Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2012, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #16
Banned

Photos: Albums
There is only one thing that Pentax could produce that would be a perfect offering. It would have the following requirements:

1) FF
2) No OVF
3) No K-mount
4) Can use Leica M lenses
5) Has SR

It would draw attention from *everyone*. Oops, I guess it's not a DSLR.

09-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #17

1. Add the K-30 improvements like Focus Peaking.
2. Retain the K5/ K5II body (You can't improve on what is almost the best ever)
3. Image engine should be developed more.
4. Sensor should remain 16mp but need to be improved with time and technology changes.
5. A new better focusing (AF) engine (Focus points need not increase but the low light, speed and accuracy performance should surpass the predecessors by far)

NB: Please turn the whole lens line up WR, unless the advantage of the body is not used to the max and can help in lowering maintenance cost.
Enter the Indian market(you ll get a market which can account 4 abt 1/5 of your over all sales at present) which will help in increasing the sales(with a bit of intelligent marketing) and in turn lower the over all cost and vice versa.
09-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree. If they're going to highlight WR features as a Pentax staple, then at least WR the whole lineup with exception of the DA L zooms, DA 35 f2.4 AL and DA 50 f1.8, as the latter two are part of the inexpensive-lens group. Oh and yeah the FA 50 1.4 can be become a DFA 50 f1.4 WR... at least they can sell everything for a little higher.
09-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If Pentax just made a new k-5 with all the features of the k-30, 20-30 point AF that's significantly faster than that of the k-30, and an improved (touch or articulating) LCD, they'd score big time, even if they re-used the same sensor IMO.

09-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #20

I agree Adam that's exactly what I was waiting to jump to pentax the k30 features on the new K5 ... But I will have to wait :-( Even I have set my mind to loose flash sync at 1/250
09-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The K5 focussing system requires a lot of improvement AF/MF. Pentax promises again to provide a perfect AF/MF system with the new K5, let's see.
Instand image preview is also missong from the current K5.
A large apeture wide angle for APS-C is missing in the system. Weather sealed wide angles/primes are missing widely.
A clear statement on future sensor size. At the moment there is neither a complete APS-C lens line up, nor anything like a full frame lens line up. Where is Pentax headed? I am happy with an APS-C sensor size assuming that I can find dedicated lenses. The longer the FF discussion lasts, the more difficult it gets to decide whether to keep some FA lenses or not.

I am happy with most other features, don't change the sensor for APS-C, it just works fine, now.

What is good about the K5 these days:
In camera anti shake system.
Small footprint - although D600 is really close
Dedicated APS-C wide angles with very small foot print
Focus fine adjustment - not available in D600, but the K5 really needs it!!!

In combination with a K5II this could be enough to keep people happy for another year or so, but give us a long term reason/perspective to upgrade to K5II.
09-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Well, it seems that a lot of people were let down by the recent announcements of the k-5ii and the k-5iis.

So, lets take a minute to reflect on ....
Famous last words! This thread will be up to hundreds of posts within a week and somewhat over the minute mark I fear.

09-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If Pentax just made a new k-5 with all the features of the k-30, 20-30 point AF that's significantly faster than that of the k-30, and an improved (touch or articulating) LCD, they'd score big time, even if they re-used the same sensor IMO.
Yes, you have to wonder why they didn't do that. If they don't release a hereto unannounced model at PK I fear they're going to get swamped by everything else on show.

Maybe they'll show a new FF prototype, a new 645D.. who knows?

I sold 2x K-5s a few months back in anticipation of those kind of spec's in the new top model but I kinda feel double crossed now. I did buy a new K-5 for a decent price but I'll be selling up big-time after PK if things don't change for the better.
09-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks in advance! Now spill your guts!
Real good list to start. Some other attributes:
- Great AF accuracy/speed is also very high.
- Lens focus adjustment potentially gives a lot of value, IMHO, in that it could make some potentially great lenses into actually great lenses. (Reviews of 60D often blast Canon for omitting this feature in that body; makes it look like a significant cripple in an otherwise great performer.)
- "Enthusiast" level body - two wheels and "enough" external controls to help avoid most of the menu diving.
- Matches enough good lenses and flashes in the marketplace.
09-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
* An entry level camera with an OVF with 100% coverage and as much magnification as can be managed.
* I'd love a better focusing screen for manual focus. While I shoot at lot with AF, when I do MF there is a reason. No reason Pentax can't emulate some of the 3rd party options.
* It may be too much for entry level, but I do like the idea of being able to electronically superimpose a composition grid in the OVF - similar to the K-r's focus points overlay.
* I'd like a legacy screw-in remote shutter release. It shouldn't add more than pennies. Yeah, it's so I can use more of my legacy stuff. At a minimum we need something more than just IR. IR is not dependable in bright sunlight.
* I like some things about P-TTL, flash but true 'during the exposure' TTL would be more useful in a number of situations.

* And my biggest wish list item - a dedicated depth of field preview button or lever. Using a green button that has to be continually programmed to support many functions including DOF doesn't cut it. The DOF lever next to the lens on my Super Program was perfect - on a dSLR it would need to be on the opposite side of the lens from the e-dial so the user could adjust the aperture in aperture priority mode while stopped down, but I could get used to that.
05-27-2013, 03:48 AM   #26
HYS
Veteran Member

Better autofocus. My K-5 with the zoom Pentax SDM 17-70 mm fails very often.
And sometimes with the macro lenses 50 and 100 mm. It's a pity.
05-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
There is only one thing that Pentax could produce that would be a perfect offering. It would have the following requirements:

1) FF
2) No OVF
3) No K-mount
4) Can use Leica M lenses
5) Has SR

It would draw attention from *everyone*. Oops, I guess it's not a DSLR.
That would surely set a new high standard!

A DSLR doesn't really exist anyway, it's an oxymoron, the SLR-part of DSLRs is analogue.

Last edited by Clavius; 05-27-2013 at 05:19 AM.
05-27-2013, 04:45 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A decent AF system.
A decent flash system.

Add them to the K-5 IIs and look out.
05-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

High ISO performance that is as good as C&N FF. It nearly is now, so it may be achievable.
More, smaller AF points. Carry on with further AF-C tracking improvements. Speed, speed and more speed along with accuracy.
Auto lens fine AF adjust as mentioned before, and make it work across a zoom's FL range.
New flash system, radio wireless built in.
Individual flash EV compensation for direct and bounce flash.

More lenses with DC AF motors are also needed.
05-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) A large, flexible, optical viewfinder.
Size of the VF is limited by the size of the mirror and sensor. The only way to mimic FF would be through magnification, but that would distort and darken the image. There's no way in the SLR design to make larger, brighter VF on an APS-C system.

I very much admire Pentax for a K-30 pentaprism.

Better AF.
Better flash.
Wi-Fi or BT built-in.
Tethering, robust, and multi-platform.