Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #1

K200D battery drains very fast :(

Hi,

some days ago I left my K200D with fully charged Eneloops overnight in my camerabag (main-switch was off). On the next morning I wanted to take some pictures but the batteries are completely drained and the camera asked me to set date and time.

At first I thought that something was wrong with the batteries so I put some other Eneloops in took two pictures, turned the camera off and put it back in its case.
After some hours I wanted to turn the camera back on and again the batteries were depleted.

To examine the problem I measured the current flow and compared it with values which are in the service manual for a K200D (main-switch off, no lens, inserted SD-card). At the beginning it seemed fine since it was at the same values (50ľA). However about ten minutes later the current rose up to about 200mA! It's obvious that any battery would be depleted in a few hours.

So there must be something wrong with a hardware component and the effect does not kick in instantly.

Does anyone know this issue and has a solution for me. Except for that the camera works fine.

Thanks a lot.

09-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the internal clock is resetting itself, then the internal battery may have run dry, of something in the circuitry may be broken which is cutting the power. You may have to send the camera in for repairs or look into upgrading to a K-30!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
BoW

Original Poster
Thanks Adam.

Would an empty internal battery cause a rise on the current flow after some time?

Yeah sadly I think I have to consider sending it in. However I can imagine that the repair costs will be higher than buying a new camera.

About the K30 I'm missing the top LCD and most of all I miss the direct dials for spot,matrix... measure and AF-C ,-S switch. So no K30.
09-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd try one more time with different batteries - Energizer Lithiums, for example, and see what happens.

Perhaps the on-board battery that maintains the time-date etc has died and simply needs to be replaced. It may also play some part in the normal operation of other elements of the camera circuitry. But that will still require a visit to a Pentax service centre, I think.

Otherwise buy a used K-20D or a K-5 Or if you want to keep using the K200D, buy a 2nd hand one. Perhaps buying the K200D battery grip may even be a partial solution to your problem - they are available cheap now. I got mine last year for $50 new.

09-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Try cleaning the battery contact points in both the camera and the batteries. Dirty contacts can cause higher current draw. Used a pencil eraser to do the job. It doesn't take much effort and is worth a try.
09-14-2012, 02:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another possibilty is I have got a Maha Powerex C9000 battery tester/charger, when I first get it I found out that simple charging batteries cause battery capasities drop tremendously, like 600-700 MaH from 1900 MaH in 1-1.5 years, refreshing or breaking-in the batteries with the tester did help restoring batteries closer to original capacities. No problem since then.
09-14-2012, 03:36 AM   #7
BoW

Original Poster
I got a battery grip too and it doesn't make any difference if the Eneloops are in the grip, body or in both. The contacts are clean :/

Today I called a service partner and they couldn't say what cause it may be thus the cannot tell me what it would cost repairing my camera.

Last chance before taking it apart is to bye some energizers (the same which have been in the package when I bought the camera).

There is a dis-assembly instruction in the service manual but a internal battery is not mentioned (or I missed that part).

However I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Edit: I've read that a K5 uses a super-caps to keep date in its memory. Maybe a K200 uses the same technique so that is the reason why I cannot find a battery in the dis-assembly instructions. Can anybody confirm my assumption?

Last edited by BoW; 09-14-2012 at 07:58 AM.
09-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
BoW

Original Poster
I just got the report and the estimated costs. The technician said they will have to exchange its entire electronic and adjust the camera to its new parts. That would cost around 180€.

Now I have to decide whether I invest the money to repair it. As far as I know the (used) camera market I would get an other K200 or with a certain amount of luck a K10 within this price range.

What would you do?

09-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BoW Quote
What would you do?
Possible last resort try?
Older models service manuals - from the Pentax Hack site
there is a K200D.djvu (service manual - is this what you already have?)
in .DjVu format - WinDjView and MacDjView Desktop Viewers (Free - Win/Mac)
or DjVuLibre DjView (Free - Unix/Linux/Win/Mac) (has pdf converter - but see below)
(pdf conversions I've tried seem only to give pages as images only - no searchable text, so better off with a djvu viewer)

Haven't gone through the manual - but there is a section on battery consumption that may be helpful

Last edited by UnknownVT; 09-20-2012 at 12:13 PM.
09-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
BoW

Original Poster
I've read the service manual and based on the data in it I was able to determine that my camera has a much higher current flow ( SM: 50ľA - my cam 200mA). There is no section that describes how to fix this (therefor I think the service will exchange the complete main-board).

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Possible last resort try?
Older models service manuals - from the Pentax Hack site
there is a K200D.djvu (service manual - is this what you already have?)
in .DjVu format - WinDjView and MacDjView Desktop Viewers (Free - Win/Mac)
(pdf conversions I've tried seem only to to give graphics pages - no searchable text, so better off with a djvu viewer)

Haven't gone through the manual - but there is a section on battery consumption that may be helpful
10-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
BoW

Original Poster
FYI:

Got it back from service. They exchanged its complete electric board. And the problem is gone
I think it was worth the money.

Anyway thanks for your advices.
10-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BoW Quote
FYI:

Got it back from service. They exchanged its complete electric board. And the problem is gone
I think it was worth the money.

Anyway thanks for your advices.
Did they mention what is the problem ? I have a K200D and while there is no problem with mine, is good to know.
10-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
BoW

Original Poster
They said that there was a short circuit. But I don't know where exactly. Maybe some electrolytic capacitors (my thoughts).

I think it would have been more work for them to find the excact component.
Additionally, or maybe necessarily, they adjusted the camera to its new electronics.

Hope I could help with that information.
11-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #14

I have used a K200D since mid-2008. Now the battery indicator shows the Eneloops at half-life after four or five days in the camera, even though it has not been used. In some instances, the indicator shows up as full after the camera has been discharged a few times. The indicator shows a second set of Eneloops as having been exhausted more quickly than the first set. The Eneloops are charged with the recommended Sanyo charger. The K200D was stored unused without the batteries for about seven months and the problem showed up when it was used again. The Eneloops were bought in 2009. Seems to be a milder case of the same disease as in BoW's K200D.
Grateful for suggestions if any.
Chhayanat
11-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Three year old rechargeable batteries will indeed not do as well as fresh ones. Probably just time to buy a new set.