Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #31
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
In keeping with tradition, here's my list:

Faster "Do-what-I-think-not-what-I-say" predictive and divine AF.
Integrated coffee machine and dishwasher.
Optional nuclear-powered battery grip.
USB key, quantum entangled with the camera sensor such that images are instantaneously available back home, even when on the other side of the planet.
Delivered on an unicorn, of course.

And....a pony...

Meanwhile, I'll just go out and use my 2012 Pentax APS-C camera, which already is capable of much better pictures than I can deliver.

05-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #32
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Size of the VF is limited by the size of the mirror and sensor. The only way to mimic FF would be through magnification, but that would distort and darken the image. There's no way in the SLR design to make larger, brighter VF on an APS-C system.
Exactly! That's why it needs a nice EVF. The size of an EVF is independant of sensor format. And if you want it brighter? Just press +

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
and multi-platform.
What do you mean with "multi-platform"?
05-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Exactly! That's why it needs a nice EVF. The size of an EVF is independant of sensor format. And if you want it brighter? Just press +


What do you mean with "multi-platform"?
1. I have yet to use and EVF that replaces a pentaprism OVF. OVF is WYSIWYG. EVF's still all have lag and blurring and noise in low light. I'd much rather an OVF + excellent rear LCD. some day we will see EVF's that correct these issues, but it's not there yet.

2. Multi-platform means that the Pentax camera will talk to most popular devices, from iOS to MacOS, to Windows, to Android, etc. Pentax lets any app or plug-in talk right to the Pentax camera and control it. Lightroom, Aperture, a dedicated iOS app, you name it.
05-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #34
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
1. I have yet to use and EVF that replaces a pentaprism OVF. OVF is WYSIWYG. EVF's still all have lag and blurring and noise in low light. I'd much rather an OVF + excellent rear LCD. some day we will see EVF's that correct these issues, but it's not there yet.
That's great news!!! What OVF is that? Because the one on my K5 is grainy, small, and dark. Hardly useable in low light. And it's very VERY far from being anywhere near WYSIWYG. Being WYSIWYG would mean seeing the results of WB-settings, aperture-settings, shutter-settings, softwarefilters, etc in the VF. Which is clearly not the case.


QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
2. Multi-platform means that the Pentax camera will talk to most popular devices, from iOS to MacOS, to Windows, to Android, etc. Pentax lets any app or plug-in talk right to the Pentax camera and control it. Lightroom, Aperture, a dedicated iOS app, you name it.
Now THAT would be progress, I'm all for it!

But they would have to take it all the way then imho. Being multiplatform software-wise, whilst not being so hardware-wise wouldn't make sense. Allowing off-brand mount lenses to be mounted otoh would be in line with being "multiplatform".

05-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 392
I'm really happy with the k5ii. The only features I'd like to see added to it, that others haven't mentioned already, are built in GPS and an audio note recording feature. I want to be able to record audio notes and tag them to specific photographs.

I would also like to see the user interface be more responsive over-all. My most common source of frustration when shooting the K5ii is that it doesn't seem to have enough juice to write files to the sd card AND let me use the interface of the camera at the same time. I tend to shoot and check the histogram and then adjust and re-shoot so I spend a lot of time waiting on the camera.
05-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #36
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,737
QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
I'm really happy with the k5ii. The only features I'd like to see added to it, that others haven't mentioned already, are built in GPS and an audio note recording feature. I want to be able to record audio notes and tag them to specific photographs.

I would also like to see the user interface be more responsive over-all. My most common source of frustration when shooting the K5ii is that it doesn't seem to have enough juice to write files to the sd card AND let me use the interface of the camera at the same time. I tend to shoot and check the histogram and then adjust and re-shoot so I spend a lot of time waiting on the camera.
I agree, but I have no doubt that next gen top DSLR will be much more responsive. K30 is already much more responsive than K5II, and features like dual SD-card slots, better video mode, focus peaking, need higher processing power than K5II has.

- I also hope for more customization options, FI make the control panel on the back LCD customizable so options you hardly ever use can be replaced with something more useful. When shooting RAW there are many options on control panel not available as they are JPG only, and of the rest options there are some you might only set once when the camera is new. More customizable buttons would be nice too.
- More options on auto-ISO, with 5 options for auto-ISO sensitivity instead on 3 today (slow, normal and fast). With "extra slow" auto ISO the shutter speed selected will take better use of SR. With "extra fast" auto ISO shutter speed is better optimized for fast action.
- Auto brightness option on LCD:s so they don't blind you in dark conditions. Or some way to quickly turn down brightness without having to turn them off completely.
- Toggle option on AE-L so that exposure will be locked until AE-L button is pressed again.
- Possible to take full use of program line in Hyper-P mode, so it's FI possible to use sports PL even if you change aperture in Hyper-P. It would also make Hyper-P mode unique compared to Av and Tv modes.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, camera, dslr, features, iso, pentax, people, photography, pocket, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax should make a fixed lens APS-C camera! poll RonHendriks1966 Pentax DSLR Discussion 43 09-13-2016 04:04 AM
What would make you upgrade to the next flagship APS-C? Wired Pentax K-5 101 12-16-2011 03:28 AM
Pentax should make a fixed lens APS-C camera! RonHendriks1966 Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 07-28-2011 11:17 AM
Pentax, let's make a APS-C size sensor Rangefinder, Please!!! luke0622 Photographic Technique 33 11-28-2010 02:58 PM
Why doesn't Tokina make Pentax mount APS-C lenses? hyyz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 04-02-2010 12:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top