Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #1

Viewfinder is dirty, How do I clean it?

The view finder is dirty, It's not the exterior side either. It's the interior. I have to look through my viewfinder in an angle just to see the clear side of the actual photo. Any tips? I'm actually trying to figure out how to take it apart as we speak, but I don't want to ruin my camera.

09-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what camera?
I never had to take it apart, I always used an air brash ( compressed air in a can) to clean it out, worked always......
09-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Compressed air is a big no-no because most of it has volatile compounds mixed in with the compressed air. You can really mess up optics with some of the stuff that is commonly found in compressed air.
09-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #4

Original Poster
K-x. It's the viewfinder, not the mirror.

09-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

And not the focusing screen? For the viewfinder i use the air rocket blower thingy.
09-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for the Rocket blower It does the trick on my DL. Remember to hold the camera so the dirt falls out of the lens mount area instead of back into the camera.
09-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't do what I did!

There was an annoying speck of dust visible through the view finder on my k-5. I directed air from my blower (not the Rocket, but a less powerful one) at the focusing screen opposite the mirror. I think I made some progress, and I should have left it at that. There was, however, a little residue left, and I thought a delicate wipe with a small lens brush might do the trick. Unfortunately it introduced some more dust (or possibly static electricity attracting and holding dust) and the problem is now worse than it was at the start.

Any advice? I've got a Giotto rocket on order, something I've always meant to get, so I can try that. I know that focus screens can be replaced, so they can be removed and put back in place. If I proceed with sufficient care, perhaps I could remove the focus screen, clean it outside the camera and put it back.

09-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
Guys, it's not the mirror.

Basically what I'm trying to say is.. The rocket blower won't do jack.
Hold your camera, Now look into the viewfinder. Okay, now pretend that you see sort of clear oil smudge. You get your lens wipe and start wiping the viewfinder, you look through it, and it's still there. You then realize that it's on the inside of the glass somehow.

You can only see the image clearly on the top 25% of the viewfinder, both the 75% is totally blurred.
09-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #9

Could be on the back of the focus screen, if your camera allow to be removed you can remove it, use a blower and then put again the focus screen.
09-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #10

Original Poster
Where is the "focus screen" exactly. It's the window that hovers above the mirror, correct?
09-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes. and you can use tools to open it down and even replace the focusing screen. But I suggest you read up on that before trying it - the screens are very susceptible to smudges and hard (if not impossible) to clean. I would suggest you leave the focusing screen in there unless you bought a replacement. The dust inside your camera will move around anyway, because of all the moving and shaking. If i ts just a small speck on the focus screen, just ignore it.
Only dirt on the lens or on the sensor will show up on the photos. The dirt in viewfinder or focusing screen does not affect photos.
09-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! Na Horuk.

That makes sense. I may take it to a camera shop if they have the right tools. Worth spending a few dollars to have it done right. It's an annoyance and nothing else.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yes. and you can use tools to open it down and even replace the focusing screen. But I suggest you read up on that before trying it - the screens are very susceptible to smudges and hard (if not impossible) to clean. I would suggest you leave the focusing screen in there unless you bought a replacement. The dust inside your camera will move around anyway, because of all the moving and shaking. If i ts just a small speck on the focus screen, just ignore it.
Only dirt on the lens or on the sensor will show up on the photos. The dirt in viewfinder or focusing screen does not affect photos.
09-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I replaced the focus screen on my old K7 with a Katyzeye, and I have to say it took me a whole night.
so....
1) don't be afraid of cleaning it. It's kinda pretty far away from then mirror and the sensor; and it has a little mount on it, try and find some help on youtube.
2) Rocket air blower is the best way of cleaning it, even on the other side.
3) if you take it off, just remember: close your window, and do it fast. The longer it expose in the air, more dust could stick on it;
4) If you feel you don't have the patience, or you would rather say, you are rich, then by a third-party made in China one on ebay. will cost you $15 to $20 usd;
5) a final word, if you can tolerate it, then leave it there. It won't influence the IQ at all.
Best,
Bing
09-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #14

Just to add if you are going to work with the focus screen I highly suggest, tu cut a piece of printer paper just a bit wider than the mirror, and place this strip of paper on top.. Just to prevent something hitting/touching the mirror.
09-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #15

Original Poster
nevermind guys, thanks for the tips. But I made a simple mistake. It was a smudge from finger oil and I realized that It wasn't coming off with a lenswipe because it was oil, so I sprayed it with cologne because I knew it had alcohol and I swabbed out all the oil from the eyepiece. I could've used something else like a lens spray, but I just took whatever was nearest at the time. My viewfinder is now clean and smells great. Hahahah. Thanks everybody =]