Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #1

Used equipment - sold as new- what should i do?

I ordered a 'NEW' Pentax K100D reg kit from a VERY big and reputable canadian retailer's website last week- on sale for 449.99. The camera arrived today and it has obviously been used. Ready for this? Instead of 4 new alcaline batteries that Pentax ships with the camera I get my camera with 4 2000 nihm baterries, already inside the camera, WITH the name "Larry" wriiten on them in magic marker! Can you believe it?! There is also wear on one of the lens caps and the body mount cover.
My first dslr. I am flabbergasted and VERY disappointed.
I know the first reaction is to return it BUT i really want this camera and i know that the retailer is now sold out and so is everyone else it seems. What should i do?

02-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Complain and make 'em sell you a K10D for the same price. lol... ok, that's unlikely. I would call them and see what they can do to make this up to you. If you can live with the wear, maybe they can be... guided... into sending you an 80 - 200 tele... or other instore credit.

If you have another digital camera to take photos of this one and the batteries (that just kills me... ask them who Larry is) and tell them you will send the photos if need be.

George
02-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deckroid Quote
Complain and make 'em sell you a K10D for the same price. lol... ok, that's unlikely. I would call them and see what they can do to make this up to you. If you can live with the wear, maybe they can be... guided... into sending you an 80 - 200 tele... or other instore credit.

If you have another digital camera to take photos of this one and the batteries (that just kills me... ask them who Larry is) and tell them you will send the photos if need be.

George
I'm thinking of threatening to get Pentax Canada involved if the retailer doent make this right for me. think pentax would do anything / care?
02-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Igilligan

Does Canada have consumer protection laws

I would attempt to deal with the Well known camera store first. Give them a chance to fix their mess.
If not, do what ever is within the laws of Canada...

I would be so angry if it happened to me.

Larry

just kidding

-gus-

02-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinfox203 Quote
I'm thinking of threatening to get Pentax Canada involved if the retailer doent make this right for me. think pentax would do anything / care?
Never threaten to do something - do it or shut up :-)

Truly, just talk to the seller as an adult and explain the problem - they accepted a return without looking in the box, then sold it to you.

But yes, they should send a "call tag" to pick it up at no charge to you, and yes, you might ask if they can make a better deal on another camera such as the K10D if the have any.

And, no, Pentax would not do anything.
02-02-2008, 01:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I recommend what others say, just deal with the camera store directly, not with threats, just with calm and decent complaint about the problem. The only thing I would ask for is for them to pick up the return and have a NEW K100D sent ASAP. I wouldn't mention a K10d or another camera as it may seem opportunist and an excuse for the return rather than sticking with the original complaint.

Good luck.
02-02-2008, 01:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

P.S. Make sure you didn't order a"refurb" and may have possible overlooked any fine print on the ad or order form from your original purchase.
02-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How many actuations on the camera? You ordered a NEW never used or NEW never SOLD, either way I think the dealer was dishonest. I don't think there is such a thing as accident in this.

Good luck

02-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #9

Original Poster
RE 'How many actuations on the camera? '

I am hesitant to use the camera, is it fairly simple to power it up and get that information?
02-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinfox203 Quote
RE 'How many actuations on the camera? '

I am hesitant to use the camera, is it fairly simple to power it up and get that information?
Yes, it's easy.

Take one picture then get PhotoME (PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor), install it and open picture in this wonderful EXIF reader. Then look for tag ShutterCount.
02-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I don't think there is such a thing as accident in this.

I work in retail and manage the service department. Accidents are easily possible :-(

And, a couple posts up recommended not asking for a different camera but requesting a new K100D sent ASAP. The OP is assuming the store has none left. It appears some kind of substiute is required.
02-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I work in retail and manage the service department. Accidents are easily possible :-(

And, a couple posts up recommended not asking for a different camera but requesting a new K100D sent ASAP. The OP is assuming the store has none left. It appears some kind of substiute is required.
Problem is the only camera's they have in the price range are the nikon D40 and Olympus evolt 410 - neither of which I want. I may hit them to refund 10% and extend warranty to 3 years which would include 3 years unlimited cleaning as well.
02-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I can never find "tag ShutterCount" - where is it? Thanks.

I use the number on the image.