Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're missing something here. It's not JUST printing results. Pixel count's like horse power - ultimately there's just no substitute when you push the edge of the performance chart.

For instance, you can crop the heck out of a mega-pixel file in lieu of using a mega-dollar telephoto lens -- if that degree of reduced image resolution makes you happy, of course.

09-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
push the edge of the performance chart??

ke?
09-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Yup thats why 24mp is abit pointless unless you need to crop heaps.
Not really don't forget that the resolution of red is then 6mp, blue 6mp and green 12mp with those sensors.
And with more pixels they can also introduce a pixel for luminance for example, often called white pixel to increase the sensor overall sensitivity.
09-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It used to be that unless you had a 300 dpi file any print you made would look like crap. But a newer printer today can print even a 75 dpi and it will actually look decent if not spectacular. I still like a higher quality print myself but most people cannot tell the difference now. The quality of the sensors in cameras has gone up. Even an ink jet printer looks like what a laser used to. If ink wasn't so darned expensive I'd be printing all over the place. I don't even use the printer at home actually because it's cheaper to take anything I want to Kinko's down the street.

09-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #20

This is also on another thread, but applies here as well:

Points of sufficiency: do you really know how much is enough? ? Ming Thein | Photographer
09-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
Pentaxian

One of the salesmen I talked to at EXPOsure told me he's still shooting with a D700 and he has seen no reason to change, despite having access to all the latest and greatest. I suspect the D600 is being marketed to those who weren't smart enough to pick up a D700 when the price dropped.
09-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
. . . push the edge of the performance chart??
Attempt to squeeze more performance from a device than provided for in its design.

Try to make a dump truck perform like a Ferrari or make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.
09-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Try to make a dump truck perform like a Ferrari or make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.
Right now I need a load of gravel on my driveway, what good would a friggin Ferrari be? I won't buy a vehicle that doesn't have good attachment points so I can carry a canoe on the roof. Your argument makes about as much sense as reading the future with chicken guts. Just because it makes sense in your world... all that makes me ask, is what kind of world is that? Exactly who is a Ferrari a good car for. People with ridiculous amounts of money to spend on whatever they want?

I've got a bit of news for DSLR makers. I don't shoot movies. I used to teach people how to shoot and edit movies. It's just not something I like to do. Putting video capability into my DSLR is just selling me hardware and software I won't use. And if doing that means the camera is a Ferrari, because it costs more, then they are ripping me off.

Do you drink tea with your little pinky pointed up from a tiny cup?

09-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Right now I need a load of gravel on my driveway, . . .
Yeah, me too! An' my tea-mug's big enough to float my canoe an' takes two hands just to lift it most mornings. Can't say I've any use for video either.

Perhaps you missed the context about "pushin' the performance envelop" for prints though??

H2
09-16-2012, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Perhaps you missed the context about "pushin' the performance envelop" for prints though??
ya well what I was saying in my over the top way is that I don't think you're really pushing the performance envelope. If you look at the tradition of art history, sharp as a tack in prints has never been all that desirable. I think the whole movement towards canvas prints over the last couple of years is to get away from the photographers preference for ever sharper images, which is not reflected by changing tastes in the public, who tend to want softer images that look more like paintings. I'm not saying razor sharp image on an aluminum media isn't desirable by anyone... just that for lot of people it's not desirable at all. They want something a little more relaxing. To the point where I'd almost classify the hi-def tack sharp images of some photographers as more like poster art than the work of the masters. But hey, some people will pay a lot of money for a good poster.

Personally, I can never sit and stare at a framed print like I can at a softer more subtle work on canvas.
09-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well said

Anyway. For those whom haven't printed before, I can't encourage you all to go print something big : P
09-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Mega Pixels are stupid.
Yeah, at least that is what that Rockwell dude has been saying for some time now.

This makes me want to go print something. I bought the paper, but then I lost my darn wireless connection from my computer to the printer that I want to use and now have to figure THAT out.

Maybe my k100dS is, after all, good enough! For about what I had planned to spend on the next body I could get a good prime or two and maybe be better off still.