Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #1

My experience with ebay focusing screen...

Ugh.

Bought this, and it finally arrived yesterday:
Diagonal Split Image Focus Screen for Pentax DS K10D - (eBay.ca item 170183637896 end time 08-Jan-08 00:33:41 EST)

I don't have manual lenses, but I focus on a lot of dark items, in dark lighting, something that no AF system can compete with. A split prism seemed like the way to go, as I use split prism all the time on my manual cameras, medium format, etc.

Installing the screen is a breeze, and with a pair of tweezers, it's of no issue whatsoever.

Once installed, at first I thought there was a problem with my camera backfocusing, as it would autofocus, but be slightly off in the prism. So, I'd focus in manual mode, everything looked sharp, and then I'd snap a photo...

Until I compared them.

Honestly, no point in me uploading them and showing them to you, they're that bad. Camera was perfectly correct, it was me, when I thought it was in focus by the split prism, that was dead wrong. The shot taken with the assistance of the prism was a failure.

So this begs the question, is there a good way to do this? Or is the pricier Katz-eye the only way to go?

I should mention that autoexposure isn't an issue, as I only use manual mode and a light meter for the work I do.

02-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FireMate Quote
Ugh.

Bought this, and it finally arrived yesterday:
Diagonal Split Image Focus Screen for Pentax DS K10D - (eBay.ca item 170183637896 end time 08-Jan-08 00:33:41 EST)

I don't have manual lenses, but I focus on a lot of dark items, in dark lighting, something that no AF system can compete with. A split prism seemed like the way to go, as I use split prism all the time on my manual cameras, medium format, etc.

Installing the screen is a breeze, and with a pair of tweezers, it's of no issue whatsoever.

Once installed, at first I thought there was a problem with my camera backfocusing, as it would autofocus, but be slightly off in the prism. So, I'd focus in manual mode, everything looked sharp, and then I'd snap a photo...

Until I compared them.

Honestly, no point in me uploading them and showing them to you, they're that bad. Camera was perfectly correct, it was me, when I thought it was in focus by the split prism, that was dead wrong. The shot taken with the assistance of the prism was a failure.

So this begs the question, is there a good way to do this? Or is the pricier Katz-eye the only way to go?

I should mention that autoexposure isn't an issue, as I only use manual mode and a light meter for the work I do.
my katz eye told me that autofocus was wrong 50% of the time of where i wanted it to be

then i just gave up and started shooting in manual mode 100% of the time, even with DA lenses, never looked back.

so i dont know what to say, my Katz eye exhibits the same characteristics as yours, but without all the negative stuff
02-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

FireMate it sounds like you need to adjust your diopter. If the autofocus is accurate adjust the diopter so then the manual focus will be accurate as well.
02-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Have you installed the shim on the right side of the screen?

02-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Have you installed the shim on the right side of the screen?
Yeah, that seemed to be the problem, I didn't notice it had come with the shim. Someone on ... the other forum... mentioned it.

I put the shim above the screen, and now it seems to work!