your connected laptop, that I think are essential for a major camera maker to include in any tethering software. A full-featured tethering software from Pentax would make wonderful cameras like the K-5 even more useful and attractive to potential studio and macro users, and make your astounding O-GPS1 even more useful for astrophotography.

Nikon just announced that the D600 is compatible with the optional WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter for Wi-Fi connectivity between the camera and smart phone or tablet. When used with the Nikon Wireless app, control of the camera can be done from any mobile device. They are doing away with wired tethering and going wireless at a time when Pentax doesn't even offer wired tethering for its dSLRs. Please bring out a tethering software that is backward compatible with your modern dSLRs like the K-x, K-r, K-7, and all the K-5 models. It would be great if you offered it free of charge as does Canon with each of their dSLRs.

Thank you,

-Docrwm

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-13-2012 at 10:19 AM.
09-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
+1 from me.

Sounds good.

Pentax in general should employ more software developers to boost the capabilities of their hardware. (Canon in particular has armies of them - Ricoh would be very aware of this).
09-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

One more use for tethering, in addition to studio and macro: astrophotography.
09-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #4

Excellent message!

09-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Could not agree more.