Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting link on full frame vs film

Twin Lens Life ~ Fine Art Film Photography ~ Los Angeles Southern California ~ Bwright Photography: Digital vs. Film - Canon 5D Mark II vs. Kodak Ektar 35mm "Pound for Pound, Pixel for Pixel"

I found this very interesting reading...

Charles.

09-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A valid and compelling comparison. It should remind us that film and digital aren't quite the same thing...even though post-processing can compensate quite a bit.
09-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yap even not such good film as Ektar is better than digital FF. But Kodak bankrupted witch means film era almost at the end.
09-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I enjoy how this comparison was done in the real world without trying to make pixel peeping comparisons. Both digital and film have their strengths and their weaknesses and I enjoy using both of them. It was nice to see the pros and cons of each discussed in a straight forward manner instead of as an "either/or" proposition.

09-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Yap even not such good film as Ektar is better than digital FF.
It's not better per se, it matters what your needs are.
09-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Yap even not such good film as Ektar is better than digital FF. But Kodak bankrupted witch means film era almost at the end.
But their film division was there profit centre. REports by the companies claim that both Ilford and Kodak had increased not decreased sales the last couple of years. Film will never be big again if that is what you mean as the end of the era, that is already past, but if you meant that film will soon be completely gone, I think and really hope you are wrong.
09-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fujifilm sees which way wind is blowing, ends production of cinema film
09-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes and Adox announces a new film. No idea how big Fuji was in motion picture film but they stated a committment to still film for now. Film is not dead just taking a very distant second place to digital. Fuji has also produced new film cameras in the past few years so I think them discontinuing cinema film really means that their resources will be channelled to where it makes the most business sense from their product lines, film and also digital cameras.

IMHO it matters not how close film and digital are in resolution, digital seems more convienent, better at higher ISO in my experience and less expensive when shooting sports or events. Shooting film on the other hand is more satisfying especially with a fully mechanical camera, developing film is a time to catch up on some podcasts and printing is relaxing and more enjoyable than is sitting at the computer processing images, which I do for the colour ones and usually only in Lightroom.